Mark Schlereth - "It's all about mitigating Russell Wilson"

knownone

Reaction score
He got really fat again this offseason, by the way.

I was one of the last "Russ haters" on the off-field train. I thought having his own perfume line and etc. etc. was perfectly reasonable, because it is for most quarterbacks. After a while, though, it became clear that he's been consumed by a special level of sniffing his own farts. It showed up on the field, it showed up in his orchestrated media campaigns, it showed up everywhere.

He's aging and he's not in it anymore, and this trade was the robbery of the century.

Notice how there's literally no team discord or drama this offseason? Ya think it's a coincidence, everybody?
I agree with you on all accounts. But having a perfume line will never be reasonable, even if other QBs are doing it.

JPatera76

Reaction score
View attachment 58701

sacked 482 times in just 173 games. not saying the hawks oline was anything more than mediocre, but i can remember the narrative "it's the offensive line, that's why wilson is getting sacked" ... yet he goes to denver, and in YEAR ONE sets the all-time denver broncos sacked record. sacked 55x, that's more than any prior season in seattle. amazing. just amazing. so many bubbles burst last season, and with more to come.

View attachment 58702
To add.. play clock issues as well seemed to follow with him

OP
OP
seatownlowdown

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
There were reports that Russ was giving motivational speech in the huddles.

holy shit, it's actually true. figured you were joking

i guess you really can't make this stuff up

toffee

Reaction score
holy shit, it's actually true. figured you were joking

i guess you really can't make this stuff up
Imagine you were other players in the hurdle, being subjected to Wilson's corny shyt.

keasley45

Reaction score
You can't. Which is why it was so hard to see the truth when he was here and why it took so long for reality to sink in.

The dude is the most extreme example of a dillusional mindset. Like so many things with Russ, his biggest handicap is also his biggest strength.

That ability to shut out all the noise around him and believe that he could be great, that he was great, that he could succeed despite his shortcomings (pun intended), is what brought him the success he achieved... and its the very thing that ultimately blinded him to reality and prevented him from ever really addressing his issues.

And the best and worst thing was for him to hook up with Pete and the Hawks. In PC, he found a staunch advocate and pseudo mentor who's emphasis on intangibles and the strength of the human spirit over all else was at once the perfect landing spot for Russ's faith based philosophy... but also the worst place for him to be when it came to sharpening his football IQ. Pete supported the 'keep the faith' approach above all else and let Russ do what he did best... wing it and succeed based on a belief in one's own ability to overcome... on a botched play, on an overwhelming blitz, 20 points down in the 4th qtr.... Pete tapped into everythung Russ was, but at some point, the teaching / learning fell by thr wayside and all there was was the persona that Was the result of succeeding at a high level with everything other than the discipline of football to attribute things to (in Russ's mind). It only happened because of undying faith, belief, inspired play. Russ absorbed everything from Pete that supported his belief system. Pete gave it freely because that's what Pete does - finds the unique quality of each individual and feeds it. But the teacher/pupil dynamic never developed beyond that because of the size of the ego that Russ developed.

So it's no surprise now that the guy that goes through mock 2 minute drills in pregame on Monday night... by himself, would think that a motivational speech in the huddle was what was needed to get his team over the hump. Why? Because Russ has NEVER succeeded by devoting his energy to xs and os. He's found success by deliberately shunning the play and putting his faith in his own ability (ie God's hands).

Such devotion is admirable and a sure source of inspiration and strength. But absent the fundamental knowledge to execute the task at hand - play qb at a high level, on script - in a game where you are playing against professionals who DO invest their energy in knowing the sport, it's foolish.

Russ had been both inspiring hero, and fool. And the reason for both is the same.

OP
OP
seatownlowdown

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Pete supported the 'keep the faith' approach above all else and let Russ do what he did best...
Pete tapped into everythung Russ was, but at some point, the teaching / learning fell by thr wayside
Russ absorbed everything from Pete that supported his belief system. Pete gave it freely because that's what Pete does - finds the unique quality of each individual and feeds it. But the teacher/pupil dynamic never developed beyond that because of the size of the ego that Russ developed.
Russ had been both inspiring hero, and fool. And the reason for both is the same.

as a psych major, couldn't help but notice the dynamic between me3 and pete. it's like the classic relationship between 2 personalities: the closet narc (me3) and the co-dependent (pete).

Me3

...on the outside, it looks like a solid relationship, but the closet narc is always wearing a mask to the public. behind the scenes, cracks in the narc eventually start to show the narc's true selfish nature to the co-dependent. the co-dependent realizes the closet narc can't take any criticism or accountability of any kind. the closet narc is the definition of a phony. he's dr. jeklyl and mr. hyde. the closet narc appears overly and overtly confident to hide his deep insecurity. the narc disregards others needs. as others depend on the narc, the narc uses that dependency as power over his subjects. the narc places itself above everyone; he is controlling and has no empathy nor any desire to change. appearances are everything to the closet narc. the closet narc constantly needs special treatment, admiration, the spotlight, accolades. the naive co-dependent gives the narc the everything the narc wants, but it's still never enough. eventually, the co-dependent realizes the closet narc is unchangeable and only truly cares about himself. the relationship sours when the co-dependent stops giving the narcissist supply and/or when the narc, like a parasite, has squeezed every drop out of it's naive subject. and like a parasite, the narc begins the search for a new host. the narc moves quickly and coldly to discard the co-dependent (m3 tries to fire pete). the closet narc quickly puts on a campaign to show everybody he was the good guy in the relationship.

toffee

Reaction score
as a psych major, couldn't help but notice the dynamic between me3 and pete. it's like the classic relationship between 2 personalities: the closet narc (me3) and the co-dependent (pete).

View attachment 58723

...on the outside, it looks like a solid relationship, but the closet narc is always wearing a mask to the public. behind the scenes, cracks in the narc eventually start to show the narc's true selfish nature to the co-dependent. the co-dependent realizes the closet narc can't take any criticism or accountability of any kind. the closet narc is the definition of a phony. he's dr. jeklyl and mr. hyde. the closet narc appears overly and overtly confident to hide his deep insecurity. the narc disregards others needs. as others depend on the narc, the narc uses that dependency as power over his subjects. the narc places itself above everyone; he is controlling and has no empathy nor any desire to change. appearances are everything to the closet narc. the closet narc constantly needs special treatment, admiration, the spotlight, accolades. the naive co-dependent gives the narc the everything the narc wants, but it's still never enough. eventually, the co-dependent realizes the closet narc is unchangeable and only truly cares about himself. the relationship sours when the co-dependent stops giving the narcissist supply and/or when the narc, like a parasite, has squeezed every drop out of it's naive subject. and like a parasite, the narc begins the search for a new host. the narc moves quickly and coldly to discard the co-dependent (m3 tries to fire pete). the closet narc quickly puts on a campaign to show everybody he was the good guy in the relationship.
In my uneducated ways and languages, I have been saying for years that Pete sold his soul to Wilson, or more to the point, Pete sold his soul to that little girl living inside of Wilson. That super sensitive whinny little girl that lives and runs Russell Wilson.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
To add.. play clock issues as well seemed to follow with him

Good point!

The Carroll-hating crowd blamed Carroll. Of course, I suspect they blame him when the stock market is down (and they're not shorting), or when it rains on a Saturday or something. According to them, it was Carroll's incompetence that caused all the problems with the play clock.

Isn't it odd, then, that the Broncos had those problems with the play clock so badly in 2022 that fans in their stadium were counting down the last five seconds of the play clock out loud, while the Seahawks were completely different. There were so many times during the season when Smith was looking at the defense after the huddle and calling pre-snap signals, I would get worried about the play clock (I'd been conditioned to do so by the previous several years of Seahawks football) and glance at it on the screen, and then I'd feel an overwhelming sense of relief because there were still 12 or 13 seconds left on the clock. The days of getting to the line to start calling the signals with five seconds left on the clock were over for the 'Hawks. Not for the Broncos, but that's just an added bonus. I still dislike the Broncos from the Seahawks' days in the AFC West.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
In my uneducated ways and languages, I have been saying for years that Pete sold his soul to Wilson, or more to the point, Pete sold his soul to that little girl living inside of Wilson. That super sensitive whinny little girl that lives and runs Russell Wilson.

That wouldn’t be Ciara, would it?

Lol. That said, I’m not sure what Payton can do even with extreme Peteball on a leash. The scramble bootleg Thing had been figured out even when Russ was here, and it’s not like he can do much else To win.

Scout

Reaction score
SP will make the Broncos more competitive. The Broncos defense on paper is still very strong and the offense is more balanced for a running attack.

The problem is that while the Broncos do have some draft picks to work with this year they are coming late in the third round and onwards.

Their division rivals though on paper have more talented rosters and have more draft picks to work with.

The Chiefs have 11 picks to work with so they can move up and down the draft despite being SB champs. The Chiefs 2022 draft class looks strong and could improve especially if Skyy Moore shows up.

The Chargers always field potent rosters and they have all seven picks to work with. I wouldn't be surprised if they work on adding more playmakers on offense and defense.

The Raiders now have Jimmy G operating an offense that is loading up on receivers and the Raiders have 12 picks.

Overall the Broncos are in a situation where they have limited picks and their divisional rivals are already better and have more room for improvement.

The only easy games for the Broncos next season will be maybe the Bears and Texans.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Maybe Wilson should drink more of his concussion prevention water to keep his mind and body in shape.

olyfan63

Reaction score

View attachment 58723

Love it! I speak Cluster B and have accidental expertise in this area, with BPDs, NPDs, and the elusive HPDs, and the often co-morbid APD. So often these folks manipulate gullible counselors and therapists who fail to recognize their playbook and get sucked into the Cluster B's false reality vortex. This model makes total sense for the Pete/Russ relationship. IMO Percy Harvin checked numerous boxes for a sociopath with BPD. BPD, not NPD, for Percy. Less common in a male. I think Pete got some education with the Harvin experience and started bringing in sports psych pros who understand Cluster B PDs and explained Harvin to him. Totally unsupported by anything Pete or the team has ever said, just watching their actions and noticing the change. The team would never publicly say anything about these MH issues related to a player. I think the team's sports psych pros also explained Malik McDowell to Pete & John. I also believe the team now does a thorough assessment for Cluster B PDs on players they are considering signing and drafting. I think the visit with Jalen Carter will/did include him being thorough screened for Cluster B traits by the team. Cluster B isn't always the kiss of death... In some NPDs, say, hypothetically, a Richard Sherman type, the NPD can manifest in a net positive way.

Anyway, as far as Russell Wilson, your application of this model makes tremendous sense to me. Pete the overly empathic codependent and Russ the closet Narcissist. I think Pete's sports psych pros finally got him to see this dynamic with Russell and Pete relented.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Maybe Wilson should drink more of his concussion prevention water to keep his mind and body in shape.
I'm thinking it may be too late to prevent concussions at this point. Some of his more recent antics cause one to wonder if there isn't a little bit of CTS floating around from all of that abuse? That could explain some of the "last few years" of Russell..??
He is a 100% different person in every way from the Russell of 2012.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I'm thinking it may be too late to prevent concussions at this point. Some of his more recent antics cause one to wonder if there isn't a little bit of CTS floating around from all of that abuse? That could explain some of the "last few years" of Russell..??
He is a 100% different person in every way from the Russell of 2012.
Could be. But also power corrupts. And Ciara seems to have affected how he presents himself. It’s hard to tell what Wilson is like as a person. His public image has always been obviously phony and manufactured.

CST is a real possibility too. Walking into the owners office and demanding the HC and GM to be fired is a serious delusion of grandiosity.

Trying to make profit from selling snake oil as water to prevent concussions is just so arrogant and unethical that it’s hard to be sympathetic towards a person like that.