Is Bennett holding out for a new contract?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
If he wanted to re-negotiate his contract every two years, he should have signed a two-year contract.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I would say currently he is holding out, he made that clear on the NFL Network.

Once he starts getting fined, I doubt the holdout lasts

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":dl20zicd said:

Genuinely curious: what's he holding out from?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":y64xxeh3 said:
Hawkfan77":y64xxeh3 said:

Genuinely curious: what's he holding out from?

It depends on how you define holdout. As one ex-exec said, everything that happens before training camp is "100 percent bluster." The implication from Bennett's statements is that he has intentionally avoided participation in voluntary team activities as a way of pressuring the front office to give him more money than he agreed to just last year. He is not required to attend these workouts, though missing them isn't exactly helping the team either.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... yers-teams

Bennett has hinted at a holdout, but has not actually held out yet, IMO. We won't know for sure whether he is a holdout until the mandatory veteran mini-camp on June 16.

Hawks46

Reaction score
There was just an article on NFL.com that echoed much of the link above.

Technically, he's not holding out, as he hasn't missed anything mandatory, but he's making it public he's not there right now over money.

I honestly don't know what Rosenhaus and Bennett think they're going to get done with this. Blount theorized that he's hoping to get some cash forwarded like Lynch did. Bennett is 30. Not many teams are going to give him 7 mil/year, as evidenced by him actually HITTING free agency last year and not getting it. He played well last year, but not significantly better than the year before.

The other problem is Seattle literally can't rework Bennett's deal. It sets a horrible precedent to let players take conservative deals and then hold out for more money the next year they feel they out perform their contract. I can't remember the last time ANY player signed a 4 year deal then expressed dissatisfaction with it only a year later. Sorry you have buyer's remorse Mikey, but this was the most you could get at the time.

Question for you salary guys: Blount claimed Bennett is the 14th highest paid DE in the league this year. Bennett is saying he wants to be payed around 7th or 8th highest, which is where he feels his talent level and production are (which I won't argue with him on that point, it's valid). When he actually signed his contact, wasn't he right around that 7th or 8th level of contract ? This last year's round of contracts obvoiusly bumped that up, but Bennett has to realize that he can't keep following the bell curve of contracts up every year.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
he can sit out as long as he wants. he's got a signed contract that's only a year old.

if money is that important to him, he won't be interested in letting the fines add up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pmedic920":1xip0vyh said:

July 15th, 2014

“I decided to stay, basically, because of the fans,” Bennett said. “I love the fans here. Sometimes money can’t buy happiness, the way I’m happy in Seattle, especially with all the players I get to play with … if it takes a little less (money) to be successful, sometimes it’s worth it.”

May 29th, 2015

"But at the end of the day, it's all about the business part of it. Sometimes people see your value as something else and sometimes you see your value as something different. It's just part of the business. We'll see what happens. The ideal situation would be that I get a raise and that will be something great."

Make up your mind Mikey.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
hawknation2015":44txdm7s said:
Jville":44txdm7s said:
^^^ There you go ..... big jump from a quote that reads "I’m not back just yet.” to some third wheel, with nothing original to contribute, to arbitrarily infer and declare a "holdout".

The impression I got from Bennett when he said that was that it directly related to his request for more money. Meaning, he has chosen to not attend the off-season team workouts and other voluntary activities as leverage. Will that continue into training camp after the FO rather inevitably gives him no new money? I hope not. We are trying to battle for another Super Bowl, and he needs to learn to gel playing beside new players like Frank Clark.

Nope, their's virtually NO chance of this spilling into training camp. The reason is simple. If he misses mandatory workouts-- minicamp next week or training camp, the team can fine him substantially the fines per day are quite significant under the new CBA. That why you haven't seen anyone of note holding out in training camp, or at least not for more than a few days. It's cost prohibitive.

I have no sympathy for Bennett. He's been on the open market TWICE and took both deals with Seattle. If he's unhappy with his deal, he has no one to blame but himself and his agent. If this was year 3 of a 4 year deal, I'd feel differently. But this is just the 1st offseason after his new deal.