I miss it so much

Smellyman

Reaction score
Fast Russ has turned into a potato.

[youtube]OiV2L_ilK-c[/youtube]

Optimus25

Reaction score
Is it just the age? I mean i just can't remember the last time he actually did the wide arc scramble drill that used to be regular every 3 games.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Worst run play of the game was the RO to Carson right into the unblocked DE for a 2 yard loss. Why run that? It was absolutely swallowed up. When was the last time Russ was a threat to keep on the RO?

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":nth6tgsy said:
Worst run play of the game was the RO to Carson right into the unblocked DE for a 2 yard loss. Why run that? It was absolutely swallowed up. When was the last time Russ was a threat to keep on the RO?

I remember that play. If he'd kept it, there was a lot of room to run.

OP
OP
Smellyman

Smellyman

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":3tbjy1en said:

Drives me nuts. Nobody has honored the keep in two years

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He is not in his prime anymore when it comes to running.
I said this was going to happen and got crap for it.
I actually was surprised on a few runs by him this season
but they don't happen enough so maybe D's are no longer
respecting that ability..I do know you can't rely on it anymore,
the legs go first as time goes along.
I miss it too and that was my big concern with extending him
for so long because running opens his passing.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Smellyman":1hl9oirh said:
Fast Russ has turned into a potato.

[youtube]OiV2L_ilK-c[/youtube]
He looks very slow compared to those highlights. I don’t think he’s much the running threat anymore.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2090mcme said:

Wasn't a RO. If you watch the highlight, he never looks at a defender after the ball is snapped. Just watches himself put the ball into Carson's hands.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
JGreen79":2v1oa0rn said:
Grahamhawker":2v1oa0rn said:

Wasn't a RO. If you watch the highlight, he never looks at a defender after the ball is snapped. Just watches himself put the ball into Carson's hands.

Maybe. After watching the replay I could only assume it was a badly executed RO. So it was planned to run the hand off straight into the unblocked DE? It certainly looked as if they left him unblocked intentionally.

TypeSly

Reaction score
I don't mond that he doesn't scramble so much anymore, and that he slides a lot more when he does run. In the end, we NEED him on the field. No other organization has less used backup QB's in the league than Seattle in the last decade. It would be a nightmare to see a backup QB start a game.

Half the Seashawks fans don't even know who our backups are.

groundchucklives

Reaction score
^^^yeah I was kinda thinking the same thing. he honestly looks a bit chunkier to me now than he did when he first entered the league.....and that combined with not being as young, will definitely slow the wheels down a bit.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Extra pounds always show up more when you are shorter. He’s sub-6 feet so yeah. As for his speed, I’ve even said he’s lost a step or two since at least 2017. I don’t fault the man, it’s age and happens to every single player. As he transitions into the final years of his career (2020-2030?) he will have to rely more on his QB acumen and experience rather than raw physical talent. And that goes for every QB. And I have seen that transition already occurring in the past couple years.

Russ is on his way to a Hall of Fame career when all is said and done. Even after a stinker like this game, most would agree.

The key is to keep developing, keep improving, never settle, never get complacent and I truly can’t think of someone more capable of those things than Russ.