Hawkblogger’s negative take on training camp

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Just posting this here to give a counterpoint to the positivity I normally focus on.

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2018/07/seah ... -27th.html

I don’t really agree with his mostly nihilistic take. I think we have a solid foundation at cornerback with Griffin, Maxwell, and Coleman. Tre Flowers is a tremendous athlete and developmental prospect at that position.

We have a couple rookie DEs in Green and Martin who are both excellent athletes. Martin looks like a very promising LEO. Clark, Jordan, and Smith are all good athletes on the outside.

This should be the best LB corps we have ever had.

I do agree with him that Penny needs another off-season to get stronger. But Carson and Prosise have been getting rave reviews.

Jville

Reaction score
It's only an opinion. I thought his sub title "Talent drop is noticeable" wording could have been more accurately stated as ...... Talent familiarity drop is noticeable.

Hawkblogger's text suggest he is still grieving over departed brand names. He'll catch up with current events once he gets over his grieving and becomes more familiar with emerging and developing players.

Seymour

Reaction score
I didn't see that as overly negative. In fact most of it is stating the obvious without even watching. That said, he can get a bit EMO at times about things that bother him. He went off the charts when Wilson won the job over Flynn just for starters.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
“Rashaad Penny did not stand out as an athlete. He is not especially big or fast or laterally quick. Where the guys mentioned above demonstrated traits that really demand attention, Penny was lacking.”

adeltaY

Reaction score
Jville":pplaaids said:
It's only an opinion. I thought his sub title "Talent drop is noticeable" wording could have been more accurately stated as ...... Talent familiarity drop is noticeable.

Hawkblogger's text suggest he is still grieving over departed brand names. He'll catch up with current events once he gets over his grieving and becomes more familiar with emerging and developing players.

He specifically said that the guys we have now are don't jump out as great athletes whereas even in 2011 camp he could see the LoB guys were special. He even quoted his notes from that year, it's not something he came up with now given hindsight bias. I'm sad to hear this honestly.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3he4pmtg said:
“Rashaad Penny did not stand out as an athlete. He is not especially big or fast or laterally quick. Where the guys mentioned above demonstrated traits that really demand attention, Penny was lacking.”

Everything he said he isn't is what he was drafted for, I t sounds like he is thinking a lot and trying to absorb it all to me, when you thinking your not letting your natural ability show by just doing it.

pcbball12

Reaction score
adeltaY":3cy2vb4w said:
Jville":3cy2vb4w said:

He specifically said that the guys we have now are don't jump out as great athletes whereas even in 2011 camp he could see the LoB guys were special. He even quoted his notes from that year, it's not something he came up with now given hindsight bias. I'm sad to hear this honestly.
Hawk blogger is a drama queen. I was there the same day he was. I have been going to training camps since 2012. This year does not seem any more void of talent than normal...just a lot of unproven guys and question marks. This years running backs and receivers are by far the most talented groups we’ve had in my opinion, from top to bottom. Impossible to tell OL DL from non padded practices, but OL should be notably better than the last two years. It’s obviously different missing guys like sherm, Earl, and Kam...but they have plenty of talent. He is just being a drama queen about losing his favorite players.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
adeltaY":i74xnc9c said:
Jville":i74xnc9c said:

Assuming he's right (and I don't trust such a take given Nemhauser's contrarian tendencies), he isn't stating anything we didn't already know. Getting rid of the LOB was going to be a talent drop.

What you could ask, though, is how long they would have kept looking as athletic as they were when he took his 2011 notes.

chris98251

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":uosvv393 said:
adeltaY":uosvv393 said:
Jville":uosvv393 said:

Assuming he's right (and I don't trust such a take given Nemhauser's contrarian tendencies), he isn't stating anything we didn't already know. Getting rid of the LOB was going to be a talent drop.

What you could ask, though, is how long they would have kept looking as athletic as they were when he took his 2011 notes.

The funny part is other then Earl this group is better athletically, Kam as big and slow but could hit, Sherm slow and tall, Browner huge for a CB but slow, Earl was the guy that was fast and quick.

What they did was always talk and there was always chatter, what made the LOB special was in their heads, they studied and studied some more as a group and learned and developed a communication system, they then took mistakes and worked thru them in game and on film afterwards and from what I read right afterwards as not to forget anything and correct them.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
adeltaY":2z82rbhy said:
Jville":2z82rbhy said:

Yet he missed on one of the most athletic guys on the field when he was a rookie, #3.
Don’t hate Hawkblogger, he is just another guy with an opinion that is wrong at times right at other times.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":2bnzin45 said:
Jville":2bnzin45 said:

I've no doubt he referenced his prior notes accurately and is stating his honest opinion.

However...

When the Legion was in its infancy, we had no defense to speak of and had just made The Big Purge. Our new defense and defensive philosophy was a breath of fresh air to a team that had never properly addressed its defensive deficiencies since the start of the Holmgren era. Suddenly we took an about face and went back to first principles: run the ball, focus on possession, have a strong defense, and play well on special teams.

So in contrast to the prior year, the defense looked amazing, because the prior year's defense looked like rubbish. 25th scoring defense, 27th in yards turned into 7th scoring, 9th in yards. Yeah, that's going to look a bit different.

Fast-forward to today. The contrast between this defense and years past is not going to be anywhere near the same as it was when we made the big turn-around. We're used to what a Carroll defense looks like.

So yeah the 2011 notes would have been glowing because 2010 was so abysmal. And they aren't going to glow so much in 2018 because we're used to it. Our eyes have adjusted. It's not just nostalgia making the 2011 group better, it's that we've shifted the bar of our expectations since then.

I think we have a lot of exciting prospects, and I am much more optimistic that we can be as good as last year - which would have been fine with an offense and kicking game that I think will improve this season.

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":t23b77xp said:

In the whole article, that was the part that concerned me. Carson got all the news and praise in the last two months, very little if any news on Penny. Even Pete seldom mentioned him in comparison to Carson.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Losing Chancellor, Sherman, Bennett, Avril, Richardson x2, and Thomas would certainly cause any fan of the team to be suspicious of the new guys. It’s very early and impossible to fairly assess many of the positions. Pete likes Tedric Thompson and Pete knows talent at DB.

The team thinks the WR area is one area where the competitions will settle the final roster. There are 14 WRs being looked at presently and we can expect more roster churn.

Not to worry. Think the team will be surprisingly better than many presently think. I believe and refuse to buy into all this negativity.

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":2e2hawxz said:
adeltaY":2e2hawxz said:
Jville":2e2hawxz said:
Our eyes have adjusted. It's not just nostalgia making the 2011 group better, it's that we've shifted the bar of our expectations since then.
This is the biggest thing I've noticed with a lot of fans. Anything less than the defense that won the SB is seen as sub par. That was a once in a decade or so type of defense. I think expectations about the defense Seattle will be fielding this season are unrealistic out of some.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Interestingly, Hill ran with the first team to start the day again (as he did for most of the workouts). But apparently Thompson’s instincts and ball hawking ability stole the show today.

TwilightError

Reaction score
I see the secondary as a good prospect. But the D-line is so weak with Clark and Jordan injured that the pass rush is just not there. They probably will make a move and bring someone in, but how great a player can they get at this point?

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I’m hearing about some good rushes from Jarran Reed, Marcus Smith, and Rasheem Green. Wish I was hearing more about Naz Jones, Shamar Stephen, and Tom Johnson.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Just a reminder for those who don't actually read the articles - the Hawks were not practicing in pads but rather doing their usual drills and brief scrimmage. Neither positive nor negative takes regarding players in shorts really mean much and mostly comments from these early days end up straight into the "posted something just to post" file. The interesting stuff to come out of these sort of practices is primarily health, then depth chart, and lastly plenty of tidbits of personal stuff.

Every year like clockwork there are posters who get excited (or upset) about what they see somebody do in shorts in a VERY tiny sample size and then there's an inevitable protest thread four weeks later when that player doesn't make the team.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
AgentDib pretty much hits the nail on the head. Furthermore, the originating site content has been 99% literally useless and baseless since it existed. Just another internet jockey that doesn't know football and once again...probably never even played.

chris98251

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2lvvlblt said:
AgentDib pretty much hits the nail on the head. Furthermore, the originating site content has been 99% literally useless and baseless since it existed. Just another internet jockey that doesn't know football and once again...probably never even played.

Why you read more then one source and make evaluations based on a compilation of information, especially these days whre spin is the name of the game. Until we can see with our own eyes we can only hope the news put together based on everyones input is accurate. This place does a good job of keeping up on multiple sources. Why one persons few if sounding extreme is hard to take as a serious evaluation.