nitticanuck

Reaction score
I have identified the following needs and how they may be filled

Offense. Left Gaurd - draft in first four rounds
Right tackle - first two rounds
OL depth - sign a backup vet

5th receiver - draft first three rounds receiver with size

Finley? The right price yes

Defence DL - gap filler to replace Bryant. Combo between Jesse Williams and a vet pickup
DE - benson mayowa to replace Clemens he was a beast last preseason. Draft someone in later rounds to fill mayowa backup role
DE - McDonald to be filled by Scruggs return

OLB- OBS. Possibly return or filled by Toomer and also draft LB middle of draft

Corner. Thurmond out more minutes to lane and simon also draft another corner mid round
FS - backup. Maragos gone draft one and add a vet to the competition

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
That sounds about right, but I'm not sure LG is as big a need. I think Carpenter will be playing his best ball yet at a lighter 325lbs and Bowie is also capable of playing there (started against the NO playoff game).

If I remember correctly, O'Brian Schofield played LEO, no? It was early in the season, but I'm pretty sure he did. That would be two DEs lost in the off-season unless we re-sign him. It might be a bit risky to put all that faith into Mayowa based on a preseason.

And I keep forgetting about Scruggs! I'm hopeful for that dude.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
This is a pretty good breakdown. There's been a lot of discussion of this topic on THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM. I too am new here, and it took me a while before I found that board: viewforum.php?f=18

OT/DE/WR appear to be the most immediate needs . . . but at the end of the day, Carroll/Schneider will simply draft the best available player remaining at the top of their board.

At LG, there's going to be a great competition between Carpenter (the former First Rounder) and Bailey (the undrafted rookie). And they have Lemuel Jeanpierre, as well as Jared Smith, Greg Van Roten, and Steve Schilling, for depth.

OT is the somewhat more glaring need. If Michael Bowie is the uncontested starter at RT, there isn't a lot of depth behind him.

With the signing of Rice, the WR position looks fairly strong with Harvin, Baldwin, and Kearse as the proven players being pushed by unproven Ricardo Lockette and CFL rookie of the year Chris Matthews.

TE also looks fairly loaded with Miller, rookie Willson, and the return of McCoy.

The starting defensive front line looks strong with Bennett, Avril, Mebane, and McDaniel. Now it's just about finding depth and rotation players from a large group of unproven but talented young linemen: Hill, Scruggs, Mayowa, Brooks, Williams, etc.

A true blocking FB to replace Michael Robinson would be a huge bonus.

CB/FS/LB all need depth to eventually replace players who the Seahawks won't be able to afford to re-sign.

All in all, the Seahawks are in excellent shape entering this draft. IMO, the only immediate contributor they absolutely need is at OT, preferably someone capable of excelling on both the right and left side in the event that Okung gets hurt again. A fifth WR who can step in and contribute as a rookie would be a bonus. And the same could be said for either a LEO or a five technique/three technique, who would give the coaches more options and versatility. The rest of the draft will probably be about filling future needs before they occur at WLB, SLB, perhaps MLB, nickel back/CB opposite Sherman, and safety depth.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
When I saw the title, I thought this was going to the shack, then I realized it wasn't a craigslist ad.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I want our first two picks to be O-Line, then concentrate on WR's and D-Line............and maybe a LB in the 4th or 5th.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":23vwo97k said:
I want our first two picks to be O-Line, then concentrate on WR's and D-Line............and maybe a LB in the 4th or 5th.

I don't want that- The last time that happened we got underwhelming results to say the least. I expect a WR & OT to be taken with our first 2 picks. Then 4-7 picks will be BPA.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3odl6c4c said:
Sgt. Largent":3odl6c4c said:

I don't want that- The last time that happened we got underwhelming results to say the least. I expect a WR & OT to be taken with our first 2 picks. Then 4-7 picks will be BPA.

Which time? When we drafted an all pro center in the 2nd round, or when we drafted an all pro LT in the first round?

I assume you're speaking of Carp, who I admit was a reach. But that doesn't mean you quit trying to draft O-Lineman, who we desperately need.