John Schneider & Pete Carroll Draft Day 1 Press Conference

Jac

Reaction score
It's rare to have that much collective firepower in rounds 2 and 3. Schneider has to be giving consideration to not killing that golden goose and deferring/upselling some of it into 2018 to play the long game. It could be the gift that keeps on giving.

Hawks46

Reaction score
JTB":3h696xn1 said:
Regarding Foster, he had the medical plus the diluted drug test while also playing the position that our All-Pro MLB plays.

Add to this that he weighs 229 lbs, which puts him at the WILL, which we already have in Wright. He's light in the pants for MIKE, but add to that that his position at 4-3 OLB is one that comes off the field 65% of the time now.

It's not a position you're going to spend a "precious 1st" on.

LolaRox

Reaction score
J/P have shown that they understand the 'game of the draft' when acquiring draft capital and have been pretty good at that. Their challenge now is turning all that draft capital into valuable players. Having tons of picks doesn't help your football team if you're not making good picks and the depth on the team has suffered because of their inability to do this in the past couple years.

They have 6 picks today and need to turn those into major contributors on this team.

RW92

Reaction score
i just want to hear how John and Pete answer and justify how you allow a stallion and hitter (check the highlight reel if you don't believe me), go to a rival team that you will have to play against every year for standings and the playoffs?

I'll say this, we must protect Russell now. Because as Foster grows and matures he will become their Kam Chancellor and eventually could do serious harm to our QB.

It's a shame. This kid was everything a Seahawk was built to do. A player, a game changer, who will intimidate and set the tone to make the other team want to get back on the bus.

When he (Foster) becomes a Pro-Bowl Player we'll have to look back on this infamous night when gold was right in our hands, and we let a thief in the night steal it.

mikeak

Reaction score
LolaRox":d02yrx80 said:
J/P have shown that they understand the 'game of the draft' when acquiring draft capital and have been pretty good at that. Their challenge now is turning all that draft capital into valuable players. Having tons of picks doesn't help your football team if you're not making good picks and the depth on the team has suffered because of their inability to do this in the past couple years.

They have 6 picks today and need to turn those into major contributors on this team.

The game is not to acquire draft capital. The game is to get the most number of starters and secondly backups out of each draft as possible alternatively set you up to get that out of the next draft if you are loaded "as-is"

I am not disagreeing with the rest of your post just this "understand the game of the draft" - if you trade down and end up with crap over and over again maybe you have not at all understood the game simply related to the fact that you think you gain by moving down when you don't.

I am honestly not as opposed to what they did this year as much as the philosophy that they are showing to continuously move down. We have seen lots of really good players not available because of this and the shotgun approach may work sometimes but the gun is kind of jammed right now......

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
RW92":21uh2bm2 said:
i just want to hear how John and Pete answer and justify how you allow a stallion and hitter (check the highlight reel if you don't believe me), go to a rival team that you will have to play against every year for standings and the playoffs?

I'll say this, we must protect Russell now. Because as Foster grows and matures he will become their Kam Chancellor and eventually could do serious harm to our QB.

It's a shame. This kid was everything a Seahawk was built to do. A player, a game changer, who will intimidate and set the tone to make the other team want to get back on the bus.

When he (Foster) becomes a Pro-Bowl Player we'll have to look back on this infamous night when gold was right in our hands, and we let a thief in the night steal it.

Well John and Pete spelled it out for you in the OP links provided. But, comprehension is your responsibility.

Try listening >>> [urltargetblank]http://prod.video.seahawks.clubs.nfl.com/SEA/videos/dct/video_audio/2017/04-April/170427presser-32k.mp3[/urltargetblank]

And Condotta spells it out in his tweet.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/857808134252806144[/tweet]

mikeak

Reaction score
^ we really can't trust anything we hear from any front office around the draft. I am not saying it isn't true, but you just can't trust it. They all lie if they think it helps them - who knows sometimes a really dumb bear comes around and trades up one spot bidding against themselves......

Now the rumor is three teams are trying to swap picks with GB - who knows maybe we drop down again......

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
^^^
That is so false. A myth. The Seahawk staff constantly declines to answer or address some questions rather than make up a lie. They have a weekly "tell the truth" day built into their weekly in season schedule. Their self evaluation programs are built on honesty and telling the truth.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
The one thing I found interesting from the presser was that they never even talked moving up. I know it's not regular team philosophy but when Allen dropped to 18 and he's within a reasonable trade radius, how do you not discuss it a little bit. He had to be higher on their internal ratings than anybody they are prepared to draft now. They also dipped into free agency, unsuccessfully, to try to address this spot so they clearly see it as an area to upgrade. Other than that I have no problem with how they handled the first day, besides my wasting all that time waiting for the pick to be told come back tmw :p

mikeak

Reaction score
Jville":35xmwsc5 said:
^^^
That is so false. A myth. The Seahawk staff constantly declines to answer or address some questions rather than make up a lie. They have a weekly "tell the truth" day built into their weekly in season schedule. Their self evaluation programs are built on honesty and telling the truth.

during the season is completely different than what happens during three days of the draft

49ers are out there telling everyone they had a bunch of offers for their 2nd pick

The reporters can't find a single team besides Bears

Either GMs are lying to the reporters or the 49ers are lying

That is very different than during the season lie about stuff

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
mikeak":3pylg9yh said:
Jville":3pylg9yh said:
^^^

during the season is completely different than what happens during three days of the draft

49ers are out there telling everyone they had a bunch of offers for their 2nd pick

The reporters can't find a single team besides Bears

Either GMs are lying to the reporters or the 49ers are lying

That is very different than during the season lie about stuff

When it comes to telling the truth and declining comment, leaders set the example year round. GMs can only work with one another successfully in a culture of mutual trust.

The draft is not some NFL form of liars poker. That notion is a myth.

LolaRox

Reaction score
mikeak":3m4jjzo2 said:
LolaRox":3m4jjzo2 said:

The game is not to acquire draft capital. The game is to get the most number of starters and secondly backups out of each draft as possible alternatively set you up to get that out of the next draft if you are loaded "as-is"

I am not disagreeing with the rest of your post just this "understand the game of the draft" - if you trade down and end up with crap over and over again maybe you have not at all understood the game simply related to the fact that you think you gain by moving down when you don't.

I am honestly not as opposed to what they did this year as much as the philosophy that they are showing to continuously move down. We have seen lots of really good players not available because of this and the shotgun approach may work sometimes but the gun is kind of jammed right now......

I don't think you're saying anything different then I stated. The number of picks doesn't matter if they are not getting valuable players, and they haven't been.

I know the end game of the draft is to elevate the talent on the football team, but there is also a game/strategy to getting the most value out of the picks they have and/or can acquire (draft capital). Ex. yesterday, they traded down thinking they can still get a player they like and pick up an additional pick. There are teams that don't engage in that strategy, those teams would have just picked their player at 26 and forgone the extra pick. The problem with consistently trading back is, in general the talent declines by rounds (maybe not much between the end of one and the beginning of the next) and if they keep trading back they have more picks, but less talented players to choose from.

I don't have a problem with what they did yesterday, However, if they don't turn that draft capital into contributing players (starters and/or good depth) the value of the pick itself doesn't matter. They need to do better with the actual player selection no matter where the pick is.

Latest posts