Holy Crap: Browns nearly traded with 49ers for Jim Harbaugh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":g4xrji7s said:
-The Glove-":g4xrji7s said:
Scottemojo":g4xrji7s said:
Isn't Matt Maiaco, or however you spell it, a bay area Niner guy? He is reporting it as fact as well.

Also Tim Kawakami (so?) San Jose Mercury writer

Nah, Matt Maiocco is just writing about the other reporting. He hasn't added anything original to the mix or weighed in/confirmed anything with his own sources. Same story with Kawakami, who is on vacation right now.

FWIW if Maiocco does say something based off his own reporting I'd believe it. He's a very good reporter. Kawakami not so much.

As a general rule for 9ers reporters --

Worth listening to:

Maiocco
Barrows
Branch

Not worth listening to:

Grant Cohn
Bill Williamson
Kawakami (doesn't even really count as he covers the Warriors, but has been doing Bay Area sports since the mid 90s at least).

Blah:

Cam Inman

Correct. I like Inman more than you do, but also add Grants dad Lowell Cohn as "never pay attention to under any circumstance".

drdiags

Reaction score
Cleveland was a mess. No wonder the owner blew out the heads of the organization. The mysterious candidates looking to be the HC at Wisconsin and Jim Harbaugh. The fluid nature of various GMs based on which HC they hired and half wanting to interview Schiano and the other half not. I hope the owner got all the poison out when he chopped off the head. That and he isn't serving time for some kick-back scam.

If Jim H walks in a few years, sounds like there are strong candidates within the organization. I would just keep an eye on Baalke to see how his draft picks start blossoming. Reid was a great pick and Lattimore and the other red-shirt rookies from last year will start replacing the Frank Gore and Justin Smith's of the team. Maybe the team isn't as dependent on the HC as many may think? Still, this is an interesting twist. Sort of like when the ugliness of the Seahawks FO started coming to light with Whitsett/Holmgren followed later by Holmgren/Ruskell. Ugly times those were.

morgulon1

Reaction score
kearly":qhn0n4li said:
Harbaugh's history of never staying in one place very long, his abrasive nature, his difficult relationship with his GM, the fact that the best team in the NFL is a threat in the division, the fact that there is some friction in contract negotiations... it makes a lot of sense to me that he'd want to leave. Jim Harbaugh reminds me a lot of Lou Pinella. No doubt brilliant at what he did and famous for his outbursts of emotion, but he never stayed anywhere too long and when the Mariners sensed a rising tide from the rest of their division, Pinella wanted out. Strained relations with his FO expedited his exit. Seeing a lot of the same things here.

As much as I enjoy having Seattle beat the 49ers and seeing Harbaugh's GIFable face twist and scowl, even an RG3 trade type draft haul would probably not counterbalance the loss of Harbaugh for SF. Every facet of that team works because of what he does as coach. In particular, I could see QB becoming a big problem for SF if Harbaugh leaves. If Harbaugh left, it would be the single best thing to happen to Seahawks fans since PC/JS were hired.

He didn't get traded, but here were some of the positives I took from this:

-If story is true, then the Browns nearly succeeded. That might embolden teams looking for coaches next offseason to make another run at Harbaugh. If story is true, then Harbaugh wants a fresh start. I actually can't say I blame him.

-Pretty much impossible to deny tension between Harbaugh and Baalke now. We've seen firsthand how that worked in Seattle with Ruskell and Holmgren. Seattle cut promising future stars like Michael Bennett and Jason Babin because of HC/FO disputes. Wouldn't be surprised if we see the same in SF. (Baalke is not the greatest GM anyway, but Harbaugh truly is a stud of a coach. Baalke really needs to know his place.)

-Could SF be dumb enough to let Harbaugh hit FA in a couple years? Why play hardball? Harbaugh truly is the best coach in the NFL, or at least in the discussion. He deserves to be paid like it, without hesitation. It's not like his salary counts against the cap. It's mind-numbingly stupid that he wasn't given the NFL's top contract instantly without blinking. Why insult your coach to save pennies on the dollar? This makes no sense at all, unless the powers that be are just plain incompetent, OR, they are concerned about Harbaugh reciprocating the long term commitment to the 49ers.

-My biggest fear about Harbaugh was his youth. I was afraid of him being in SF for 20+ years and dominating the division after Pete Carroll retires. That scenario where Harbaugh becomes the longest tenured HC in modern NFL history is starting to look a lot less likely.

Definitely interesting for sure. It appears that a power struggle has reared its ugly head and either Harbaugh or Baalke will be gone.
It cant stay the way it is. Santa Clara does one of two things:

1. They fire Baalke and give Harbaugh gm duties
2. They fire or trade Harbaugh

As much as I hate the Niners, they have a hell of a coach. We NEED the Niners to be good and push us every year. Ali needed Frazier, Yankees need the Red Sox, Wellington needed Napoleon ( Did I take this too far? )

I want the Niners to be very good. I think they definitely push the Seahawks and maybe vice versa. Losing Harbaugh would
set them back IMHO.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Harbafreak needs to stay in SF. If the family has to choose they need to out Baalke and get a GM that works for/with the coach and not himself.

Harbs might be a freak, but he did what Nolan and Sing could not do. He got the most out of that talent they stockpiled in Willis, Gore, Crabtree, Alex Smith, VD and guys like Bowman. Every crap season the Niners had they were drafting high in the first round and underachieving. He made them a 13-3 team, got a young QB and sparked it.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1vu5o72r said:
I can't understand why anyone could possibly think this guy is hard to work with, or that he might not get along with people in the workplace.

4JCINXy

LMAO. No wonder the fans have gone completely bat-shit levels of whining. Harbs looks like those 49er reaction videos to "The Tip".

Rocket

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":33il3ybt said:
I can't understand why anyone could possibly think this guy is hard to work with, or that he might not get along with people in the workplace.

4JCINXy

R word. Clearly R word.

drdiags

Reaction score
Just looks like a baseball manager. Leo "The Lip" Durocher or even Lou Pinella. Hell, Woddy Hayes slugged a player from the opposing team. The man has passion. We have Mr. Happy, the rivals have Mr. Vesuvius. It's all good. :stirthepot:

Happy

Reaction score
Is it wrong that I keep checking in on this thread because it makes me feel all warm and happy?

It's like I'm living in an alternate reality where everything is perfect! Offseason turmoil for the bitter rival!

*I got nothing against harbie as a person, don't know the man from Adam. However this situation is delicious!

ChrisB Bacon

Reaction score
This is probably the best way for this to play out for us. I don't think there was ever a great chance Harbaugh was packing to leave for Cleveland, but the dysfunction in the Bay Area is coming out.

IF this did go through, SF would have been STOCKED with draft picks (way more than what STL got for the RG3 deal), and whoever the new coach they got/promoted from within would be walking into a dream scenario. Top 5 team in the league with a ton of high draft picks to go with it.

But if this just continues to progress, and Harbaugh ultimately leaves SF, they're left without their top notch coach and they get nothing to show for it. Best of both worlds for us.

And to the guy that said we need the Niners to be good as they help us get better: I agree with you that we need to be constantly pushed by rivals, but those rivals could very easily be STL and Arizona as early as next year. Both of them look like they're right on the brink of becoming contenders (Arizona more so than STL at this point). I wouldn't mind having SF drop down to mediocrity for the next 5-10 years; we could use an easy divisional opponent.

nepahawk

Reaction score
If this was true, what about Cleveland?
They fire a coach after one season, hire replacement and he doesn't even get to coach one game!
Quinn has to be thankful the Browns didn't wait for him!

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":2dcm4to3 said:
I'm about 90% certain Harbaugh is about to become the highest paid coach in the NFL...in SF.

... for about a week until Carroll signs his contract extension in Seattle.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":rdcc8mhc said:
Marvin49":rdcc8mhc said:
I'm about 90% certain Harbaugh is about to become the highest paid coach in the NFL...in SF.

... for about a week until Carroll signs his contract extension in Seattle.

Yep. I'd guess he probably has another five year contract in him. Plus the two years he has let on this one that would take him to 69 y/o.

He's so (relatively) young looking I forget how old he is. It puts him being a 9/11 truther and the other zany stuff in perspective (meaning, its put in a more positive light, IMO: he's great at what he's great at but save for that is a crazy old coot).

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2rem65c0 said:
He knows that the niners are beginning to decline and wants an "up-and-comer" with high draft selections where he would have more say.
This. Obviously he is only interested in taking over a team with all the talent in place necessary to win (Hardouche says "thanks Singletary"). Looks to me like he doesn't have much confidence in his ability to build a team. He sees that the Brownies already have the defense in place. Pussy. Probably good for the Hawks though cuz he will continue to oversee the erosion of the Whiners.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think the festering has been going on and the bubble is going to burst in S.F. PFT artical today states that the 49ers offices are high stress and full of tension with Jimmie there, that he is high maintenance and hard to work with.

Well if that be the case do you trade his rights or keep the stress? he has 2 yrs left on his contract.

They have two issues now.

One if they don't extend him he feels insulted and becomes a bigger problem, may be off camera and behind closed doors but it will be there. You then have a successful team playing for a coach with lame duck status so to speak on him. Not hard to see where that can go.

Two, you extend him, he may want more control, the other front office people will be taking a back seat to a large part to him, based on tensions already that could lead to others leaving and looking to get out. You break what was working for one persons ego.

All this will fester to a blow up of some sort.

Again I see Dallas and Jerry looking at this and saying GOOD GOOOOOOD.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3lv8gq1i said:
CurryStopstheRuns":3lv8gq1i said:
He knows that the niners are beginning to decline and wants an "up-and-comer" with high draft selections where he would have more say.
This. Obviously he is only interested in taking over a team with all the talent in place necessary to win (Hardouche says "thanks Singletary"). Looks to me like he doesn't have much confidence in his ability to build a team. He sees that the Brownies already have the defense in place. Pussy. Probably good for the Hawks though cuz he will continue to oversee the erosion of the Whiners.

You guys are funny sometimes! :D

It cracks me up how so many people her view the 49ers as "in decline" and portray Harbaugh as being in desparate need to jump off the sinking ship to go to...wait for it...Cleveland.

Come on. That's a bit of a stretch. 12-4. NFCCG three years in a row. 26 year old dynamic QB. One of if not THE best pass rusher in the game who is 24. New stadium with tons of new revenue about to stream in. 13 mil in cap space BEFORE they let Rogers walk and save another 5 or so. One of the best defenses in the NFL who will likely have ONE starter in his 30s next year. 6 picks in the first 3 rounds AND they get the redshirted Marcus Lattimore and Tank Carradine this year. Yup. Really sound like the ship is sinking there. Frank and Justin are getting older, but it's not like they haven't been signing and drafting their replacement for a few years now and will continue to do so with their likely 12 picks this year.

Compare that to the Browns who were 4-12, have a good young defense but WOULD NOT have high draft picks because they would belong to SF in a trade for Harbaugh. Plus, you have to live in Cleveland.

I get why peeps want this to be true. On some level I don't doubt that there were conversation. Banner and Lombardi needed to swing for the fences to save their jobs. It didn't happen though. If the 49ers wanted him gone, he'd be gone. If the Brown were willing to give up the farm, he'd be in Cleveland. The fact of the matter though is that the trade didn't happen.

Is there friction in front office? Probably. Does Harbaugh rub some people the wrong way, absolutely. Is he a long term 20 year coach in SF? Most likely not.

Painting this though as Harbaugh sees his team declining and want to move to another up and comer is beyond ludicrous.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":1c08ibmt said:
I think the festering has been going on and the bubble is going to burst in S.F. PFT artical today states that the 49ers offices are high stress and full of tension with Jimmie there, that he is high maintenance and hard to work with.

Well if that be the case do you trade his rights or keep the stress? he has 2 yrs left on his contract.

One if they don't extend him he feels insulted and becomes a bigger problem, may be off camera and behind closed doors but it will be there. You then have a successful team playing for a coach with lame duck status so to speak on him. Not hard to see where that can go.

Two, you extend him, he may want more control, the other front office people will be taking a back seat to a large part to him, based on tensions already that could lead to others leaving and looking to get out. You break what was working for one persons ego.

Again I see Dallas and Jerry looking at this and saying GOOD GOOOOOODL.

He'll get an extension. That was going to happen regardless. As for power, we'll just have to see.

As for Jerry, minus a kings ransom he's going to have to wait 2 years and that's only if Harbaugh doesn't get extended.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
chris98251":9wq7bzyg said:

Pshaw! Completely unsubstantiated rumor. No way anyone believes that.

HarboDrums.gif

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":ygmjugys said:
chris98251":ygmjugys said:

Pshaw! Completely unsubstantiated rumor. No way anyone believes that.

HarboDrums.gif
I love that GIF, d-Baugh would make a hell of a drummer!

Marvin = whiner's version of "Baghdad Bob".
"Nothing to see here, no those are not American tanks in the background, everything in niner land is peachy keen!"

chris98251

Reaction score
Marvin49":2lkf68zo said:
chris98251":2lkf68zo said:

Again I see Dallas and Jerry looking at this and saying GOOD GOOOOOODL.

He'll get an extension. That was going to happen regardless. As for power, we'll just have to see.

As for Jerry, minus a kings ransom he's going to have to wait 2 years and that's only if Harbaugh doesn't get extended.

If there is a team willing to buyout his contract to get him it's Dallas, Jerry has done it before for players, they are now becoming a league joke as well. Garrett has not been extended, lots of things aligning there for a big splash. They will look there or here, Quinn could still be on their radar or Bevell as well. Romo needs someone that can work to his strength.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
chris98251":bhilatxh said:
If there is a team willing to buyout his contract to get him it's Dallas, Jerry has done it before for players, they are now becoming a league joke as well. Garrett has not been extended, lots of things aligning there for a big splash. They will look there or here, Quinn could still be on their radar or Bevell as well. Romo needs someone that can work to his strength.

Well, Harbaugh does have a lot of experience blowing the chance to win in the waning seconds of the game, so he'd be a good mentor for Romo there.

Status
Not open for further replies.