Jaye Howard cut

kearly

Reaction score
I'm guessing we're seeing some "roster lock" type guys get cut in part because Seattle has their eyes on a few other guys around the league who were just cut by their teams. For JS, the 53 man cutdown is really more like a 50 man cutdown.

Largent80

Reaction score
Gotta trust the F.O. on this one, and quite frankly they have proven over time to hit more than miss.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
This is a confusing move , If there was one number that kept jumping out at me during the preseason was number 94. he kept making plays.

In Pete and John I trust , always.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not true.

In the draft their actions have been spectacular.

In FO and other roster moves it has been significantly less of a success rate.

That said, WTF.

Jaye Howard is needed depth at an important position and he was not even particularly expensive.

We got rid of him to keep a roster slot, but we kept a guy like that worthless WR from Kansas State so that we can have 16,231 WRs on the roster instead. It certainly wasn't a salary issue and he was not only performing well but he was not even close to peaking. A young cheap defensive lineman that can spell / rest your primaries is not a bad investment.

A stone handed lazy WR that makes Mike Williams look like Steve Largent is.

seahawkswin1

Reaction score
This may be the cut that we look back on and say "Thank you." Brooks looks like he has made the team and looks pretty good to me, not that I know much. I also thought Howard was a lock. Man it was said there would be some suprises and this was one for me.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
As always, can we slow down the knee jerk reactions?

Wait to see what happens . . . a release today doesn't mean there won't be someone else signed tomorrow.

Patience.

Largent80

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":cxbjnk5a said:
Not true.

In the draft their actions have been spectacular.

In FO and other roster moves it has been significantly less of a success rate.

That said, WTF.

Jaye Howard is needed depth at an important position and he was not even particularly expensive.

We got rid of him to keep a roster slot, but we kept a guy like that worthless WR from Kansas State so that we can have 16,231 WRs on the roster instead. It certainly wasn't a salary issue and he was not only performing well but he was not even close to peaking. A young cheap defensive lineman that can spell / rest your primaries is not a bad investment.

A stone handed lazy WR that makes Mike Williams look like Steve Largent is.

Really?.......So Marshawn Lynch wasn't a hit?.....Or Clem......C'mon man, when it comes to football they know EXACTLY what they are doing. Do they roll the dice?....Ummmm....Yeah, but what F.O. does not?

And Harper has not yet made the team, cuts are still happening.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Lynch was a hit.

Was Whitehurst?

Clemons was. Harvin looks like he might be a disaster so far, since Tate does some of the same things he does and doesn't tie up all that money it turns out we might have needed to keep other guys. Plus Tate isn't made of balsa wood.

Do you honestly believe that our FA success rate is anywhere near our success rate in the draft?

Nobody gets it right 100% of the time, but I am betting our success rate in the draft vs FA operations is significantly higher. Which makes me skeptical this is a good move.

warden

Reaction score
First two years this team made over 500 roster moves. They miss more often then they hit but they never stand pat until they get it right. I love it. Expect a whole bunch more roster moves in the next week.

Largent80

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":v4ikfy78 said:
Do you honestly believe that our FA success rate is anywhere near our success rate in the draft?

Not a fair comparison since you have multiple draft choices. We had what?....10 this year. No team signs 10 free agents just as no team would have 10 draft picks pan out.

I don't care for cutting the guy but they have seen something that justifies it.

Remember how everyone wanted CW to start and we couldn't figure out why he wasn't? It was because they saw something and they were correct (after being wrong on the trade)....But we were in QB hell when they took over.

kf3339

Reaction score
I honestly didn't see this cut coming at all. Hope the Hawks don't live to regret this decision.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
You're going to see less draft "hits" as our draftees come up against entrenched starters, but don't let that distort your view of how awesome this front office is at drafting, just as you shouldn't let the Charlie Whitehurst miss convince you that these guys are not as efficient in the trade/FA market.

When it comes to the QB position, I appreciate what they did when they got here in retrospect, even if it cost us a valuable third-rounder to give Whitehurst a shot. They knew that an aging Matt Hasselbeck was not going to be around much longer and that they needed a new QB that could run their system. They went out and traded for Whitehurst, signed Jackson, signed Flynn, and drafted Wilson all in a two-year period until they found their long-term starter at that position. Now look at how other teams stick with guys who suck at QB because making a change at that premier position is ripe for criticism.

Off-topic, I know, but misses are going to happen and should be considered in context rather than merely as a miss.

blkhwk

Reaction score
A little surprised, but not really caught off guard, look at who is left. Howard was listed as 3rd LDE behind Red & Bennett.

Not sure who Howard was going to beat out or take playing time from?

DT: Mebane, McDonald, McDaniel, Hill, (Red & Bennett can play inside also) and maybe Brooks

LDE: Red, Bennett

LEO/DE: Avril, Clem, Bennett, Powell, Schofield, Mayowa

There will still be some cuts made to the D-line, they cannot carry all the guys listed above.

This probably means that all the injuries on the D-line aren't very serious.

The LEO position guys would probably get the nod over a DT type due to their ability to cover kicks etc.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
I wonder if this is related to his conditioning? I know he worked hard in the offseason to get into better shape but he still appears to take plays off every now and then. Yes, he can look really good in spurts but I am not sure if his conditioning will ever be NFL baseline. Still, it is a little surprising considering he would be a part of a rotation which would keep him fresh.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
I wonder if this is related to his conditioning? I know he worked hard in the offseason to get into better shape but he still appears to take plays off every now and then. Yes, he can look really good in spurts but I am not sure if his conditioning will ever be NFL baseline. Still, it is a little surprising considering he would be a part of a rotation which would keep him fresh.

Latest posts