Ian Rapoport: Seahawks showing interest in Sidney Rice

Jville

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2znd4dwq said:
Jville":2znd4dwq said:
DavidSeven":2znd4dwq said:
Signing Rice doesn't preclude them from drafting and developing another WR. Most expected them to burn a high pick on WR even with Tate in the fold.

Show me a list of $2m receivers and I'll show a list that Rice is at or near the top of in terms of talent. Don't need him to stay healthy for 60 snaps/game for it to be worthwhile.

Fits Seattle's "take care of the football" multiple offense. Thirty snaps a game would fit right into featuring a variety of receivers designed to create match up chaos for opponents. And, thirty or so snaps a game would manage Sidney's exposure and collisions over the 2014 season.

Harvin's snap count has also historically been managed due to his play style, so I think you're going to see a lot of rotation within the group regardless of who else they bring in.
I would think the goal would be to distribute the ball to 4 and on occasions 5 rotating receivers over the course of a game. All receivers can play all out on every play opportunity. Nobody needs to pace themselves. An offensive coordinator/play caller can design optimum matchups and create maximum chaos. Of course, sharing would require a very special group of receivers.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
kearly":bt607adc said:
Hasselbeck":bt607adc said:
Not sure how wild I am about this. Rice looked like a shell of his former self last year, and I just think there are better options in the draft right now.

I'd honestly be more excited about Kenny Britt than Sidney Rice

His production was down a ton but to the eyeball test he looked fine to me. Our issues on offense with teams not respecting our WRs began shortly after Rice went down.

That said, yeah, he is recovering from a significant knee injury. I wouldn't exactly pencil him in for 1000 yards and 10 TDs next year.

I would imagine that there is a part of Rice that would love to come back and earn his (2nd) ring, having had to watch his offense from the sideline throughout the playoffs this year. He did look fine when healthy-ish last year, though his knee wasn't right from the pre-season on. A lot of folks malign Rice, but as Kearly correctly points out, our sputtering offensive coincided with two incidents: 1) Rice going down, 2) and playing against brutally tough defenses down the stretch. #2 became more of of a difficulty for us without Rice on the field to take the top off. A lot of fans may not respect Rice, but defensive backfields do.

I still think that if healthy, the Patriots will look to sign him. If Rice does come back however, I hope Russell puts more trust in him then he has in the past. The jump balls Wilson liked to throw to Tate need a new target, and Rice is worthy of that kind of trust.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
Britt is a train wreck and definitely not worth the trouble. Sidney is a much safer bet. He already knows the system and doesn't have the off field issues.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":3llh1ww3 said:
I would imagine that there is a part of Rice that would love to come back and earn his (2nd) ring, having had to watch his offense from the sideline throughout the playoffs this year. He did look fine when healthy-ish last year, though his knee wasn't right from the pre-season on. A lot of folks malign Rice, but as Kearly correctly points out, our sputtering offensive coincided with two incidents: 1) Rice going down, 2) and playing against brutally tough defenses down the stretch. #2 became more of of a difficulty for us without Rice on the field to take the top off. A lot of fans may not respect Rice, but defensive backfields do.

I still think that if healthy, the Patriots will look to sign him. If Rice does come back however, I hope Russell puts more trust in him then he has in the past. The jump balls Wilson liked to throw to Tate need a new target, and Rice is worthy of that kind of trust.

Our offense would have sputtered even with Sidney Rice out there. He had 15 catches in 7 games.. (wont count the 8th cause he got hurt early)

He's not the same Sidney Rice than we was when he first signed here. Especially last year.

I guess all I'm saying in objection to this .. is that I hope the FO doesn't feel like they can ink Rice to a 1 or 2 year deal on the cheap and not draft a WR this year because of the wealth of talent at that position. If Rice signs for a 1 year deal and they still draft a WR with one of their first two picks.. I'd be ok with that scenario.. (and I'd kind of wonder if Rice would even make the team).

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd be happy to have him back. Would like to see a 2 year $7mil. with a $3mil bonus so it'd be a $5 mil guarantee, $2mil salary each year. and we could cut him next year and save $.5mil if we needed too. This would give us some draft flexibility.

Without a decent Vet WR signing we must draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd and everybody knows it. Sign Rice and all bets are off, even if we do draft one it's not such a glaring weakness that teams will be able to bank on us drafting a WR.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1jybnjmw said:
I guess all I'm saying in objection to this .. is that I hope the FO doesn't feel like they can ink Rice to a 1 or 2 year deal on the cheap and not draft a WR this year because of the wealth of talent at that position. If Rice signs for a 1 year deal and they still draft a WR with one of their first two picks.. I'd be ok with that scenario.. (and I'd kind of wonder if Rice would even make the team).

We usually carry six WRs. We dropped to five last year because we carried a third QB for a while and then Sidney got IRed.

(1) Harvin
(2) Baldwin
(3) Kearse
(4) Rice
(5) Rookie WR
(6) Lockette (Maybe)

Plenty of room, especially if the rookie can play some special teams. You can bring the rookie along slowly as you did with Tate. However, this does throw a wrench into the Finley as Big WR theory. Maybe they're deciding between the two.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":2l4ycsp7 said:
kearly":2l4ycsp7 said:
Hasselbeck":2l4ycsp7 said:
Not sure how wild I am about this. Rice looked like a shell of his former self last year, and I just think there are better options in the draft right now.

I'd honestly be more excited about Kenny Britt than Sidney Rice

His production was down a ton but to the eyeball test he looked fine to me. Our issues on offense with teams not respecting our WRs began shortly after Rice went down.

That said, yeah, he is recovering from a significant knee injury. I wouldn't exactly pencil him in for 1000 yards and 10 TDs next year.

I hear you on that. I dont know how many times Favre just chucked it up to Rice in 09 and he somehow came down with it.

Xarbx425

Reaction score
I welcome this! I would love to see him on the same field as Harvin agian!

Seahawk Mike

Reaction score
I posted earlier on a thread months ago that I thought he would be restructured...maybe his ass just needed to be cut and then resigned for league min or something close with incentives.................

I wish I wasn't so smart...(only on this thought and only for this instance only)

Seahawksfan425

Reaction score
I would gladly bring him back on a cheaper contract. He had some great moments.

[youtube]ym_d6Jsvezs[/youtube]

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I'd love to have Sid back on a cheap deal, even if he can't stay on his feet when he catches the ball. I wonder if he'd stay healthier by actually staying up. His knees take an unnecessary battering too often.

45Hawker

Reaction score
I'd love to have him back. I just wish he would learn not to fall like an erector-set robot. Man...

Kenny Britt is intriguing. If he's coach-able, I think the 'Hawk coaches could easily turn him into a consistent, dynamic, impactful WR. Great athlete, only 25, still has a high ceiling, IMO.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Yes please! I hoped Sid would make it back.

Also, open to Britt as a look. Dude is a mess but Pete thrives on giving players extra chance, and would be low risk. Britt is young and full of talent.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":2fphzlj0 said:
Britt is a train wreck and definitely not worth the trouble. Sidney is a much safer bet. He already knows the system and doesn't have the off field issues.

Other than stealing parts of Lindsay Lohan's coats. :D

Largent80

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3fp1d3mf said:
HAWKAMANIA":3fp1d3mf said:

Other than stealing parts of Lindsay Lohan's coats. :D

Which is ironic since she stole the coats. :lol:

Latest posts