John Scheider on why Jimmy Graham was brought in.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Seymour":336nu1fi said:
CodeWarrior":336nu1fi said:
Isn't this team's philosophy to get the most talented players on the field and in a position to highlight their abilities? Graham is superior to Richardson and Kearse at this point, and situationally superior to Lockett. Line Jimmy up out wide and sit one of those guys down. Unless you're enjoying the current offensive attack, that is.

It's not 100% on Bevell, Russell has his part in ignoring Graham. On the FG drive Graham was lined up wide R (just as you asked), with trips left. Graham has single coverage with a 6' defender on him,( just what we want and should look for), especially in the red zone. Russell takes the snap, and without hesitation of even looking Jimmy's way tosses a incomplete corner route to Kearse into tight coverage. WTF?

Why is Russell not looking to Jimmy is a bigger question???

Haha, I know it's hard to believe given the current board environment but I wasn't actually blaming Bevell, moreso responding to the above post asking which WR should be sat down to make room for Jimmy. I'm saying I'd give Jimmy a shot over anyone save Baldwin.

Good point, regardless.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1d4km0t5 said:
Isn't this team's philosophy to get the most talented players on the field and in a position to highlight their abilities? Graham is superior to Richardson and Kearse at this point, and situationally superior to Lockett. Line Jimmy up out wide and sit one of those guys down. Unless you're enjoying the current offensive attack, that is.

Fair enough, but I am not sure I agree with the talent assessment. As a pure outside threat, I think Kearse and Richardson (and definitely Lockett) are better than Graham, especially for a team that likes to get vertical. Our current outside receivers are all around 4.40/40 speed or better. Graham is a 4.56/40 guy who can outrun linebackers and out-jump nickel corners, but he isn't going to beat an outside CB down the field. For example, there is precisely zero chance that he makes the same game-winning play that Kearse made against the Packers. Sure, I'm fine with using Graham on the outside a fair amount, but I definitely think you would be losing significant big-play opportunity if you never had Kearse or Richardson out there.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
The misuse of Jimmy Graham is just one shred of evidence in the long case against Darrell Bevell. JS handed him an AR-15, and he's using it as a club.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I feel confident that if the opportunity presents it's self, and Jimmy is playing in a Super Bowl, I still believe he is the type of talent that could take over a game.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Use some freaking imagination! Put one of our super athletic tackles at TE like Fant and move Jimmy to receiver. Jimmy is 6 feet 7 inches tall with great hands. He doesn't have to run fast in goal to go situations in order to seperate from a 5 foot 11 DB. He just has to take two steps and turn!

Based on this interview, Pete must have really layed his own butt on the line for the Beav.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3kuneeee said:
Use some freaking imagination! Put one of our super athletic tackles at TE like Fant and move Jimmy to receiver. Jimmy is 6 feet 7 inches tall with great hands. He doesn't have to run fast in goal to go situations in order to seperate from a 5 foot 11 DB. He just has to take two steps and turn!

Based on this interview, Pete must have really layed his own butt on the line for the Beav.
Not sure what you mean by the last sentence.

kf3339

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":z7gqoqhh said:
They'd probably be happy to use Jimmy as a pure wideout if they had real blocking TEs elsewhere on the roster. Unfortunately, they don't, someone has to block, and Nick Vannett is neither healthy nor proven yet.

On this charge, I don't blame Pete or Bevell. We don't yet have the personnel to really let Jimmy loose as he was meant to be.

Zach Miller was such a huge loss.

There have been plenty of Zach Millet type TE's by draft, FA or even possibly trade that could have been brought in. That type of TE is not as highely valued in this league. PC and/or JS just didn't pull the trigger until Vannett this year. So I don't by that argument in favor of Pete or Bevell at all.

When PC wants a specific type player for his defensive personnel he gets him. He just didn't prioritize the position and thought they could make Graham that type of TE. What a stupid decision.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
chris98251":2gnfjsx2 said:
fenderbender123":2gnfjsx2 said:
How is Graham's blocking looking? I haven't been paying attention.
Like you, he has missed it as well.
Funny

I saw a stat for one of the games, think it was this week's, that showed him wide on 2/3rds of his plays. So it's not like he's in there primarily as a blocker.

Brandon Williams got very few snaps this week (7 maybe?) and so unless he is in line to play some at FB then he's my guess as to who will get waived to fill the still-open 53 spot. That LSU guy Terrence Magee they signed to the PS on Thursday may get a promotion, he is apparently a fearless a blocker and a bowling ball runner when given a chance. Also played some WR at LSU. Goes 215 lbs, so a lot speedier than Tuke and than the still-injured Vannett and Procise.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":fu9h4tbu said:
chris98251":fu9h4tbu said:
fenderbender123":fu9h4tbu said:
How is Graham's blocking looking? I haven't been paying attention.
Like you, he has missed it as well.
Funny

I saw a stat for one of the games, think it was this week's, that showed him wide on 2/3rds of his plays. So it's not like he's in there primarily as a blocker.

Brandon Williams got very few snaps this week (7 maybe?) and so unless he is in line to play some at FB then he's my guess as to who will get waived to fill the still-open 53 spot. That LSU guy Terrence Magee they signed to the PS on Thursday may get a promotion, he is apparently a fearless a blocker and a bowling ball runner when given a chance. Also played some WR at LSU. Goes 215 lbs, so a lot speedier than Tuke and than the still-injured Vannett and Procise.
Dang, I guessed right.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/190618/se ... backfield/