"Icing" the Kicker

253hawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":vxniqjm3 said:
He kicked the laces.

Anybody here know for a fact, how much that effects the accuracy of kicks?
I know that no kickers want to kick the laces but how much does it effect where the ball goes?

It can, unless hit squarely. That's why kickers use soccer shoes...more surface area and almost zero tounge/lace sticking out. That's why some guys used to kick barefoot, too.

Even then, it wasn't a complete shank or anything. You can kick a basketball through from that close. I think he rushed it and it was just a poor kick and less to do with the laces. I think the location of the plant foot is interesting, though. If Walsh plants where he does normally, it's going right between the uprights. But because he planted closer, he had to bring his leg through at a shallower arc on the fly. Now he's pulling it slightly -- still not a big deal if he's on the other hash or in the middle of the field. But all those things combined made it a miss instead.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
idk, but I was glad Pete didn't have a time out left to pull another Atlanta blunder.

I was having flashbacks before the kick Sunday.

Jville

Reaction score
Jville":1q6a9c9b said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/686687634941321216[/tweet]

Sherman nearly blocked an earlier kick. I am inclined to acknowledge pressure from kick blocking scheme.

So ..... that missed field goal was a forced error. Special Teams! :th2thumbs:

As a follow up to the above post, the tweet below showed up today ......

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/687394022411784192[/tweet]

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
Cartire":mwiilgeh said:
BlueTalons":mwiilgeh said:
Hasselbeck":mwiilgeh said:
The OP does bring up an EXCELLENT point though that having no timeouts helped us avoid icing him. I've always believed that icing the kicker benefits the kicker more than the opposition. Had we called timeout and he shanked it.. oh man. Brutal.
No way we would have called a time-out in the situation anyway...there was time on the clock and had he made it, we would have needed it for a potential counter drive/kick.

This

We absolutely would have called time out... Then we would have had over a minute, not 25 seconds.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":277suzwr said:
Cartire":277suzwr said:
BlueTalons":277suzwr said:
Hasselbeck":277suzwr said:
The OP does bring up an EXCELLENT point though that having no timeouts helped us avoid icing him. I've always believed that icing the kicker benefits the kicker more than the opposition. Had we called timeout and he shanked it.. oh man. Brutal.
No way we would have called a time-out in the situation anyway...there was time on the clock and had he made it, we would have needed it for a potential counter drive/kick.

This

We absolutely would have called time out... Then we would have had over a minute, not 25 seconds.
Thus part of the reason we had no time outs...

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
BlueTalons":31kzcl5v said:
SeaToTheHawks":31kzcl5v said:
Cartire":31kzcl5v said:
BlueTalons":31kzcl5v said:

This

Thus part of the reason we had no time outs...

The original hypothetical is would we have called a timeout if we had one and had not burned it earlier. The answer is yes because of course we would have to stop the clock above a minute, not to ice the kicker. It's a dumb hypothetical to begin with because the clock wasn't stopped with us having an extra timeout, nor would that have been the case since we started using our timeouts under the two minute warning.

In your scenario of not using one you're implying we would have let the clock tick down to 25 seconds so that we would have had a timeout for our next drive. That simply isn't the case.

Cartire

Reaction score
SeaToTheHawks":1dvn2iue said:
The original hypothetical is would we have called a timeout if we had one and had not burned it earlier. The answer is yes because of course we would have to stop the clock above a minute, not to ice the kicker. It's a dumb hypothetical to begin with because the clock wasn't stopped with us having an extra timeout, nor would that have been the case since we started using our timeouts under the two minute warning.

In your scenario of not using one you're implying we would have let the clock tick down to 25 seconds so that we would have had a timeout for our next drive. That simply isn't the case.

Wow. Tangent for no reason.

The whole point is we wouldn't have used it to ice the kicker. That's it. We would have used it prior for time, yes. But if we had one regardless (in a hypothetical), we wouldn't have used it to ice him because we needed it for time.

dogorama

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3rqb31q6 said:
1) He still had Richard Sherman in the back of his head and figured with the game on the line, that he would try to time the snap and get in there again.. .

The Seahawks caused the kicker to rush the kick by exploiting a weakness they saw on film. On the previous FG Sherman missed blocking it by one inch and was close on an earlier one. The Vikings and the kicker were well aware of that. PC confirmed that "the final kick was kicked much faster than their other kicks. It was considerably faster," when asked if Sherman's almost block had an impact on the last kick of the game. http://www.seahawks.com/video/2016/01/1 ... conference

Latest posts