Legal to hit QB on read option after the handoff

Laloosh

Reaction score
Okay, I get it... I just don't like it.

I think that a defender shouldn't be able to blow a guy up when he's not holding the ball. If it's handed off, identify it and make a play. If it's not, then go for the QB but giving them a free shot on the QB is ridiculous.

russell-wilson-rocked-1.gif

Thoughts?

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Russ was holding the ball until about a quarter second before that gif started. Not sure how else you can approach it other than letting the QB get hit if he isn't going to commit to handing off until the last step.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":170usor1 said:
Russ was holding the ball until about a quarter second before that gif started. Not sure how else you can approach it other than letting the QB get hit if he isn't going to commit to handing off until the last step.

Lynch was 2 yards up field when Russ got blown up. I'm pretty sure Brooks could see that the ball was gone and could have slowed himself down. I honestly don't buy the argument. It's an unnecessary hit and it's going to do exactly what coaches w/out option quarterbacks want, kill the read option in the NFL due to injuries.

Happy

Reaction score
This play did not bother me. If you're gonna run the read option it's only fair for the QB to be fair game if he waits til the last moment to let go of the ball.

The play where he took a shot after he gave himself up on the qb scramble, that should have been flagged.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
sadhappy":1u56kw24 said:
This play did not bother me. If you're gonna run the read option it's only fair for the QB to be fair game if he waits til the last moment to let go of the ball.

The play where he took a shot after he gave himself up on the qb scramble, that should have been flagged.

On the slide?

Happy

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":1w0p1i9l said:
sadhappy":1w0p1i9l said:

On the slide?

yeah.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":p7ut6lqb said:
AbsolutNET":p7ut6lqb said:

Lynch was 2 yards up field when Russ got blown up. I'm pretty sure Brooks could see that the ball was gone and could have slowed himself down. I honestly don't buy the argument. It's an unnecessary hit and it's going to do exactly what coaches w/out option quarterbacks want, kill the read option in the NFL due to injuries.

2 yards = less than 2 steps going full speed for that defender making the hit, he can't stop in that little time. The QB getting hit is an inherit part of running that play

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
sadhappy":1xw9ftls said:
E.C. Laloosh":1xw9ftls said:
sadhappy":1xw9ftls said:

On the slide?

yeah.

I can see how it might have looked like Wilson was just trying to make a cut.. almost looked like Russell slipped and that's the only reason he tried to slide. Hit did look excessive though.

rlkats

Reaction score
JK I dont like the read option hit on the QB either. I think it is kind of a free shot to smack the QB

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I think that was a fair hit.

It's the big issue with the read option and it's why, for the most part, I wouldn't bother with it.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
The problems had were
1. It was clear the plan was to hit Wilson. After the play helmet to helmet and elbow to the head on the ground. That needs to be addressed

kearly

Reaction score
I think it's fair. Wilson now knows that he can be hit on those plays, and he'll take action to avoid the brunt of the next one.

Not that I want to see Wilson getting slammed 10 times a game, but Seattle did pick up huge yardage on that play. SF paid a steep price for selling out to hit the QB.

themunn

Reaction score
I don't like it because Brooks lowers his head to hit Wilson after the ball is gone.
I don't mind the hit so much, but the fact that he lowers his head is what makes me say he has enough time to slow up.
Has the decision already been made in his mind? Maybe. But look how far from Wilson Lynch is when first contact is made. I watched it again in real-time and the defender has plenty of time to see if the ball has been handed off, he has one thing on his mind and that is hitting Wilson regardless of whether he hands the ball off or not - he doesn't even LOOK in the direction of Lynch and there's a full second in between the ball being handed off and the hit being made - that's an age in pro football, and I don't believe for a second that Brooks thought Wilson had the ball. That's the problem I have with it.

kjreid

Reaction score
imo, I think this play is as very close to being a flag. another half second it would have been called. I think the play could have gone either way and I am glad (as aggressive as our defense is) that it wasn't called, it will be a good barometer for the players through the year.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
themunn":2awjrhbq said:
I don't like it because Brooks lowers his head to hit Wilson after the ball is gone.
I don't mind the hit so much, but the fact that he lowers his head is what makes me say he has enough time to slow up.
Has the decision already been made in his mind? Maybe. But look how far from Wilson Lynch is when first contact is made. I watched it again in real-time and the defender has plenty of time to see if the ball has been handed off, he has one thing on his mind and that is hitting Wilson regardless of whether he hands the ball off or not - he doesn't even LOOK in the direction of Lynch and there's a full second in between the ball being handed off and the hit being made - that's an age in pro football, and I don't believe for a second that Brooks thought Wilson had the ball. That's the problem I have with it.

I thought it was Nnamdi that did a corner blitz.

seahawksflow

Reaction score
Harbaugh came out and mentioned to the league he thought this was a gray area that needed to be clarified. When Carrol was asked his opinion on it, he said he see's no issue with it.

As of now it looks like you have to make a choice. You either run backwards and put your arms up to get extra protection from the refs... or you play into the strategy of not letting the D know fi its a hand off or not and risk getting hit.

freezefail

Reaction score
Considering the niners and hawks have arguably the top two mobile qbs in the league, I would think a lot of teams would not mind the lost of protection during the hand off. *cough* clay matthews.