Interesting Hawkblogger visuals on the Seahawks salary cap

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":cz8iuvik said:
..........Like I said, if we want to stay on top, then we have to continue to hit on draft picks at a high rate to replace the guys we can't afford to resign. This year is going to be a HUGE draft for Pete and John.

Agree Sarge, and thanks for pasting the graph into this thread.

Doc, Cincy should be the best team in the AFC in my opinion. Best defense along with KC of the good teams in that conference, good running game etc. Looks to me like the Ginger is simply holding them back and until he figures it out it could go on with them winning 9 or 10 every year and exiting out in the first round for the foreseeable future.

Teqneek

Reaction score
Why is Russel Okung going to get a pay increase? I like the guy, hes a corner stone.. but.. 12 million dollars.. really? Hes the 10th highest paid LT in the game, thats f rom his Rookie contract.. I still dont see why he gets a boost that high. Walter Jones never made 12 million a year :p

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I would kill myself (not really) if Okung gets extended for 10-12 mil per when guys who are better and healthier than him are getting extended/signed between 6.5-8.5 per.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2d4u28ad said:
hawknation2014":2d4u28ad said:
Sgt. Largent":2d4u28ad said:

$15 million for Wilson seems overly optimistic.

Basically, what this shows us is this year and possibly next year are our best opportunities to win another Super Bowl. After that, it's going to get kind of dicy. We will need to find a new RB with limited cap space. Harvin is going to have to live up to his massive, Mark Sanchez-sized salary. Both he and Okung will need to stay healthy.

I figure this will be the last season we see Marshawn Lynch as a Seahawk, as he will have a 9M cap figure next year and will be 29 when the 2015 season hits.. the way Marshawn runs, age 29 may as well be 35. Maybe they restructure his contract to get another year out of him but it will be dicy..

As for Harvin. His deal is structured in a way where we are absorbing his huge cap hits now.. come 2016 Harvin could be released and we'd save 8M, 2017 we'd save 10M and 2018 11.5M .. so basically if Harvin is a bust after 2015 we can and probably will let him go. Even if he's not a bust.. Harvin is going to be a candidate to re-structure his deal in a couple of years. The Harvin deal paired with Tate leaving is EXACTLY why I want this team to draft a WR this year with one of their first two picks. It is incredibly deep at that position and we need a cheap option for 4-5 years with major upside. I love Baldwin and Kearse, but you have to believe (especially in the case of Kearse) that if they continue to perform as they did last year that they could command a comparable deal to Tate on the open market and that would be really hard to do with all the other extensions coming down the pipeline.

Okung.. probably the same thing.. though LT's are much harder to find than WR's. When Okung is healthy hes one of the better left tackles in the game.. so I imagine he will have a bit more rope than Percy, but extending him soon will be important to the long-term plans given the salary he will probably command. Especially after you just saw lesser talent at that position get paid quite the pretty penny on the open market.

1. I think Marshawn Lynch retires after this season.
2. I also don't believe Percy will see the lifetime of his contract without a restructure.
3. Its ironic that you say we need to draft a WR to prepare for Baldwin/Kearse getting Tate money, when both Baldwin and Kearse were UDFA.
4. Okung should be resigned between 7-8 per, or he isn't worth it.
5. I'll add that the Seahawks could move on from Max Unger after this season, if they feel Lemuel Jeanpierre can do as good of a job for a fraction of the price.

Tical21

Reaction score
I can't see Marshawn leaving after next season unless one of two things happens...

A. Christine Michael finds some playing time and goes off
B. Marshawn misses about half the season to injury

We're going to go deep into the playoffs, and Marshawn is going to run for 1300+ yards and be the centerpiece. And then we're going to cut him? I don't see it. Restructure, maybe. But Marshawn is here until he hits the wall, and I just can't see his production dropping off the face of the planet next season.

The problem with Okung is that his rookie contract is so big. If he was playing for 5 million this season, it would be much easier to bump him to 8 or 9. Unfortunately, players that play well don't take paycuts from their rookie contract to their second contract.

It is time to draft, draft, draft. We need to keep rotating young LB's. Sorry Wags, sorry KJ, sorry Bruce. We need to keep coming up with D-Line depth. We need to keep finding new guards. We need to keep drafting DB depth. Schneider hit it big and built his core. Now the real work starts.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Tical21":2l0tr7yh said:
I can't see Marshawn leaving after next season unless one of two things happens...

We're going to go deep into the playoffs, and Marshawn is going to run for 1300+ yards and be the centerpiece. And then we're going to cut him? I don't see it. Restructure, maybe. But Marshawn is here until he hits the wall, and I just can't see his production dropping off the face of the planet next season.

The problem with Okung is that his rookie contract is so big. If he was playing for 5 million this season, it would be much easier to bump him to 8 or 9. Unfortunately, players that play well don't take paycuts from their rookie contract to their second contract.

It is time to draft, draft, draft. We need to keep rotating young LB's. Sorry Wags, sorry KJ, sorry Bruce. We need to keep coming up with D-Line depth. We need to keep finding new guards. We need to keep drafting DB depth. Schneider hit it big and built his core. Now the real work starts.

I think you're missing some points.

1. Its not just Christine Michael, the Seahawks still have Robert Turbin and Spencer Ware, the latter of which can still be stashed on the PS if need be. So, if Michael doesn't "go off" in 2014, the Seahawks still have the potential to field an effective three headed attack.

2. I wouldn't just assume the Seahawks will cut Lynch. There is a strong chance that he may just retire depending on how his season goes in 2014, whether if it was successful or not because of the wear, tear, and pounding his body has taken over the years. His media obligations. Plus, the team moving on from his two of, if not most significant football brothers in Michael Robinson and Breno Giacomini. So, even if he does stay healthy, and he's successful, and the team wins another Superbowl... it might not be the same for him (in the lockerroom) and he'll have little else to prove (on the field) to vindicate putting his body through more torture and pain. So again there is a possibly chance he just walks away, with his head held high, and considering that he was considering to retire after 2014 but "reneged" (Sherman's words) you cannot say I'm off base with far-fetched ideals.

Tical21

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":31lej4ds said:
Tical21":31lej4ds said:

I think you're missing some points.

1. Its not just Christine Michael, the Seahawks still have Robert Turbin and Spencer Ware, the latter of which can still be stashed on the PS if need be. So, if Michael doesn't "go off" in 2014, the Seahawks still have the potential to field an effective three headed attack.

2. I wouldn't just assume the Seahawks will cut Lynch. There is a strong chance that he may just retire depending on how his season goes in 2014, whether if it was successful or not because of the wear, tear, and pounding his body has taken over the years. His media obligations. Plus, the team moving on from his two of, if not most significant football brothers in Michael Robinson and Breno Giacomini. So, even if he does stay healthy, and he's successful, and the team wins another Superbowl... it might not be the same for him (in the lockerroom) and he'll have little else to prove (on the field) to vindicate putting his body through more torture and pain. So again there is a possibly chance he just walks away, with his head held high, and considering that he was considering to retire after 2014 but "reneged" (Sherman's words) you cannot say I'm off base with far-fetched ideals.

Sure, they have potential for a 3-headed monster, but I wouldn't think they feel comfortable handing the bell cow over to "potential". They aren't about to rely on them unless they get a good deal of experience this season and play well in that time. Whether or not they have Spencer Ware on their practice squad has zero bearing over how important Marshawn Lynch is to this team, regardless of his SPARQ rating.

You're right. I should have said I cannot see Marshawn Lynch being cut unless one of the two conditions are met. I agree there at least is some possibility that he retires.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Tical21":15nsglk7 said:

Disagree about Wags. Don't think he goes anywhere. Agree about Okung and it wouldn't surprise me if he was cut loose after next year particularly if he's hurt half the season again. They may think Bailey is next in line. I know it sounds crazy, but.........

CANHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":wsgubcpi said:
Tical21":wsgubcpi said:

Disagree about Wags. Don't think he goes anywhere. Agree about Okung and it wouldn't surprise me if he was cut loose after next year particularly if he's hurt half the season again. They may think Bailey is next in line. I know it sounds crazy, but.........

Wagz is the man. He ain't going anywhere. MLB is too important to the scheme. We struggled with Heater and Tatupu in there and didn't reeealy start to dominate until Wagz arrived on the scene. He's not like Wilson/Thomas level important, but he's about on the same level as Kam (yeah, that high). He has a special skill set that can't be found on any old street corner.

The only way I see them cutting Big Russell loose is if he proves to be completely and totally broken. Perpetually injured to the point where he contributes next to nothing. I know people don't think he's necessarily worth his contract, but the fact is that the cost to replace him would be significantly more than the cost to retain him. I've said it before; the only place to find good to elite level LT's like Okung is in the first 8 picks of the draft or by paying a king's ransom in trade. Teams don't let LT's the level of Okung hit the street, and if they do you better believe they gon git PAID like Oprah.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1hrzpesu said:
Tical21":1hrzpesu said:

Not sounds crazy but is crazy. You pay your LT end of story. Unless you want a top 5 pick to draft your next LT? Also Wagner is staying and will get paid.

Tical21

Reaction score
There is no money to pay Wagner, sorry. Not gonna happen. MLB is about the 18th most important position out of 22. You can find other Bobby Wagners. MLB's are a dime a dozen. Weren't we just as good, if not better, with KJ Wright in the middle? As good as Wags is, there just isn't any way they can afford to pay more players. If you want to discuss Okung leaving, Sherman leaving, fine, sign all the mid-level players you want. But we're very much heading towards having a handful of big numbers, and 40 numbers that are as little as possible, and MLB is a position where the difference between a great player and a good player isn't worth a handful of million dollars.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I count 7 big numbers there that's right in line with what you do when paying your core. Sometimes that number is even a bit higher. MLB's aren't break the bank types anyway.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I count 7 big numbers there that's right in line with what you do when paying your core. Sometimes that number is even a bit higher.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CANHawk":2a8givhe said:
hawksfansinceday1":2a8givhe said:
Tical21":2a8givhe said:

Wagz is the man. He ain't going anywhere. MLB is too important to the scheme. We struggled with Heater and Tatupu in there and didn't reeealy start to dominate until Wagz arrived on the scene. He's not like Wilson/Thomas level important, but he's about on the same level as Kam (yeah, that high). He has a special skill set that can't be found on any old street corner.

The only way I see them cutting Big Russell loose is if he proves to be completely and totally broken. Perpetually injured to the point where he contributes next to nothing. I know people don't think he's necessarily worth his contract, but the fact is that the cost to replace him would be significantly more than the cost to retain him. I've said it before; the only place to find good to elite level LT's like Okung is in the first 8 picks of the draft or by paying a king's ransom in trade. Teams don't let LT's the level of Okung hit the street, and if they do you better believe they gon git PAID like Oprah.
You and I definitely disagree with Tical on Bobby. Time will tell if he's correct or we are. And you're probably right about Okung CAN. Maybe it's just my frustration with his injuries talking.

Tical21

Reaction score
This year, 45 players made 10 million or more, per John Clayton. We're about to have 5 of them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Teqneek":2ko8o6in said:
Why is Russel Okung going to get a pay increase? I like the guy, hes a corner stone.. but.. 12 million dollars.. really? Hes the 10th highest paid LT in the game, thats f rom his Rookie contract.. I still dont see why he gets a boost that high. Walter Jones never made 12 million a year :p

Because LT's are arguably the most important position in the NFL after QB. So when you have a good one, you hold onto him like grim death............and agents know that.

But Okung going from 8M to 11-12M isn't that big of a deal cap wise, especially spread out over a new 4-5 year contract. Okung hasn't exactly been durable while with us, so maybe that holds down his value slightly. But I doubt it.

Latest posts