Jachai Polite

OP
OP
Lightone3232

Lightone3232

Reaction score
Seahawkwalt1967":269awjuz said:
I was impressed by his highlights as well. He reminds me of Irvin. If anyone can mentor him it’s Coach Carrol. It wouldn’t surprise me if he starts down the road

Whether it's Pete, or others in the organization, you're right. It seems that we have a knack for getting the good out of players that other teams could not

xray

Reaction score
Many of the best young bring baggage in many ways. The Hawks can try to get him and deal with his baggage or don't go after him .

chris98251

Reaction score
xray":ht0j411x said:
Many of the best young bring baggage in many ways. The Hawks can try to get him and deal with his baggage or don't go after him .

Late to the party? He is on the PS and we are talking about if Pete can turn him into a force without the head case issues.

McGruff

Reaction score
chris98251":gczkwdni said:
xray":gczkwdni said:

Late to the party? He is on the PS and we are talking about if Pete can turn him into a force without the head case issues.

Sounds like hes at the party and had a bit too much . . .

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Lightone3232":djuxxf0y said:
Seahawkwalt1967":djuxxf0y said:
I was impressed by his highlights as well. He reminds me of Irvin. If anyone can mentor him it’s Coach Carrol. It wouldn’t surprise me if he starts down the road

Whether it's Pete, or others in the organization, you're right. It seems that we have a knack for getting the good out of players that other teams could not

Most others save for Cable.

mikeak

Reaction score
chris98251":30g1e8ld said:
Kid is being a kid, fined over 100,000 last season for being late and other team infractions, needs to get his head on straight, maybe Pete can help, or maybe he can't, kid was not picked up so the word is out on him.

How was he fined last season when he was just drafted?

McGruff

Reaction score
mikeak":24qm0ldj said:
chris98251":24qm0ldj said:
Kid is being a kid, fined over 100,000 last season for being late and other team infractions, needs to get his head on straight, maybe Pete can help, or maybe he can't, kid was not picked up so the word is out on him.

Worse. He has been fined $100,000 in 4 months of being a rookie.

CPHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":cy0btfxu said:
mikeak":cy0btfxu said:
chris98251":cy0btfxu said:

While it looks bad, we have to consider the Jets are also probably the worse ran franchise in the nfl. I'd bet Pete can turn him around.

mikeak

Reaction score
McGruff":3vvzl43j said:
mikeak":3vvzl43j said:
chris98251":3vvzl43j said:

Wow. That is crazy. Never heard of anything like this. Makes you wonder if he decided to force his way out....

Thanks for clarifying

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's zero risk with minor upside. Polite just seems like one of those people with zero motivation that should never have a guaranteed contract in the first place. He received $1.1 million from the Jets in the form of a signing bonus and apparently felt that was enough. At some point he's going to realize that he isn't nearly as rich as he thinks after paying his buddies/family, his agent, state taxes and then federal taxes. Maybe he'll put in some effort then and get a prove it contract from somebody else next year.

However, based on his behavior with the Jets I would hesitate very hard over giving him any amount of guaranteed dollars in the future.

Fade

Reaction score
He has a more explosive first step than Irvin, and better bend imo.

This guy was available for a reason though, he must be a real knucklehead.

But we're talkin' PRACTICE... squad. If he is a problem -> bye bye.

massari

Reaction score
Mental issues aside, his weight seems to be a concern as well.

Apparently he played college in the 230's where he dominated using high end speed/burst/athleticism and didn't have much else. Then had a terrible combine after he packed on about 20lbs. He claimed a hamstring injury was the reason, then went on to have an even worse pro day.

[youtube]K0Ral1nvNgc[/youtube]

It sort of sounds like Irvin, except Irvin went from 235 to 245 and did great at the combine.

So maybe they'll get his weight back down into the 240's if it's not there yet.

He's already not performed well on the field for the Jets this preseason and training camp, so If he can't hold that much weight, it's going to be a long shot for him.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
If he's not effective beyond 230lbs, but in college he was some kind of athletic freak, then do you change his position? Maybe try and convert him to Strong Safety? Kam was 230 himself. Admittedly I don't know much of Polite's profile or all his skill sets, so I'm not sure how feasible that is.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
No risk/high reward move here.

Seattle shuffles the PS weekly. Expect him to be cut soon though. He had one of the worst draft seasons I can remember.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
I don't think his weight will be an issue, Pete always favored speed over size. He can be a good situational player, especially if someone mentors him on how to conduct oneself as an NFL guy. We used to have a locker room full of leaders who could do that. We'll see how that piece plays out now.

xray

Reaction score
Maybe getting dumped by the team that drafted him shakes him up some. He might realize now that the NFL is a business of professionals and he is at the mercy of whatever team has his rookie butt . He could be a bargain in the end ; or he's down the road . He's cheap and does have talent . IMO

McGruff

Reaction score
It's far far far more likely that Polite is dumped tomorrow for some no name TE from Central South Texas El Paso CC than he ever becomes anything in the NFL.

I was a fan of Polite in the draft. On the field he is a total dawg.

But hes a powder keg with a short fuse.

No skin if our back, but I wouldn't get your Hope's up.

JumpmanXhawk

Reaction score
Low risk with a possible high reward in a season or two. He relied on speed too much, hopefully he can learn and improve as a rusher behind the scenes. Apparently Brian Burns brother tried to help him out back in college and he wouldn't listen, Burns is killing it so far. Like many said, he'll either learn from the past and his mistakes or he'll never make noise in this league.

Bet the Jets would like to have Chase Winovich right about now.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well with Clowney here now maybe getting back to a more reasonable playing weight for himself and having a guy like Clowney show him what it really is to be a top dog may help him also.