Media ignoring Harvin's return

mistaowen

Reaction score
Happypuppy":pncj9h96 said:
Not in football shape? Please... He did fine against MIN. He is a veteran receiver; it is not like he gets hit all that much when is running away from the field ;)

Wait who said not in football shape? I don't really want to read through all the posts. Harvin is essentially Sherm in terms of build. Skinny but built. Guy runs like Marshawn in a CB body and has never been injured by playing that way. And for 'game speed' we don't run a fast paced offense. We consistently milk the play clock on offense so I really doubt a guy who trains like him will be out of shape....ever during his career.

Harvin is a MVP tweener and he fits our personality to a tee. Who cares if the media doesn't make a huge deal about it, he hasn't played this year so they have no reason to talk about 'getting him back will make x better because of y earlier in the season.' Guy can get 150 all purpose yards a game and as richnhansom said even if he doesn't get the ball he attract so much attention that it frees everyone else up. Look who he played with at QB and supporting WR cast in Minnesota. Besides stopping AP in the run game, he was the main focus on defense and still was right there with Megatron for MVP before getting hurt against us.

OrFan

Reaction score
So this Krod guy thinks we and the Saints are the best two teams? News for you dude, the Saints are the number 4 team of the 4 remaining in the NFC.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Krodwhodat":2i097x0h said:
Wartooth":2i097x0h said:
Krodwhodat":2i097x0h said:
Penman96":2i097x0h said:
Harvin's past play against the Saints is irrelevant. Especially if the main reference is the one Vikings / Saints playoff game in NO. This is a different scheme for Harvin - the load isn't all on his shoulders anymore.

And its a different defense for the Saints - against the Vikings keying on Harvin as the main pass threat was a option, now it isn't.

I'd be overjoyed to see Harvin occupy Keenan Lewis all day (if Lewis could even do that) because it would leave Tate, Baldwin, and Kearse freed up. The Saints secondary isn't as strong as it was last time they saw Harvin, if he takes away the Saints only decent corner I'm predicting a good day for our other receivers. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Harvin isn't as strong as the last time he saw the saints as well. Let's be realistic. The guy is not in football shape. It takes a few weeks to get up to par. He will get winded. It will be wet trying to cut on that hip. Getting hit a few times. He's not the same gut that you would see had he been playing 5 weeks. You guys know this as well.

What ever helps you sleep tonight son...But I would suggest Bourbon!

Go Hawks!

I'll sleep fine no pressure on us. We are expected to lose. When we win I'm going to be worried about the well being of the Seahawks fans. You guys are so high right now that the trip down will not be a fun one.....

If you weren't worried about Harvin you wouldn't be here responding to this topic. He's on a different team and in a different situation. I'm not talking world beater numbers but he will make an impact for the Seahawks offense and ST tomorrow and you know it, to think otherwise is ignorant.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I was eating at a restaurant for lunch yesterday. There was a really, really long Percy Harvin segment on ESPN while I was there.

This "national media" thing sounds like people whining about MSNBC or Fox News.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":n5til448 said:
Its funny. The reason the 49ers are so confident that they can go into Carolina and win is that Crabtree is back. Harvin >> Crabtree

I think for 9ers fans against the panthers they're hoping that Crabtree is the difference between winning and losing. For the Hawks, Harvin is the difference between winning and winning?

I've seen a lot of Harvin stories, but I think the story would be bigger if the Hawks weren't already clear favorites without Harvin.

If he has a big game and the Hawks win big again we'll hear about how they're now unstoppable. If they win and he doesn't have a big game we'll hear about how they don't even need Harvin. Either way, as is the media's wont, the case will be overstated. :)

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Percy is our secret weapon ... till the Superbowl. Nobody has film on him. Nobody knows how to prepare for him. This is really the perfect storm. Why should the media talk about him?
Why are people worried about publicity before the super bowl? As far as I'm concerned, ESPN shouldn't talk about us until we bring back the Lombardi. I rather fly under the radar ... than be the Dallas Cowgirls ...
I beg ESPN to not even mention Percy's name and I would love for the Saints to assume he ain't playing. This is Seattle ... we don't need National Publicity. Why do we care about what goes on in Connecticut or Nueva York or Washington?

5meterhawkfan

Reaction score
austinslater25":jbsgkbgd said:
I have watched countless expert picks and game breakdowns and rarely is Harvin mentioned. Rotoworld did a good job talking about how he big this could be but everyone else seems to ignore it. Our offense has struggled and Tim Hasslebeck laid the blame on the WR's this week saying no one has been getting separation the past month. So the one area we arguably have a weakness at we bring in last years mvp front runner through the first 10 weeks of the season at a position of need. If this was Gronk it would be on espn 24/7. This isn't a rant talking about how the media disses our market. It just seems like a lack of homework from almost everyone. Its honestly baffling. Thoughts?

I agree it is the lack of homework by the experts.

There have been some articles and some talk, but most of the analysts picking the games late in the week mostly omitted even talking about Harvin and went to the #6 stats from the last few years etc....

It just shows how so many people recycle talking points and don't really follow the game, hopefully Harvin is the talk of the media next week because of what he does today

AVL

Reaction score
I can't fault anyone for having a "Show me" attitude about Harvin.

And I hope he does.

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
Perhaps there hasn't been as much media hype about the return of Harvin as you might hope because the guy has had a grand total of TWO touches since November 4, 2012.

Besides, in his two career games versus the Saints he has been very ineffective, at best.

2011 - 3 for 8 receiving, 1 carry for -1, and 1 return for 28
2009 - 5 for 38 receiving, 4 carries for 15, and 2 returns for 33

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
2009? Are these 49er fans in disguise? What does 2009 have to do with today?

The media has been quiet because he hasn't played all year and he has yet to show that he is a game changer for this team. IMO, anyway

5meterhawkfan

Reaction score
I think the doubters on Harvin can certainly make that case, but I think the point of this thread isn't even if he doesn't do anything or if he lights it up.

I think the point is that Harvin is a great talking point for analysts to polarize their argument one side or the other and it hasn't got much play.

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
5meterhawkfan":1luh47wb said:
I think the doubters on Harvin can certainly make that case, but I think the point of this thread isn't even if he doesn't do anything or if he lights it up.

I think the point is that Harvin is a great talking point for analysts to polarize their argument one side or the other and it hasn't got much play.

It is hard for an analyst to analyze someone who is nothing more than a wish and a hope. He has barely touched a ball in 15 months and before than he was not what I would call a game-changer. Yes, he had some big plays here or there, but he was just as likely to be shut down or a non-factor. Admittedly, he finally did show more consistency in the 2012 season before suffering the injury that is still lingering.

AsylumGuido

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":33hl6s2g said:
2009? Are these 49er fans in disguise? What does 2009 have to do with today?

The media has been quiet because he hasn't played all year and he has yet to show that he is a game changer for this team. IMO, anyway

Agree completely.

5meterhawkfan

Reaction score
I would argue he is a game changing type of player, we saw it in the Vikings game earlier this year. He will also influence the game even if it is just to loosen up coverage for the Hawks other receivers to make plays.

The man is explosive and is a first round talent and was in the MVP conversation.

It's a story.

NINEster

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":1ej60j0x said:
Its funny. The reason the 49ers are so confident that they can go into Carolina and win is that Crabtree is back. Harvin >> Crabtree

Crabtree has better hands, runs better routes, can catch in traffic and makes plays downfield consistently.

Harvin is only better in space, and maybe better RAC although Crab is pretty nice in that regard himself.

Would be like comparing Sproles to Gore or Lynch and saying he's better because he's a lot more lethal in open field.

Latest posts