Highschool kid tries to diss DK

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I've had the same impression - that Metcalf and Ramsey alternated "winning" their specific matchup when they were matched up.

Because Metcalf and Ramsey are good at provoking each other, the kid thought he'd get under Metcalf's skin with that.

As Metcalf comes over to ask asks what the kid said, Metcalf looks like he didn't like hearing what he heard, suggesting the kid may have been right to some extent about getting under his skin, but Metcalf is well under control. When the kid repeats it, Metcalf looks fully in control as he asks why the kid said it. When the kid replies that it's because of film, Metcalf is still pretty well under control, but he still asks the kid "who are you?" The other kids around magnify the burn with "oooooo" and repetition of what Metcalf said.

What's really interesting to me is that part at the end. I have to wonder, given how many times we've seen Metcalf do something he came to wish he hadn't, if he might have rrecognized his own impulse-control issues in the dumbass kid who decided to open his big fat mouth at a successful NFL receiver. I even wonder if he knows that within days, the kid is going to be famous all over the country as a dumbass with a big mouth, and if Metcalf wishes a little he hadn't hit the kid with that ninetieth-degree burn.
Metcalf asks the kid his name, which may be a way to try to undo the scorching he just delivered with "who are you," but if it was, it was about 0% effective, because that's just the kind of burn that has the potential to get attention from an extremely broad audience on the internet. In any case, Metcalf continues and asks if the kid plays football. The kid says he does, and Metcalf appears 100% sincere when he says "good luck to you, brother." He knows what it's like to be a kid with impulse-control issues, and he knows how hard it is to make it in football. I think he sincerely hopes good things will happen for the kid.
This analysis of the situation is pretty damn spot on!

High school kids can get riled up and say dumb things when they are around peers and they happen to be in the presence of an NFL star!

Kudos to DK for not getting egged on and further engaging in a non productive, could be, volatile, conversation with a high school student, that probably just wanted attention as an insecure high school kid.

I can’t even blame the current generation of kids that feel they can say and do whatever they want, to anyone, much less an NFL star, because for the most part most kids at this age, have uncontrollable thoughts that are further fueled by bad friends encouragement. And that’s always been there. You remember when you were 13-25 years old, sometimes you feel invincible!

But DK handled this situation rather smoothly and you can tell although DK might have been a little annoyed with the kid, DK, pretty much shut the kid down, quickly.

And the kids friends will never forget how DK shut him down and at the same time, hopes, the kid betters himself…

Rat

Reaction score
Eh, we all laughed at Marshawn randomly telling Niners fans "**** you". Trash talk is ubiquitous in sports and teenagers are immature by nature. Good on DK for not escalating the situation though.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
DK has got the best of Ramsey a few times but, overall, Ramsey is ahead on the 1 v 1’s.
Not sure what your criteria is here. They've gone head to head 9 times from 2019 through 2022 and in those 9 games Metcalf is:
2/44 1 TD
6/78
2/28
6/59
5/96 2 TD
5/98 2 TD
6/52
8/127 1 TD
3/40

They're not matched up on every play. But these numbers would seem to suggest that Metcalf has held his own. Curious how you came to your conclusion of Ramsey is ahead of Metcalf on 1 v 1's?

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Eh, we all laughed at Marshawn randomly telling Niners fans "**** you". Trash talk is ubiquitous in sports and teenagers are immature by nature. Good on DK for not escalating the situation though.
Teenagers trash talking other teenagers is fine. Teenagers trash talking adults, let alone adults who are at the top of their profession and likely lightyears away in terms of talent and skill is completely different.

Rat

Reaction score
Teenagers trash talking other teenagers is fine. Teenagers trash talking adults, let alone adults who are at the top of their profession and likely lightyears away in terms of talent and skill is completely different.
If that same teenager had told Jalen Ramsey that DK is his dad, everyone would be talking about how awesome that kid is.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I didn't think he was being significantly rude. It sounded more like good-natured sports banter. DK appeared to recognize that, and handled it appropriately. It was really nothing.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
If that same teenager had told Jalen Ramsey that DK is his dad, everyone would be talking about how awesome that kid is.
Well I wouldn’t be one of them.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Kid: I said Jalen Ramsey's your dad.
DK: Why you say that?
Kid: The film.
DK: And who are you?
Crowd laughs and jeers.
DK: You play?
Kid: Yeah.
DK: Good luck.
I would have told the kid to hurry home because his dads probably have dinner ready for him. I'm not as mature as DK. Nope.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I didn't think he was being significantly rude. It sounded more like good-natured sports banter. DK appeared to recognize that, and handled it appropriately. It was really nothing.
I think it’s an indication of how vastly different our culture is today than it was just 50 years ago. When I was younger we wouldn’t disrespect athletes that play for other teams we would revere them, respect them and hope they come play for our team. Now we have social media sites like Reddit where people spend time caustically criticizing everyone and everything. Inevitably it spills into their lives and personal interactions and now we have generations growing up ensconced in hyper tribalism with all things. Our schools, our teams, our towns, our states and our politics.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I've heard countless stories of athletes being jerks to fans way back in the day, though. For no good reason.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Different scenario, but I don't agree with that either. Both behaviors are toxic.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I've heard countless stories of athletes being jerks to fans way back in the day, though. For no good reason.
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones then. Every athlete, I have met in person, has been nothing but cordial with me. My favorite experience was, after a SuperSonics game in the early 90s, meeting Michael Cage. Nicest guy, he invited us to hang out with him and some of the players afterwards. Unfortunately, I was not driving and the friend I was with didn't want to go. So missed out but still I remember it to this day.