Must listen: Scott McCloughan on Quarterback Evaluation

nanomoz

Reaction score
Conducted by Rob Staton. Even if you don't like Staton, listen. It's 95% McCloughan talking.

He talks about tools, moxie, draft position, and the frequent problem between owners that aren't football people and actual football people like coaches and GMs. And how many QBs are ruined because they're not ready, but the owner forces the coach to start them, largely because of fan pressure and expectation.

He talks about specific prospects, too.

It's awesome.

[youtube]DzoT8apohUA[/youtube]

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm excited to listen to this, despite my personal disaffection for Staton.

It'd be great to have McCloughan back. A lot of people think he was the man doing the drafting for Seattle back in the day, but I disagree. I think he was someone who made Pete and John better. They had fantastic synergy.

He didn't do as well on his own, and Pete and John didn't do as well after he left. It was a group dynamic thing, I think.

Can't wait to try to get some insight from him here.

OP
OP
nanomoz

nanomoz

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1peta942 said:

It'd be great to have McCloughan back. A lot of people think he was the man doing the drafting for Seattle back in the day, but I disagree. I think he was someone who made Pete and John better. They had fantastic synergy.

He didn't do as well on his own, and Pete and John didn't do as well after he left. It was a group dynamic thing, I think.

Totally agree (except about Staton, obviously).

bigskydoc

Reaction score
McLoughan built an amazing roster in SF before coming to Seattle, and, IMHO, is more responsible for our Super Bowl winning roster than John and Pete combined. His failure after leaving Seattle had more to do with the ownership he was working with than his own capabilities. Wish he could stay off the sauce, because I think he would still be here. I would love to see him back here.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Seattle needs to bring McCloughan back.

This guy knows how to build a core roster to fit a system that is also current to the times.

But he does need a competent team of decision makers with experience as well.

Carroll needs to bring Scot back cause Carroll hasn’t been the same since.

Fade

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3ij2v75g said:

Scot is a trenches guy. His special gift is his ability to evaluate OL & DL. Wherever he has gone or consulted for those teams kick ass upfront.

gabel

Reaction score
Great video! McCloughan said the strength of this draft is rounds 2, 3 and 4 and teams are already positioning themselves to get players in those rounds. Lucky enough we have 4 picks in those rounds.

toffee

Reaction score
Hoping John will allow Scott to help in some capacity.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

scutterhawk

Reaction score
2nd, 3rd, & 4th rounds? Hmm, Id almost be willing to bet that if the guy that they want is off the board at #9, they trade back to pick up even more picks in those 3 rounds.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":20oen2kr said:

What 787 said.. Down to the letter.

Jville

Reaction score

Enjoyed the interview.
Many ... many ..... good points.
Thanks for posting.

Latest posts