OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
DomeHawk":k4gz8yec said:
Marvin49":k4gz8yec said:
DomeHawk":k4gz8yec said:
It always perplexes me when people equate 1st round picks to proven NFL players, especially pro-bowlers. A 1st round pick has the potential to go to multiple pro bowls 17% of the time. Given that Ramsey is a 1st team "all-pro" that percentage goes way down.

So you are getting a proven all-pro compared to giving up two players who might be all-pro players but according to the statistics, is high unlikely.

Like I said previously, given our terrible history with 1st rounders that sounds like a deal, for us at least.

As I said before, how do you know he's "proven"? We know he was good in Jacksonville in a different system and we are assuming he'll be good in LA.

That could be right.

You don't know what you are giving up with those picks, but what you DO know is that you will be unable to address problems you see on the team through the draft in a meaningful way for a few years. Those needs can also change and you now have zero flexibility.

Moreover, you are giving up effectively TEN YEARS of cheap contract for a guy that effectively pouted his way out of town.

What if he does it again?

How many teams have made the exact argument you made above and then regretted it later. To me, the "known commodity" is a myth. Herschel Walker was a known commodity. Nnamdi Asomugha was a known commodity. Percy Harvin was a known commodity.

One pick? I can see that...particularly 2nd round or later. A first? If its a really good player without a personality issue, maybe.

2 first? Can someone give me a single example of someone giving up multiple 1s for a "proven" player and not regretting it later? There may well be one, but I can think of it. In the draft, Julio Jones comes to mind, but for a vet player?

Not worth it.

Any trade is a gamble as is any draft pick. This isn't an exact science by any stretch of the imagination.

These kinds of trades are rare in recent history BUT ask any Chicago Bears fan if what they gave up was worth acquiring Mack.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers acquire WR Keyshawn Johnson from New York Jets for two first rounders. It's hard to argue with the Buccaneers' trajectory after making this trade. They made the playoffs in each of the next three years with Johnson as their leading receiver, capped by a victory in Super Bowl XXXVII. The Jets turned to less vocal targets in their passing game, primarily Laveranues Coles and Santana Moss, in the process of making four playoff appearances during the next six seasons.

Indianapolis Colts acquire RB Eric Dickerson from Los Angeles Rams. The Colts got an immediate bump from this mid-season trade, clinching a playoff berth for the first time since 1977. Dickerson went onto win the NFL rushing title in 1988 but injuries slowed him down after that, and the Colts did not return to the playoffs before he moved on after the 1991 season. The Rams were able to restock their roster, and they made the playoffs in 1988 and the advanced to the NFC Championship Game in 1989. But overall the impact was limited. They missed the playoffs for the next nine consecutive years.

And, there were other trades that went just the opposite. But, the point I was making was it could have been a good trade for the Seahawks because of our ineptitude draftting in the first round.

See...I look at those two trades and see them as an example of why NOT to make those trades.

Different strokes I guess.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2teprgzs said:
Rams really knew what they were doing - getting Ramsay and throwing an L at the Seahawks by giving the Ravens Marcus Peters :D

Trade doesn't bother me at all. First round picks are overrated.

Haven't had a first round pick since we drafted Goff, and have managed some decent drafts.

The only comp for this type of move is Mack - and that obviously has paid off for Chicago. Only real downside is the cap situation - this means John Johnson will not be re-signed, and shortly after Kupp gets extended (a year or two), either Cooks or Woods will have to go.

This will allow Wade to actually play his scheme - huge change for the defense, which were the primary reason we lost two games.

People keep saying that the Rams problem is the OL - and that may be true - but our offense has been very good in every game except that Niner game, and I could see that game turning out to be an aberration.

Ya know, I can respect that. You are a Ram fan and I can't say I wouldn't be excited to get a player like Ramsey.

I just don't like letting go of 1st round picks. No, they don't always work out, but for me when you do that you make it very hard to address needs you don't even know you have yet.

As I said in previous post, different strokes.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Marvin49":3gkanabp said:
Ramfan128":3gkanabp said:
Rams really knew what they were doing - getting Ramsay and throwing an L at the Seahawks by giving the Ravens Marcus Peters :D

Trade doesn't bother me at all. First round picks are overrated.

Haven't had a first round pick since we drafted Goff, and have managed some decent drafts.

The only comp for this type of move is Mack - and that obviously has paid off for Chicago. Only real downside is the cap situation - this means John Johnson will not be re-signed, and shortly after Kupp gets extended (a year or two), either Cooks or Woods will have to go.

This will allow Wade to actually play his scheme - huge change for the defense, which were the primary reason we lost two games.

People keep saying that the Rams problem is the OL - and that may be true - but our offense has been very good in every game except that Niner game, and I could see that game turning out to be an aberration.

Ya know, I can respect that. You are a Ram fan and I can't say I wouldn't be excited to get a player like Ramsey.

I just don't like letting go of 1st round picks. No, they don't always work out, but for me when you do that you make it very hard to address needs you don't even know you have yet.

As I said in previous post, different strokes.

It's also so skewed right now because we were 3-3 when the trade happened and the OL had just gotten manhandled. BTW - work was ridiculous for me after that game so I wasn't around, but great game there. Really impressed with the Niners front four.

Fans especially hold first round picks in such high regard - and in truth, I do too - but the Rams have now gone "all in" and "mortgaged the future" so many times, that's ultimately why it just doesn't bother me. When we traded for Goff, people everywhere lauded the Titans - and that year, we were awful, and we gifted the Titans a top 5 pick who they turned into......Corey Davis. Of course, we could have drafted a stud there had we kept the pick, we'll never know - but in that very draft, we came away with Gerald Everett, John Johnson and Cooper Kupp - the latter two probably being top 10 at their positions (if JJ wasn't hurt).

Having said all that, I am concerned. Anytime you pay big money out, you have to draft well. This feels like the last time the Rams go "all in", and settle on a core of: Goff, Donald, Ramsay, Kupp, Cooks, Littleton (will probably be re-signed this offseason) and maybe Gurley - he can (and probably will) be cut after 2021, and they can likely structure contracts around that to keep another part of the core intact.

I think another big reason for this trade was the pass rush - Ramsay allows man to man and more blitzing - we can just say the Falcons are bad, but the Niners were playing backup linemen and we didn't generate nearly enough pressure - and for having Aaron Donald, our pass rush has been severely under-performing.