NaVorro Bowman on Seahawks: You have to earn hype

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Don't sweat it Hans, we call those "moments of clarity". You can always trust Tequila to help you find them.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
Guess I read that differently than some. If anything, I thought he was giving some respect talking about how the NFCW brings it.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
NinerLifer":2o3adjs3 said:
Shinigami":2o3adjs3 said:
He actually praised the Seahawks he sounds like a reasonable guy and most of what he said makes sense. Chill out people and take a compliment from a heated rival.

Exactly.

I don't understand why you guys are getting bent out of shape about this.

I know I'm not. Bowman did a good job of commentary. Outstanding player and like the attitude. Fits in very well to what I consider the most talented group of LB'ers in the league. They make that defense work regardless of what the line is doing. When you see the Niners defense giving up plays, it isn't usually any fault of that group.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sheesh, page after page about an interview where Bowman was giving us props, but so many are locking onto a quote taken out of context.

I agree with everything he said. You have to prove it again every season. What we did in the second half of last season doesn't mean squat unless we follow through. Win the division then we start talking.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I only find the comment intersting, because he talks as if the 49ers are some elite squad that's been around for a half decade. IN reality, the 49ers are new to the party of "consistent contenders" With JUST 2 good year under their belt, they talk as if they've been doing it for years.

That's why it's laughable to me. The Seahawks have to earn the respect? Pretty sure Since PC has come here the Seahawks have 2 playoffs appearances and 1 division title. That's pretty darn good. All the while rebuilding an aging and talent depleted franchise

Since 2003 (last 10 seasons) 85-75 (overall record) Seattle has 6 winning seasons, 7 playoff appearances, 5 division championships and 1 conference championship.
2008, 2009 were our down years of the decade. Pretty consistent and successful decade the last 10 years has been.

So SF-- since 2003 (last 10 seasons) 70-89-1 (overall record)-- They have 2 winning seasons with 2 division titles and 1 conference championship.

Both franchises appear to be built for long-term success. It should be fun to see to see how it all plays out. This rivilry kind has the potential to be similar to the 49ers vs Cowboys in the 90's, Or if the 2 QB's develop like we all hope, it could turn into something similar to what the PATS and COLTS had this last decade-- though being in the same division really raises the bar on the drama.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Someone should let Bowman know how average their defense suddenly looks when Justin Smith is off the field if he wants to talk about "earning hype".

Schadie001

Reaction score
Today on NFL Network they were posing the question "if we sign Antoine Winfield do we overtake SF in the NFC west". They said they believe we have already won the offseason over SF but they wouldn't say that we are better then them. It is almost like most of the analysts completely disregard the fact that when we were at our best and SF at their best we completely destroyed them. Yes, they beat us early in the season 13-6, them with Smith and we were still getting our sea legs. But with 2 weeks left in the year SF and SEA trying to win the west we destroyed them 42-13, with them scoring a TD against our backups.

Just because they went to the superbowl says nothing about SF or SEA and the NFC West. We are a more complete team and with our additions this year have left them in the dust.

Reaction score
Schadie001":1mql90l5 said:
Today on NFL Network they were posing the question "if we sign Antoine Winfield do we overtake SF in the NFC west". They said they believe we have already won the offseason over SF but they wouldn't say that we are better then them. It is almost like most of the analysts completely disregard the fact that when we were at our best and SF at their best we completely destroyed them. Yes, they beat us early in the season 13-6, them with Smith and we were still getting our sea legs. But with 2 weeks left in the year SF and SEA trying to win the west we destroyed them 42-13, with them scoring a TD against our backups.

Just because they went to the superbowl says nothing about SF or SEA and the NFC West. We are a more complete team and with our additions this year have left them in the dust.

Dream team, AMIRITE?

It's not even possible that a team like the Rams could possibly compete with the mighty Seahawks!

Hawknballs

Reaction score
ug. still pisses me off we didn't get to play them in the NFC championship game..that would have been an epic game.

camdawg

Reaction score
QuickLightning":22oyf2r5 said:
Dream team, AMIRITE?

It's not even possible that a team like the Rams could possibly compete with the mighty Seahawks!

Well, they probably can't count on having a fake field goal TD and two 60 yard field goals happen in the same game again. 8)

Hawks46

Reaction score
I don't get hyped up about this. NO pun intended. What he said is pretty true; we have a team that thrives on being underdogs and plays with a chip on their shoulder. We've all wondered the same thing: what happens when there's no chip ? How will they manufacture disrespect ? How will they play when they're expected to win, and not being "dissed" ?

Also, the whole "they only won the division by 1/2 a game" argument really makes us look like sore losers. The other side of that argument is that "1/2 a game" was in Detroit, Miami, Arizona, and St. Louis....all to losing teams, and we didn't take care of that business. Also, I agree that the pasting we gave them up here showed our team trending upwards, but that also gives the Niners a large amount of motivation at their house next year.

It's going to be decided on the field next year, and no amount of talking will change it.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I'm not really seeing any hype. Actually if there is any hype IMO it would be about the Niners. Every year you have to prove you are as good as your roster looks on paper. Right now the Niners need to prove they can replace their NT, Safety TE/HB and Kaep can get the ball to Boldin. There seems to be an automatic assumption that all those are just gonna work out. That is hype IMO. Seems it should be reasonable to question how they will make all those moves seemlessly while keeping Justin Smith healthy at 34 and Gore at 30.

So far the question has been repeatedly asked if we have caught or over taken them. I haven't seen or heard any media hyping us as super bowl favorites, even most fans are realistic for the most part. Sure some believe we are set up to make a run but why wouldn't you? It's not like we backed into the playoffs or even that this team was bad before Wilson arrived. 7-9 with Jackson was a reflection of how bad we needed to improve QB play (more than anything else) not a reflection of a bad team. Look at the games we won in 2011. Most should be credited to the defense and running game. It was pretty obvious in 2011 we had a very good team just needing a QB that could benefit the team rather than just plodding along.

Keep in mind if you believe Jackson was a decent QB then maybe you should feel we need to prove last year wasn't a fluke but to me with all the improvements we made from 2010 to 2011 there was no excuse (espeacially with an easier schedule or how many back up QB's we ended up facing) for ending up with the same record. This team has shown significant growth year over year and with better QB play we would have seen that reflected in the win total.

I don't see any reason for us to not make another significant step forward and thats not hype, that is based on the growth year over year and the additions we made so far this year.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Shaz":2vqjv07b said:
Bowman is absolutely correct and said nothing disrespectful

Exactly. No winning happens in March. He gave us plenty respect, but still repped his team in a subtle manner. Very professional.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
''You have to earn hype''? What?

No, you have to earn respect, earn wins, earn championships.

Hype is just hype. With nothing backing it up, just talk, it's hype. How do you earn it? Doesn't make sense to me.

BBHawks

Reaction score
I think that one thing you have to keep in mind is that Bowman is on that team's defense. Yes, they've only had a couple good years, but their defense has been good for four or five years now. So, that's his perspective. I thought he was pretty respectful and basically what he's saying is that the NFC West is a tough division, which is the truth.

Actually, I think there is a lot more respect for the Seahawks down there than people around here realize. The last time I was down there, my uncle was complaining about how so many of his Niner buddies keep telling him the Hawks are going to knock the Niners off this year. And, my brother tells me that most of the Niner fans on the chat board he visits think the teams are totally equal right now.

hawker84

Reaction score
i don't see the problem here, he said what he's suppose to say.. you have to earn respect, and as far as us drawing even with them, he basically dodged the question and said, won't speak on them, all i know is the 49ers are working to be the best everyday.... don't know what else he's suppose to say... ya you're right man , they're better than us now?

Shaz

Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can not think these 2 teams are equal

They are built almost exactly the same from the Front Office and down (Give or take a few things here or there)

This is what makes a truly great Rivalry (Steelers/Ravens come to mind)