KJ Wright illegal bat

SEAHAWKSTER

Reaction score
The play kam made was what won the game plain and simple ... What would be the difference if kj recovered the ball then ran out the back of the end-zone or tried to recovered it and it still pushed out or he fell on it in the endzone it was a touch back all ways you think about it ... What i hate the most is the way most media are reporting this as "Seahawks illegally" bat the ball like we knew the rules and broke them on purpose aka... Spygate deflatriots.... No one knew the rules until a 90 yr old ref who is still miffed he got put out to pasture brought it up on espn who loves stirring up s@#t... Get over it Win is a Win ... Should of could of but they didn't etc...

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Here's my thoughts:

*None of the ESPN analysts thought it was a penalty. Most agreed with the non-call even after getting word that it should have been a penalty.

*Nobody for Seattle thought it was an illegal bat.

*None of the officials on the field thought to throw a flag for it, including one official who was standing right in front of it and looking right at it.

*Nobody for Detroit was asking for a penalty, either.

*The rules states - (b) a player of either team bats or punches a loose ball (that has touched the ground) in any direction - Wright did not "bat" or "punch" the ball. He pushed it. Perhaps the NFL needs to define what constitutes a bat or a punch.

*Earl Thomas did something similar last year and was also not flagged for it. Somebody with more free time than me could probably dig up even more plays where pushing a ball is not flagged. Edit: Looks like PackerNation already found one example which actually helps us prove that the referees are being at least fairly consistent with how they call it. Again that Steeler player appears to have pushed the ball.

*KJ Wright could have argued that he was attempting to grab the ball with one hand.

*Because the referee explained that he didn't feel it was an overt batting of the ball, that tells us that he would also have not thrown the flag had Detroit done the same thing. Both teams had the potential to receive the benefit of the no-call. It's one thing if the referee says he missed it because then he might not have missed it for the other team. But if the referee is going to call it consistently for both teams, you really can't complain just because your team didn't put themselves into position for that to happen. I wish more people could grasp this concept.

SEAHAWKSTER

Reaction score
Wait one last thing that cures all 100% of the time 3 little words:
ONTO THE BENGALS
1. 2. 3.

Case closed

fan4life

Reaction score
One official opined that the line judge didn't call the bat illegal since he would have had to make the immediate judgement call that Wrignt's action was clearly intentional AND outcome changing. IOW, the official judged that Wright's move - intentional or not - didn't change anything, since the ball was headed out of the end zone and there was no Lion in position to touch or secure it.

This official was saying that the league office advises against officials making potentially game-changing 'technical' calls that negate what happened on the field - especially when they require him to question a player's 'intent'.

Tough loss for Detroit, but I'm good with that explanation - and the win.

ETA: This would explain the duplicity about the 'Fail Mary' call, too. At the end of the play, the Seahawks came down with the ball; to overturn that 'action on the field' would have required the ref to make a judgement call about who possessed the ball and touched the ground, when. Erring on the side of not changing what happens on the field - in the absence of clear and obvious evidence of an intentional foul or incorrect call - is good guidance, IMHO.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Biggest overreaction ever, no one even said anything when it happened because 99.9% didn't even know that rule existed. Guess it excuses the Lions not being able to stop us on 3rd down with 1:30 left... Anything to hate on the Seahawks.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
fan4life":3qe5pgwe said:
One official opined that the line judge didn't call the bat illegal since he would have had to make the immediate judgement call that Wrignt's action was clearly intentional AND outcome changing. IOW, the official judged that Wright's move - intentional or not - didn't change anything, since the ball was headed out of the end zone and there was no Lion in position to touch or secure it.

This official was saying that the league office advises against officials making potentially game-changing 'technical' calls that negate what happened on the field - especially when they require him to question a player's 'intent'.

Well said. :th2thumbs:

Also saw this on twitter, pretty good. :lol:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/whoisjoserivera/status/651259457356328960[/tweet]

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Id like to see someone cite and example of when this was ever called in an NFL game, so far, Crickets.

MVP53

Reaction score
Ramfan128":cwp7rbkk said:
HawkFreak":cwp7rbkk said:
niveky":cwp7rbkk said:
Smellyman":cwp7rbkk said:
No foul if this is it:

Rule 12-4-1(a) explains that an illegal bat occurs if “a player of either team bats or punches a loose ball in the field of play toward his opponent’s goal line. While Rule 12-4-1(a) doesn’t expressly require intent, Rule 3-2-5(g) defines illegal batting as “the intentional striking of the ball with hand, fist, elbow, or forearm.”

not towards the opponents goal line

Edit: someone else could find the actual rule, someone smarter than me.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-dolphins-patriots-game-comes-under-scrutiny/
That says TOWARDS OPPONENT GOAL LINE.....he was past the opponents goal line and hit it out the back of the endzone....does no one understand reading comprehension? I mean...am I missing something here?

I did see another post that mentioned it being illegal to bat the ball in any direction in either endzone.

What I don't understand is someone reported that the "spirit of the rule" in this case is that the Lions could recover it for a TD. Regardless of the fact that it didn't appear any Lion would be able to before KJ got it...why then is a punter or QB allowed to deny the opposing team the opportunity to recover an muffed snap or fumble in the endzone by batting it out for a safety? I know some explained that the safety and possession change is the penalty so they don't call the "illegal bat in any direction in either endzone"...but in the "spirit of the rule" they intentionally denied the team the chance at recovering football and scoring 7 points. There's certainly no guarantee that gaining 2 points and the ball would turn into more than the 7 points a recovered ball would give the opposing team.

Firstly, I want to say that Seattle deserved to win the game. And if the refs had called it correctly, there's no guarantee the Lions score; even if they do, Seattle would have had over a minute, so even if Detroit scores, there's still not guarantee they win the game.

Having said that, my fiancée is the only one that can back me up on this, but as soon as I saw the play I said "that's a foul". I wish it would have been called, but they are so inconsistent with it that it's not surprising that they didn't call it. What Peyton Manning did for example in the superbowl against the Seahawks on the first play of the game was the same foul - and as previously noted we've seen multiple punters and QBs do it - what's the difference though?

When is the last time you saw a team intentionally bat the ball out of the end zone when a player fumbles while going into the end zone? This is the first time I've seen it happen.

Here's the difference to me: when the ball goes into the offenses own end zone, any outcome is better for the defense than what the penalty would be. So when Peyton batted the ball out of the end zone for a safety against Seattle in the superbowl, they should have thrown a flag and said illegal batting 5 yard penalty against Denver....but the penalty would be declined every time.

Now, it still should be called, because it's a foul for a reason. And maybe they come up with a new enforcement because a punter or QB batting the ball IS an advantage - it prevents the defense from potentially getting a TD.

But the difference here is that when a ball is fumbled into the defenses end zone, good things can happen for BOTH teams - either a turn over or a TD. So the difference between the two scenarios is that one really only benefits one team, while the other could benefit both teams - to be clear, I'm saying that both SHOULD be called. I'm just explaining my take on why it's typically NOT called.

Either way...the Lions deserved to lose. I don't feel bad for the Lions, I feel bad for the fans, who seem to get the short end of big calls every year. The fans didn't fumble, so all they're going to be focused on is the call (rightfully so)....but the Lions literally fumbled the game away, so they have nothing to complain about.

As for why ESPN spent time on it....if another network or twitter broke the news about the illegal bat, it would look pretty bad for ESPN to not have caught it when it was on their network.

Peyton Manning didn't bat the ball out of the end zone against Seattle in the Super Bowl. The ball was snapped over his head, and Knowshon Moreno recovered it in the endzone for a safety.

MVP53

Reaction score
Seahawk":1i9iu2u3 said:
fenderbender123":1i9iu2u3 said:
*Earl Thomas did something similar last year and was also not flagged for it.

I didn't hear a peep about "batting the ball" when Earl did it.

http://nextimpulsesports.com/2014/12/28/earl-thomas-saves-touchdown-forcing-fumble/

That's not the same play at all. That was not a loose ball. Earl forced a fumble and it went out of bounds. Completely different.

Similar to the Sherman tip play that was posted earlier. That wasn't a "loose ball" either.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1v0mjqfw said:
Am I the only one that LOVED the illegal bat non-call? The rule is ticky tack to begin with in that circumstance, but the mystique, the intimidation it works to bolster is priceless! CenturyLink is a house of horrors for opposing teams! It's cursed, cursed I tell you! You can't win here. You either get blown out, or the refs screw you. Damn I love that narrative. Anyone else?

Fun to witness.

Great point of view :th2thumbs: If opposing teams (Green Bay) are thinking about things other than the game, better for us.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":28zxnfkd said:
Id like to see someone cite and example of when this was ever called in an NFL game, so far, Crickets.

Saw someone on Twitter say a Steelers / Pats game this was called a couple years ago? Not sure though. It looked like a different situation that ours. Multiple players running after ball, fighting for it.

I could see it called if both teams had a chance at the ball, and the defense swiped it out to prevent the offense from recovering and scoring a TD....

But in our case like fan4life wrote, no Lions were around, ball going out the back of the endzone on its own, there was no 'outcome changing' on the part of KJ touching the ball. I don't think it's ever been called in a case like last night.

hburn21

Reaction score
MVP53":325e1lls said:
Seahawk":325e1lls said:
fenderbender123":325e1lls said:

http://nextimpulsesports.com/2014/12/28/earl-thomas-saves-touchdown-forcing-fumble/

That's not the same play at all. That was not a loose ball. Earl forced a fumble and it went out of bounds. Completely different.

Similar to the Sherman tip play that was posted earlier. That wasn't a "loose ball" either.
if you watch the end of that play you'll see Earl clearly hit the ball after its loose ut of the endzone. the initial play was forcing the fumble after the ball bounces off the turf he bats it out of bounds

MVP53

Reaction score
hburn21":2lvw218s said:
MVP53":2lvw218s said:
Seahawk":2lvw218s said:
fenderbender123":2lvw218s said:

if you watch the end of that play you'll see Earl clearly hit the ball after its loose ut of the endzone. the initial play was forcing the fumble after the ball bounces off the turf he bats it out of bounds

There is no way you can watch that and conclude Earl intentionally batted the ball out of bounds. KJ Wright's was far more obvious. Again, completely different play.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I think a good analogy for this play would be a camera shot catching an assistant coach down at the other end of the field standing out on the white to get a better view. Against the rules? Yes. Germane to the play? Not so much. Would people be pitching a fit if that had happened?

HawkFreak

Reaction score
MVP53":o8bym85m said:
There is no way you can watch that and conclude Earl intentionally batted the ball out of bounds. KJ Wright's was far more obvious. Again, completely different play.

While definitely not as obvious - I believe you can see Earl's hand direct the ball intentionally to make sure it went through the endzone and out of bounds. Not sure it's completely different - other than how obvious it is.

MVP53

Reaction score
HawkFreak":3lhay8gg said:
MVP53":3lhay8gg said:

While definitely not as obvious - I believe you can see Earl's hand direct the ball intentionally to make sure it went through the endzone and out of bounds. Not sure it's completely different - other than how obvious it is.

Again, there is no way an official could watch that and definitively conclude that was intentional.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
MVP53":3ilgf96x said:
HawkFreak":3ilgf96x said:
MVP53":3ilgf96x said:

Again, there is no way an official could watch that and definitively conclude that was intentional.

How can an official conclude beyond any shred of doubt that KJ Wright wasn't attempting to grab the ball with one hand but didn't get a good grip on it and instead just pushed it out?

themunn

Reaction score
MVP53":3sb3zujn said:

There is every way, because when he did that last year I remember thinking it was amazing that he both forced the fumble AND had the heads up to knock the ball out of play for a touchback. Like many others I had no idea such a move was a foul.

MVP53

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3l31vklb said:
MVP53":3l31vklb said:
HawkFreak":3l31vklb said:
MVP53":3l31vklb said:

How can an official conclude beyond any shred of doubt that KJ Wright wasn't attempting to grab the ball with one hand but didn't get a good grip on it and instead just pushed it out?

Maybe that IS what he thought and the reason why he didn't throw the flag.

That still doesn't make those 2 plays, at all, comparable, IMO.