Howard Mudd 3 articles on Offensive Lines

ivotuk

Reaction score
Former All-Decade lineman Howard Mudd gives slight defense of Seahawks offensive line future, per ESPN. nse of Seahawks o-line

Get them at home for a couple games where they can get some continuity and it will help," Mudd told Sando. "You go on the road, you're using a silent count, you haven't been together but a couple weeks, it's tough."

Carroll mentioned on Monday having communication errors and targeting issues among others things that caused his line's bad performance.

He (Mudd) thinks right tackle Germain Ifedi has the talent to elevate into the top 20 percent among the NFL's 64 starting tackles once he gains experience. He thinks center Justin Britt is already among the top six or seven centers, and he thinks Rees Odhiambo, the emergency starter at left tackle, is already better than Fant was last season.

http://sea.247sports.com/Bolt/All-Decad ... -107368199

Dave Boling: Ex-Seahawks coach Howard Mudd takes you inside the offensive line

Toughness for offensive linemen, Mudd said, is not about how much you can dish out, but how much you can take.

Circumstances, then, force them to play as a unit. As Jeff Saturday said, “We walk in, and we are all for one.”

Their collaboration is a part of what should be considered a flawed business model: If only one of the five fails, then they all look bad. Yet if all five succeed, it’s the running back who is considered the star.

Boselli, a tackle, explained the sense of inequity.

“I can kick a guy’s butt for 64 snaps and if (the defender) makes one play out of 65, he’ll get up and dance around and make a fool of himself,” Boselli said. “If you’re a defensive lineman and you get one sack a game, you’re making $10 million and going to (the Pro Bowl) every year.”

The unity of the great offensive lines, Mudd said, is the shared bond of hard work and selflessness, but also of mutual trust. They communicate through what he describes as an aboriginal language that is often nonverbal, and not used by anybody else on the team.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/sp ... 03732.html

Former Browns and long-time NFL coach Howard Mudd: Offensive line play in the NFL is poor

Mudd was not only Walter Jones’ first position coach with the Seattle Seahawks, he touted the left tackle to his bosses as better than Orlando Pace, the first overall pick in that 1997 draft. The Seahawks took Jones sixth overall.

When Jones was voted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2014, Mudd drove his motorcycle from Arizona to Canton to witness the induction ceremony. That’s Howard Mudd.

Jones easily was the best offensive lineman Mudd coached. But Mudd took immense pride in molding five ordinary players into tightly-knit units that played greater than the sum of their parts.

“What I really wanted to do,” Mudd said of writing his book, “is talk about the offensive line, what we do. But it isn’t just what we do but also who we are as people and teammates. That dynamic that the offensive line has when they play well together.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/post ... fl-is-poor

Jville

Reaction score
Timely consolidation of Howard Mudd articles. Thanks for posting.

This offensive line reality is not going away.

IMO, as the league kicks the can down the road, the perfect storm is taking shape on the horizon.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Jville":2h42qb59 said:
Timely consolidation of Howard Mudd articles. Thanks for posting.

This offensive line reality is not going away.

IMO, as the league kicks the can down the road, the perfect storm is taking shape on the horizon.

I can see the players conceding practice time for more guaranteed money in the next CBA fight. I have a feeling the owners are going to point to this last CBA's results are a reason for more team control of workouts. At a bare minimum, linemen need to go back to the old rules regarding offseason hitting.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for posting that ivotuk.

We all need to be patient and not overreact I I admit I did last Sunday..

cymatica

Reaction score
Can we hire someone like that as a consultant

sdog1981

Reaction score
cymatica":33ywqbrp said:
Can we hire someone like that as a consultant

Howard Mudd still lives next to hold Seahawks HQ in Kirkland.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Coach Cable should invite him over to Renton for for a chat to seek some help.

chris98251

Reaction score
jammerhawk":j4sl3ltz said:
Coach Cable should invite him over to Renton for for a chat to seek some help.

Probably already has, gurus like Mudd and former coaches frequent the Seahawks uncelebrated a lot, more then likely he said Fire Bevell. :)

Latest posts