Agree or Nah?

• Agree

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Disagree

Votes: 93 95.9%

• Total voters

Sac

Reaction score
Matt Hasselbeck (in his prime) as much as we all love him, would have a hard time finding a roster spot on any team today.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Hard disagree from me, it hasn't been that long since 2007.

He'd be a starting QB in 2020 for a number of teams; well ahead of starters like Haskins, Wentz, Carr, Darnold, Goff, Trubisky, Mayfield, Cousins, Jones, Jimmy G, or Driskel. He could backup for any team in the league.

themunn

Reaction score
He was still playing backup at age 40 as little as 5 years ago (where he started 8 games in relief of an injured Andrew Luck).

In his prime he'd still be a starter somewhere - and probably be putting up an even better statline today than in his best years.

D

DomeHawk

Outside of RW the best QB we ever had, could definitely play today.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Elway would give his right nutt, for Hass in.his prime right now. He would start at Denver, Jacksonville, Miami, Carolina, Atlanta, Chicago, Minnesota all if he was in his prime today.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Seriously? You DO remember that he lead us to our first Superbowl, right? Do you know how many good/great QB's have never been? This is just silly.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Hasselbeck might be better in todays game than he was when he played. Rule changes and the change in offensive philosophy probably help him.

Erebus

Reaction score
CPHawk":2ge2p1zo said:
Elway would give his right nutt, for Hass in.his prime right now. He would start at Denver, Jacksonville, Miami, Carolina, Atlanta, Chicago, Minnesota all if he was in his prime today.

You almost had it, but then you slipped Atlanta in there.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Matt Hasselbeck in his prime was a formidable QB, he was considered one of the better QBs of the 2000s. He played in a different era where 4000 yard passers were more rare. He also played second fiddle to Shaun Alexander for most of his prime. While Alexander was good, I have a feeling that we could have gotten just as good, if not better of a result if we ran pass heavy team led by Matt Hasselbeck in his prime.

In 2007 we tried that run heavy offense once again. Halfway through the season Holmgren saw Alexander was a shell of his former self and switched to a pass heavy offense. Hasselbeck went on a tear, and he was largely given autonomy [align=]over the offense. Despite being considered an immobile QB, Hasselbeck actually was more elusive than one might think in the pocket. He was kind of hard to pin down at times. His pocket manipulation was really a thing of beauty. Hasselbeck also never really had a top tier receiver threat during this season. Engram was good, but not really a number one threat. Jackson was decent, but he was injury prone and made a lot of mistakes. He also did not have the best hands.

During his best season, Hasselbeck had no run game, a mediocre defense and a meh/10 group of receivers. He carried the team to their record on his back.

Hasselbeck never really recovered from a bulged disk in his back. He lost what little arm strength he had and he became extremely limited. He could make all of the right reads, but he couldn't get the ball where it needed to be in time. This led to a lot of picks.

After resting for years on the bench he was called up in Indy to play for Luck. There was a period of time in those games where Matt Hasselbeck out performed a healthy Luck. Hasselbeck was a bit underrated here, he was a player that elevated the receivers around him. I contend that 2007 Matt Hasselbeck would be a top 10 QB on the right team in 2020, if not a top 5 QB in the right circumstances and team.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Erebus":1qrrol52 said:
CPHawk":1qrrol52 said:

Matt Ryan choke artist, at the end of his career, or Hass?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":2m1umstb said:
Erebus":2m1umstb said:
CPHawk":2m1umstb said:

Matt Ryan choke artist, at the end of his career, or Hass?

Matt Ryan was league MVP and threw for over 5k yards. He's not the choke artist. Ryan > Hass in terms of Boston College products named "Matt."

In regards to the OP, Hasselbeck could still start in his prime in today's game. Big Ben is still functioning.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
austinslater25":3bq51v1w said:
Hasselbeck might be better in todays game than he was when he played. Rule changes and the change in offensive philosophy probably help him.
Of course he would be. They ALL have benefited. That's why we're seeing what we're seeing.

TypeSly

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1yy8gick said:
Hass made me swear more than most any other QB we've had.

More than Jon Kitna? C'mon!... let's not get crazy.

TypeSly

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3ieojptp said:
Well, I remember someone on here saying Hass was 10 times better than Russ ever will be :34853_doh:

I'll be totally honest. I LOVED that we got Matt Flynn, and I was pissed that PC was starting the midget in his rookie season. Needless to say I've had my fair share of crow for breakfast.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Are we talking about Hasselbeck, or Hasselbeck + Holmgren?

Two different QBs.

nanomoz

Reaction score
People equate fantasy stats with "how good" players are/were. And it is just more complicated than that. Especially when time/era is a factor.

Latest posts