Lockett has really proven his draft value

Willyeye

Reaction score
Tyler has surely shown his stuff this preseason with 496 all-purpose yards (262 kickoff returns, 105 punt returns, and 129 receiving yards). There were numerous Seahawk fans all over the internet complaining about the trade up in the draft to get Lockett, but I believe he has made all the Lockett draft move-up trade haters look kind of silly. The Hawks essentially gave up 3 draft picks to get Lockett, (the 1 for 1 trade of 3rd round picks evens out...their 3rd round pick, #95, for the Redskins' 3rd round pick, #69). Now that Poole (4th), Gwacham (6th), and Murphy (7th) have all been waived/released, how important were the loss of those 3 extra picks for Tyler Lockett? Would they have done anything better with those 3 traded picks? Why would the other 3 traded picks have been any better? Most likely, the Hawks would have been waiving/releasing 6 drafted players instead of 3 yesterday.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Willyeye":1tt2474y said:
Tyler has surely shown his stuff this preseason with 496 all-purpose yards (262 kickoff returns, 105 punt returns, and 129 receiving yards). There were numerous Seahawk fans all over the internet complaining about the trade up in the draft to get Lockett, but I believe he has made all the Lockett draft move-up trade haters look kind of silly. The Hawks essentially gave up 3 draft picks to get Lockett, (the 1 for 1 trade of 3rd round picks evens out...their 3rd round pick, #95, for the Redskins' 3rd round pick, #69). Now that Poole (4th), Gwacham (6th), and Murphy (7th) have all been waived/released, how important were the loss of those 3 extra picks for Tyler Lockett? Would they have done anything better with those 3 traded picks? Why would the other 3 traded picks have been any better? Most likely, the Hawks would have been waiving/releasing 6 drafted players instead of 3 yesterday.
Yeah he has and I knew he would after seeing his college tape. I was driving to the ferry dock in Kingston to get back home last night and there was a bakery that had a sign that said "If your name is Tyler Lockett come in and get a free cookie", so he has that going for him as well. 8)

Mick063

Reaction score
The draft was relatively loaded with wide receiver talent and the teams that drafted for need were filling the position early.

There is no way he should have lasted that long and the only reason he did was because of his size and the wealth of talent at his position. Every bit as gifted as the Saint's WR Cooks who was taken in the first round last year. Looking at Lockett's college tape, he was obviously a polished route runner as well as a deadly return man.

I don't recall ever seeing a receiver that could stop and start like Tyler.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Mick063":1m6ogfzn said:
The draft was relatively loaded with wide receiver talent and the teams that drafted for need were filling the position early.

There is no way he should have lasted that long and the only reason he did was because of his size and the wealth of talent at his position. Every bit as gifted as the Saint's WR Cooks who was taken in the first round last year. Looking at Lockett's college tape, he was obviously a polished route runner as well as a deadly return man.

I don't recall ever seeing a receiver that could stop and start like Tyler.
Your last sentence is a great and overlooked point. Look at the touchdown pass the other night as exhibit A.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Draft value is one of the more ridiculous things about the NFL. You worry about that if you're cheap and/or if your roster ISN'T saturated with talent.

Bottom line, if you really believe a player can help your team, you might anti up more for them. That's it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
vin.couve12":944ebf7e said:
Draft value is one of the more ridiculous things about the NFL. You worry about that if you're cheap and/or if your roster ISN'T saturated with talent.

Bottom line, if you really believe a player can help your team, you might anti up more for them. That's it.
I agree 100%. Most of the key players on our team's "Draft value" were way too low. A great GM can find those nuggets. Luckily we have that.

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I would assume that PC/JS will have to kind of change their draft philosophy...instead of going for volume picks, and then releasing/waiving them at the 53-man cut, they should probably trade up more often and get some more of those picks like Clark and Lockett.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think PC/JS draft philosophy is pretty sound. Heck, in Lockett they got 1st round talent without having to pay a 1st round price. Since rookie contracts are slotted, they got a helluva bargain.

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
I agree that their philosophy is pretty sound, and that's my point. It seemed like they had been going for the volume of picks in previous years, hoping that some would stick. Trading up 4 picks for one pick this past May was a change for them. I'm saying that I think they should do more of that, rather than aim for 12 picks, half of which will be cut because their roster is so loaded. And hopefully they won't need to trade away their 1st round picks after this. In other words, go for fewer QUALITY picks, rather than 12 mediocre picks in one draft.

BigMeach

Reaction score
I don't think they have a draft strategy revolving around pick quantity. I think they've proven that they do what they have to to get players they want and like. They will also search high and low for diamonds in the rough.

They will only trade up like they did for Lockett if it's a guy they truly covet. You can't go into drafts thinking "Okay let's get rid of picks so we can get high round players" that's what bad teams do.

I don't think Lockett is going to become the rule, more like the exception to it. Especially now that we've got so many players getting paid, those low round picks that hit are going to be very valuable. I also wouldn't expect us to draft in the 1st round for a long time. Unless there is a player we really want late in the first round we're going to almost certaintly trade out every year, for contract value and possibly another pick.

Gotta look at it like russian roulette, the more shots you have the better your chance to fire your gun and die.

Bad analogy? :3-1: :34853_doh:

nanomoz

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2o1ceeru said:

*nods head vigorously*

Profound shit:

Attachments

• profound_400x400.png
    profound_400x400.png
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,005

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I like to think of it this way, for Unger (4th round pick), Harvin (6th round pick), the 31st pick (Graham), the 63rd pick, the 95th pick? and a 5th... Seahawks arguably came out with:

Graham
-- A dominating pass-catching TE
-- An elite mismatch slot WR

Clark
-- A potentially elite 4-3 End
-- A potentially elite Nickel DT

Lockett
-- A potentially elite WR
-- An elite KR
-- An elite PR

7 job applications, 3 players with great resumes who will contribute right away and fill immediate needs for 2 highly paid injury inconsistent players and 4 picks in a crapshoot.

Re-Draft 2015 after pre-season ended, include all traded players that used 2015 picks as compensation, Im betting:

Graham would be a top 10 pick
Clark would be a top 20 pick
Lockett would be a top 30 pick

Re-draft in 3 years potentially all three could be in top 10-15 players selected.

northseahawk

Reaction score
Damn, clark looks like JJ.watt out there against the 2s. This guy is going to be a monster if he keeps his head right.

themunn

Reaction score
Come on guys, he looks great so far but he hasn't proven a thing until he does it in a regular season game.

For every Russell Wilson and Doug Baldwin there's a Christine Michael and Kregg Lumpkin.

I expect Lockett will be in the former camp, but as of right now he's still done nothing in the NFL.

Exittium

Reaction score
themunn":1bc06s5n said:
Come on guys, he looks great so far but he hasn't proven a thing until he does it in a regular season game.

For every Russell Wilson and Doug Baldwin there's a Christine Michael and Kregg Lumpkin.

I expect Lockett will be in the former camp, but as of right now he's still done nothing in the NFL.
:snack: Lol, Lockett has done more then enough, he's improved our special teams immensely, and well Look what he did when Wilson passed to him. And your last statement, come on really? It doesn't matter preseason or not, its the NFL. He's shown he's capable of catching passes from Russ, he's show he can read a field, quickly diagnose the holes and execute, for amazing yardage.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Willyeye":fj7aizv8 said:

This was basically the point I was trying to get across that weekend we drafted him. Many people were screaming that we forked over all these picks for him when it was crystal clear (or at least it should have been) that this team had to dump some picks to get one player they knew would fill/address an actual need on this team. Lockett did that and then some in the return game, and he just happens to be a pretty good WR too.

There's no telling who they would have drafted had they not made the team, but there was no way all 13 picks would have made this roster. It just was not happening with the depth we had.

So if there was ever a season where JS would get aggressive in the draft and move up, it was this years.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Exittium":46a9qcho said:
themunn":46a9qcho said:

:snack: Lol, Lockett has done more then enough, he's improved our special teams immensely, and well Look what he did when Wilson passed to him. And your last statement, come on really? It doesn't matter preseason or not, its the NFL. He's shown he's capable of catching passes from Russ, he's show he can read a field, quickly diagnose the holes and execute, for amazing yardage.

I think he has the potential to do amazing things but I too think that all he has proved is that he is worth a spot on the roster. The regular season is where he will prove his draft value. Lockett has a good preseason and its "omg he is so amazing, look his his numbers", other high paid vets have a meh off season and what you hear is "Its just preseason, its a vanilla scheme, etc". This is why when it comes to Lockett I will say the same as what is said with the high paid vets, "Its just preseason".

Fun stuff

chris98251

Reaction score
themunn":2dwapgsm said:

He has done enough that Special Teams Coaches now have to spend time accounting for him on KR and PR, he has done enough that DC's now have to adapt their scheme for a guys that can both play the slot and go deep from anywhere he lines up now, that of course is in additional preparation for Graham and now Jackson.

All that without a regular season snap.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
themunn":soyjdsy1 said:

Here's the thing though, both Russell and Doug played great in the preseason when they were rookies, when they played against 3rd or 4th stringer they looked better than everyone else, and once they started doing that against the 1st and 2nd stringer it showed they can play.

The same can be said for Lockett and Clark, it didn't matter if they played 1st - 4th stringers they were consistent with their talent and it shows that they have done something in the NFL, doesn't matter if it's in the preseason, remember that's how Wilson and Doug was able to earn their spot.

Latest posts