I miss Leon Washington

drdiags

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":v5klxy8o said:
:)

I didn't mean anything by it. Oh well. Yesterday I was told I have a "sense of entitlement" because I commented on the Season Ticket Holder gift. :th2thumbs:

Rough week. :thirishdrinkers:

CANHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":d3bcuc04 said:
:)

I didn't mean anything by it. Oh well. Yesterday I was told I have a "sense of entitlement" because I commented on the Season Ticket Holder gift. :th2thumbs:

You bastard... you're part of the 1%, aren't you!?

OCCUPY SOULFISH'S HOUSE!!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I'm excited to see Christine Michael returning kicks tomorrow

grizbob

Reaction score
-The Glove-":374fmldu said:

Is he even playing? Heard he had some kind of ailment yesterday :?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
grizbob":18pldml5 said:
-The Glove-":18pldml5 said:

Is he even playing? Heard he had some kind of ailment yesterday :?
Heard it on 950 around 3

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I missed Leon when I read that we first cut him. I had hoped they would find a way to keep both him and Harvin because of Harvin's injury history.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It was frustrating to see touchback after touchback last year. It takes aways such a huge part of the game.

Seafan

Reaction score
Michael and Turbin over Leon. Yes. Older guys will be phased out every year. Sad but necessary.

OP
OP
falcongoggles

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Leon is one of the (still) the greatest returners in the history of the game. I, like everyone else, am very excited for the new guys to step up and and fill his shoes. However, the odds of that happening 100% are pretty low. He was one of the best. As a result, I was lamenting the maybe 5-10 yards of field position the offense will have to overcome that Leon automatically gave us.

hawker84

Reaction score
I love me some Leon too, but we have playmakers up and down this roster. I'm sure Pete and company will fill the spots with the right guys.. Can they replace Leon? who knows, but sometimes change isn't always a bad thing. maybe a new star will emerge..

CANHawk

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1o25h7w3 said:
Leon is one of the (still) the greatest returners in the history of the game. I, like everyone else, am very excited for the new guys to step up and and fill his shoes. However, the odds of that happening 100% are pretty low. He was one of the best. As a result, I was lamenting the maybe 5-10 yards of field position the offense will have to overcome that Leon automatically gave us.

That's the trouble, it wasn't automatic anymore, not on kickoffs (where Leon made his money). It was automatically a touchback. Same number of games played, his returns went from 57 in 2010 to 27 in 2012. yes, part of that is having a much better defense that didn't give up as many TD's, but another huge part was him having to take a knee most of the time.

With bringing in Harvin, who could be just as good as Leon, there was no point in burning a roster spot and saying goodbye to a young stud RB with potential (and nobody had any reason to believe Harvin would get hurt). Not for 20-something returns a year. Dude was making a ton of cheddar and didn't really give us a whole helluva lot in return (because he didn't have many opportunities to make returns).

We were lucky to have him when we had him, but he didn't make any sense anymore. not for $3m/yr when the the only thing he did was return kicks.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I honestly don't know how anyone can miss the guy when we haven't played any games yet. We have no idea if there is suddenly a hole on the team that didn't get filled.

Too early to miss him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I can't believe somebody would keep Spencer Ware over Leon. Spencer Ware? What has Spencer done in the NFL to warrant this? He's struggling and may not even be a part of the 53 man roster. Derrick Coleman is ahead of him on the depth chart. Who's Derrick Coleman? Having Harvin lessened the loss of Leon but now that Harvin is not there (at least for most of this year), there is a bigger concern of what the impact is to ST. Leon was stud on ST, that's hard to replace. Even with the crazy rules on kickoffs, Leon made the most of it. Patriots are a lucky team to have signed him.

TaterHawk

Reaction score
At camp I saw a lot of punts returned by Christine Michael and Tate. I hope they don't use Tate. His job is not really expendable now. But PC tends to use a lot of high value starters on special teams. I'll bet we see Michael doing it this evening

Tical21

Reaction score
The thing about Leon that you just don't much out of returners is that he was clutch. When there was a stagnant game, or a game where we needed a big return, he made game-changing plays. I know, it is pretty seldom where a big return isn't a game-changing play, but he just had a knack for timing.

I also believe he was underused out of the backfield. The one season here that he got the ball fairly consistently, he ran for over 5 YPC.

Say it is too early or whatever, but I miss him. I was a huge fan, even in his Jets days. I'm sure whoever we put back there will do fine, but I have to think his loss will rear its head on the scoreboard a little at some point.

GOSeahawks

Reaction score
Leon was a high quality player, teammate and example. I hope he has a great year in spite of loosing him.

CANHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":34l309mb said:
I can't believe somebody would keep Spencer Ware over Leon. Spencer Ware? What has Spencer done in the NFL to warrant this? He's struggling and may not even be a part of the 53 man roster. Derrick Coleman is ahead of him on the depth chart. Who's Derrick Coleman? Having Harvin lessened the loss of Leon but now that Harvin is not there (at least for most of this year), there is a bigger concern of what the impact is to ST. Leon was stud on ST, that's hard to replace. Even with the crazy rules on kickoffs, Leon made the most of it. Patriots are a lucky team to have signed him.

Well, first off... pre season depth charts mean precisely dick all. Second, Harvin made Leon redundant. Full stop. 3rd, Leon sucked as a running back. Face it, he does. He couldn't beat Justin Forsett on the depth chart for crap sake (the regular season one).

I agree with you that ditching Leon in favor of Spencer Ware or Derrick Coleman is hella stupid, but not when you have Percy fricken Harvin in place to return kicks. Mike Rob turned 30 this year and is in the final year of his contract. I'm not expecting Mike to be crazy expensive, but remember we're heading into a time where we need to re-sign Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Russell Okung, Golden Tate and a slew of others PLUS having RW's re-up on the horizon, MRob's $3m/per contract might not get done in favor of Ware's $600k and $2.4m of extra cap space. Fullbacks seem to take a little while to "get it", so a year of development for young Mr. Ware might see a somewhat seamless transition from MRob to Ware as FB.

As I said, without Harvin in the fold none of it makes sense, but we DO have Harvin and at the time had no reason to believe he would miss any time. Keeping Leon around would just be an extra body kicking around camp (and dead men walking can't be good for morale) AND it would have severely limited Leon's ability to have a successful year somewhere else. P&J knew what was up, so they did what was best for everyone and let Leon go. That's what good franchises do.

themunn

Reaction score
hawkfan68":etdqbgtf said:

Although I don't think anybody is suggesting that, this is the kind of thing we see written all the time on .net, people suggesting Thurmond should be kept over Browner is the perfect example, but also people suggesting Harper could replace Rice etc (albeit in years to come).

It's absolute craziness to suggest given these players have little to no NFL experience, but the fans here seem to always be about the next big thing. I think landing Chancellor and Sherman in successive 5th rounds has skewed people's perceptions a little