Letter of the rule (with a Seahawks thought)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1gbb9inb said:
What's the definition of "bat"? To me be deflected it and didn't bat or punch the ball.

lol, it's about as obvious as it gets..........and KJ admitted he batted it out.

mikeak

Reaction score
bigtrain21":c12dg7of said:
What's the definition of "bat"? To me be deflected it and didn't bat or punch the ball.

look at my post above -- it is defined in the NFL rule book

bigtrain21

Reaction score
mikeak":1bvq6ufo said:
bigtrain21":1bvq6ufo said:

look at my post above -- it is defined in the NFL rule book

What's the definition of striking? I'm being serious.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":15b0pvfi said:
bigtrain21":15b0pvfi said:

lol, it's about as obvious as it gets..........and KJ admitted he batted it out.

Except he didn't bat the ball out of bounds. I know his act is intentional. That is obvious. I just wouldn't call what he did a "strike" or a "bat" or a punch.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bigtrain21":6yop3ppi said:
Sgt. Largent":6yop3ppi said:
bigtrain21":6yop3ppi said:

Except he didn't bat the ball out of bounds. I know his act is intentional. That is obvious. I just wouldn't call what he did a "strike" or a "bat" or a punch.

wat

He batted it dude.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":19dah3ec said:
bigtrain21":19dah3ec said:
Sgt. Largent":19dah3ec said:
bigtrain21":19dah3ec said:

wat

He batted it dude.

Great answer. You've intelligently proven your point. It was a bat because it was a bat seems to be your award winning argument.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bigtrain21":22gzdq11 said:
Great answer. You've intelligently proven your point. It was a bat because it was a bat seems to be your award winning argument.

You're the one trying to change the English language. Here's a great article discussing it.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/15 ... -lions-mnf

Congrats though on being literally the ONLY person on the planet that doesn't think KJ batted the ball.........including KJ, Pete, the league, Dean Blandino, The entire Lions organization and every fan, media member and press writer across the country.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
bigtrain21":2moi80rj said:

How big of a homer are you? :lol:

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2o1lx10y said:
bigtrain21":2o1lx10y said:

You're the one trying to change the English language. Here's a great article discussing it.

Congrats though on being literally the ONLY person on the planet that doesn't think KJ batted the ball.........including KJ, Pete, the league, Dean Blandino, The entire Lions organization and every fan, media member and press writer across the country.

I read that entire article and in nowhere in the article did it define what a bat is.

As a matter of fact it seems to show there is some distinguishing in the defintion of batting, deflecting, and tipping.

" Exception: A forward pass in flight may be tipped, batted, or deflected in any direction by any eligible player at any time."

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1444410136891.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1444410136891.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 322

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
bigtrain21":27bhf8oi said:
Sgt. Largent":27bhf8oi said:
bigtrain21":27bhf8oi said:

I read that entire article and in nowhere in the article did it define what a bat is.

As a matter of fact it seems to show there is some distinguishing in the defintion of batting, deflecting, and tipping.

" Exception: A forward pass in flight may be tipped, batted, or deflected in any direction by any eligible player at any time."

It's B. The answer is B.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2hxrcznv said:
bigtrain21":2hxrcznv said:
Sgt. Largent":2hxrcznv said:
bigtrain21":2hxrcznv said:

It's B. The answer is B.

B says "bats" or "punches" and I don't think what KJ did meets the definition of either of those descriptions. I think he deflected or tipped it. In the exception which applies to passing they use all 3 of the relevant words which shows they distinguish between all 3 of those words and they aren't the same thing.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I agree that "bat" or "punch" paint a more violent motion in my mind then what KJ did with the ball - he "tapped" it out (in my mind). But I think it's fairly obvious to see what the league meant though with the rule, and what KJ did went against that rule.

I would have more described the rule as "advancing the ball out of bounds without possession". The problem is, if KJ had instead secured the ball with both hands, but only gotten one foot in bounds - that would have been perfectly legal. But in essence, that is the same exact thing as batting the ball out of bounds - he would have "technically" not had possession because of only getting one foot in bounds - so effectively "advancing the ball out of bounds without possession". Rule makes no sense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bigtrain21":2taesh6k said:
B says "bats" or "punches" and I don't think what KJ did meets the definition of either of those descriptions. I think he deflected or tipped it. In the exception which applies to passing they use all 3 of the relevant words which shows they distinguish between all 3 of those words and they aren't the same thing.

You're just being obtuse. There's no room for semantic interpretation of "batting".............if a player INTENTIONALLY bats, pushes, kicks, tips, punches, delfected, whatever word you want to use because you don't like "bat," KJ did it.