Needs vs. BPA

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Both/and. JS reiterated in a recent interview it's a balance. We've got 9 picks at this point? The way I see needs are (no particular order):
2 DL, 2 IOL, 1 QB, 2 LB, 1 WR. That's 8, and 1 just because he's a special player.
Unless they are enamored with one of those 4 top QBs, I say trade down.

At this point, I'm liking any of these in the first couple of rounds:
Keion White (versatile DL)
Darnell Washington (b/c he's that special player/ extra Olineman.)
JM Schmitz (you've been Schmitzed)
Zach Charbonnet (trading down we add a RB to the mix. Thunder)
Emmanuel Forbes (his wingspan stretches the width of the field and could use another Corner)
Jack Campbell (underrated playmaker)

Only part way through the combine so early still. Even with the draft capital, we're not going to necessarily be able to fill every need. But, like JS and others say we're continuing to add competitive pieces as we can.

Exciting times. Go Hawks.

Last edited:

sutz

Reaction score
It should always be a balance. You can never ignore team needs in the draft, but you don't want to be forced to pick someone based solely on need. That leads to reaches and bad picks. That's why they try to fill "needs" through FA bafore the draft, though again, they don't necessarily like to overspend on "superstars" that burn capital and often disappoint.

Sure, pick BPA, but always keep in mind what team needs are.

massari

Reaction score
Free agency starts before the draft, so who knows what the needs will be by then. If they don't re-sign Geno, they can afford to load up the front 7 and OL in free agency and trades