If we would have just picked the next guy (2019 edition)

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Next Picks:
(Starter indicates current ESPN Depth chart)
1. Deandre Baker – (Starter) LOL the co-defendant in Dunbars case. As a player he played in all of the games. 61 tackles with 48 solo. 8 passes defended. Maybe in jail soon Who knows.
a. Seattle: Collier – Back-up or Inactive
2. Eric McCoy – Center. (Starter) “McCoy's season was a good one, as he started in all 16 games for the Saints. He graded out as PFF's highest graded rookie lineman in 2019. They even gave New Orleans the fifth-best ranking in their most productive rookie class.”
a. Marquise Blair – Back-up
3. Zack Allen – DL AZ – (Starter)
a. DK Metcalf (Starter) Seattle the clearly the winner here
4. Bobby Okereke LB Colts (Starter)
a. Cody Barton (Backup) - and we had to use a first rounder to get another LB the following draft???
5. Trevon Wesco - meh TE
a. Gary Jennings Jr. – waived without playing a game. Does it get worse than that.

The rest are backups and really nobody expect hits in rounds 6 and 7.

I am really high on DK so I would probably still take ours but ONE starter??? Somehow the other teams went 4 out of 5 for starters.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I really thing that what has put the Hawks behind the 8 ball has been our lousy record in drafting in the higher rounds. Generally good teams will not strive with mediocre drafting, especially at the top. I just don't understand JS&PC's love of drafting potentials with baggage, there are reasons why they arn't picked. Our only saving grace has been Wilson. Gotta think we would be a sub 500 team without him.

xray

Reaction score
How about if we could just give the last ones back . :D

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We don't draft for the best possibility someone becomes a starter.

We draft for a best chance that someone becomes a star.

Put bluntly, we value upside more than capability or immediate value.

This works but only when you have several spins at the wheel. Because only a certain % of the high potential guys realize that potential.

However the terrible weakness it has is that you very rarely can draft well for need. You spend 3 to 4 picks with the expectation that the 1 that pans out will be above average to exceptional. But drafting for need, you put yourself in a position where by design there is a greater chance your pick fails than succeeds. You offset by collecting picks. (You can see that collecting #1s is unlikely so you should expect 1 of 3 or 4 #1s to pan out.)

That said, our star RB was a 7th round pick. It probably evens out.

Bummer is that since you are taking shots in the hope of a jackpot, you never know which player will hit - so you rarely get them in position where you need to replace a starter.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Bobblehead":11pvdrk1 said:
I really thing that what has put the Hawks behind the 8 ball has been our lousy record in drafting in the higher rounds. Generally good teams will not strive with mediocre drafting, especially at the top. I just don't understand JS&PC's love of drafting potentials with baggage, there are reasons why they arn't picked. Our only saving grace has been Wilson. Gotta think we would be a sub 500 team without him.
If somebody like Dak Prescott was our QB I doubt we even make the playoffs with the 2019 Seahawks roster. Russell Wilson pulled some miracles out of thin air in '19, and he even was putting up MVP like numbers until the last quarter of the season. Even with slowing down towards the end of the season Wilson put up numbers that were comparable to that of Lamar Jacksons, the league MVP.

On offense we had a rookie WR that didn't really start putting everything together until midway. Our number one WR was decent, but not a top tier threat, he is more like a very good wide receiver which isn't a bad thing. Our TE situation after Dissley got injured was pretty bad. Hollister is an unspectacular backup that can block, and is only "eh" at catching the ball. Anything after Hollister was bad. Our RB situation was decent, but you can't count on these guys to stay healthy. Russell Wilson was the 2019 Seahawks.

kf3339

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1egyt1wl said:

We have not had a sound drafting strategy for years out of our front office. The picks have been a combination of reaches that have not panned out, or drafting down to acquire lower rounds picks in the hopes one will break out into a star player. That strategy has completely sucked.

This team is so devoid of true talent that Wilson is the only player we truly can really rely on the last few years. There are a few bright hopes, but not nearly enough to be a true contender. We have somehow been lucky enough to make the playoffs, but quickly fall apart when we meet a real quality team. That has been the problem ever since 2015. The only reason we even get that far has been Wilson.

I believe this team is in a transition away from PC and possibly even JS in the next year or two. We will probably have a new owner who will have a very different strategy for this team. What that will be is any ones guess. Just saying.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
kf3339":3hi9my4e said:
This team is so devoid of true talent that Wilson is the only player we truly can really rely on the last few years. There are a few bright hopes, but not nearly enough to be a true contender. We have somehow been lucky enough to make the playoffs, but quickly fall apart when we meet a real quality team. That has been the problem ever since 2015. The only reason we even get that far has been Wilson.

So basically we've been the Green Bay Packers. Really, you could sub the name Rodgers for Wilson and you'd get the same paragraph.

We rely totally on late draft picks and low cost free agents to fill the roster out since Wilson costs us so much. So why are we surprised the team is under-talented.

TBH i think we have talent at QB, RB, LB, DB and WR. I think our failure in the playoffs really comes from not hitting on DL and OL prospects. And the trenches are too important to miss on continuously.

John63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":ml3wqgmf said:
Bobblehead":ml3wqgmf said:
If somebody like Dak Prescott was our QB I doubt we even make the playoffs with the 2019 Seahawks roster. Russell Wilson pulled some miracles out of thin air in '19, and he even was putting up MVP like numbers until the last quarter of the season. Even with slowing down towards the end of the season Wilson put up numbers that were comparable to that of Lamar Jacksons, the league MVP.

On offense we had a rookie WR that didn't really start putting everything together until midway. Our number one WR was decent, but not a top tier threat, he is more like a very good wide receiver which isn't a bad thing. Our TE situation after Dissley got injured was pretty bad. Hollister is an unspectacular backup that can block, and is only "eh" at catching the ball. Anything after Hollister was bad. Our RB situation was decent, but you can't count on these guys to stay healthy. Russell Wilson was the 2019 Seahawks.

Corect adn gues what? He will need to be again if we want to get back to the playoffs.

Latest posts