John63

Reaction score
12forlife":1zxtcbvn said:
Who do you have penciled in at RT?

Shell

Considering g iupati is a guard it does not matter

kf3339

Reaction score
With this many veteran guards being signed, it does make me think the interior OL may not be a priority in the draft, which to me is a massive shame. I still see an OC and OT as priorities in the draft, but hard to say with some of their moves.

The D-line is still a work in progress and not much help in the draft so we will see.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well whenever we see a position need we bring in three times as many as will make the team it seems, that and we have had a problem with injuries getting out of camp the last few years, may be hedging against that also.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Given how we are actually going to operate does anybody really want our LG to be selected based on pass blocking? Surely part of what has made Russell Wilson one of the top QBs in the NFL is his ability to operate successfully behind a primarily run blocking line. Whether you agree with the direction of the team or not, having great run blocking is key for what they are trying to accomplish.

kf339":2x7cguc9 said:
With this many veteran guards being signed, it does make me think the interior OL may not be a priority in the draft, which to me is a massive shame. I still see an OC and OT as priorities in the draft, but hard to say with some of their moves.
I don't see it that way at all. This is a one year deal, Fluker is on the last year of his deal, and with the COVID crisis + half the number of padded practices even in the best times you really want rookie linemen to have lots of time to develop. Whether we draft a guard (and how many) will be based on what they think about Phil Haynes, Ethan Pocic, John Molchon, Jordan Roos, and Demetrius Knox as long-term replacements.

The way they have gone about this off-season eases the transition for any rookies they draft. If we take an OT at #27 then they can compete with Shell at RT this off-season and likely get plenty of reps as a swing tackle. Then they can take over for Brown next year with a much better chance of success then rookie LTs will have this year.

Similarly, any center we draft can compete with Finney/Pocic/Hunt and then at the worst take Hunt's job if they are any good. At the best they can win the starting job in a competition because they are ready for it, and not just be thrown into the starting role because of need like we did with Ifedi all those years at RT.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This signing just confirms my suspicion that John and Pete have been using their quarantine time to build a Frankenstein lab underneath the VMAC where they're as we speak building elite offensive linemen using parts from all these mediocre lineman we've signed.

"Now introducing!.........................#1...............................Chance IupaFinney!!!"

Rankenstein football player eps vector csp29027786

Danny Darko

Reaction score
under quarantine Fluker and Iupati are going to come into camp at a combined weight of 810 lbs.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":34m6wq0b said:
Signing Iupati clearly suggests that they are considering Finney as a center. This also points to Britt either restructuring or getting released. It leans more toward the latter.

Likely true! However, I think we could see Britt staying until the end of camp to allow him to get healthy then a 3rd option of being traded comes into play. There could be a lot of dominos that fall at C if Britt is replaced and the team drafts a C. This could allow for the recapture of a significant amount of cap room.

sutz

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1d785dgl said:
hawkfan68":1d785dgl said:
Signing Iupati clearly suggests that they are considering Finney as a center. This also points to Britt either restructuring or getting released. It leans more toward the latter.

Likely true! However, I think we could see Britt staying until the end of camp to allow him to get healthy then a 3rd option of being traded comes into play. There could be a lot of dominos that fall at C if Britt is replaced and the team drafts a C. This could allow for the recapture of a significant amount of cap room.
Until Britt's knee is cleared to go, his situation remains complicated. They can do an injury settlement and release, but if they think he may recover, maybe they want to see him get healthy and maybe get something in trade for him.

Personally, I wouldn't mind him staying at center if he recovers. He was pretty good for us before the injury.

John63

Reaction score
All I know it other than LT we have question marks all over the place and nothing they have done so fa, has improved pass blocking at all.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
It has decreased the number of likely drive killing penalties though.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":3rd6knmz said:
All I know it other than LT we have question marks all over the place and nothing they have done so fa, has improved pass blocking at all.

Addition by subtraction, the Right side is much better, Ifedi was much of a hit and miss guy, when he missed it was really bad like in the wrong ballpark miss and then his false starts.

olyfan63

Reaction score
chrispy":3kvdyfln said:
Go Vandals!

Mayowa on the D, Iupati back on the O, Seahawks opponents, prepare to be VANDAL-IZED this season!

- My parents are both UI grads, met while there, and I was born in Moscow

olyfan63

Reaction score
John63":faxu5a3x said:
12forlife":faxu5a3x said:
Who do you have penciled in at RT?
Shell

Considering g iupati is a guard it does not matter

Umm...
Art Shell was good in his day, veteran presence for sure, like having another coach on the field, but isn't he a bit old for today's game? He'd only be a "shell" of the in-his-prime former self ;)

Seriously, I wasn't aware of which Shell OL joined the team. Guess I'll find out in another thread.

And don't forget about G Jordan Simmons. That dude is a beast. Maybe they can rotate him and Iupati and have both stay healthy enough to play.