Has Greg Olsen been worth the $7 mil. contract?

chris98251

Reaction score
massari":70b6a2nv said:
Fade":70b6a2nv said:
The Seahawks have good players at TE without Olsen so he isn't needed is the thinking for some, and they feel like the money could've been allocated elsewhere to improve weaker areas of the team.
He's also a huge injury risk with one ok season since 2016 (600 yards 2 TDs).

Never a highly regarded blocker coming here, but PFF has graded him decently so far.

I can never understand why someone who loves football so much they post on a message board for years needs to have PFF or anyone else tell you how a position player plays, lineman Ok, unless you know blocking assignments and intricacies of how the unit works it can be confusing at times, people tend to look at pancakes and sacks allowed or made during games. But a TE blocks, and catches

Learn to trust your observations and know that there is more to a player many times then what is on the field.

Look at how Bevell handcuffed us along with Cable, the players many times looked bad, many moved on and excelled in a system that didn't try to fit them in a round hole being a square peg.

Somos doces

Reaction score
massari":15sdtz3w said:
Fade":15sdtz3w said:
The Seahawks have good players at TE without Olsen so he isn't needed is the thinking for some, and they feel like the money could've been allocated elsewhere to improve weaker areas of the team.
He's also a huge injury risk with one ok season since 2016 (600 yards 2 TDs).

Never a highly regarded blocker coming here, but PFF has graded him decently so far.
What does PFF say about his leadership ability? That's intended as tongue in cheek, but I consider Olsen's signing to be an investment not only as injury insurance for the 2020 season but also as an education for the Hawks' young TEs in how to approach the game as a professional.

In my opinion, Olsen's veteran leadership could benefit the team for years into the future, as Dissly, Parkinson, and (possibly) Hollister garner insight from the sometimes grizzled vet and apply it to their own game going forward.

Are imparted institutional knowledge pluls some timely first downs worth $7M this season? IMO, yes.

massari

Reaction score
chris98251":1993rgkx said:
I can never understand why someone who loves football so much they post on a message board for years needs to have PFF or anyone else tell you how a position player plays, lineman Ok, unless you know blocking assignments and intricacies of how the unit works it can be confusing at times, people tend to look at pancakes and sacks allowed or made during games. But a TE blocks, and catches

Learn to trust your observations and know that there is more to a player many times then what is on the field.

Look at how Bevell handcuffed us along with Cable, the players many times looked bad, many moved on and excelled in a system that didn't try to fit them in a round hole being a square peg.
You're a football god, Christopher

olyfan63

Reaction score
Somos doces":1ff17w3q said:
What does PFF say about his leadership ability? That's intended as tongue in cheek, but I consider Olsen's signing to be an investment not only as injury insurance for the 2020 season but also as an education for the Hawks' young TEs in how to approach the game as a professional.

In my opinion, Olsen's veteran leadership could benefit the team for years into the future, as Dissly, Parkinson, and (possibly) Hollister garner insight from the sometimes grizzled vet and apply it to their own game going forward.

Are imparted institutional knowledge pluls some timely first downs worth $7M this season? IMO, yes.

massari":1ff17w3q said:

Here I thought you were saying that about our new amigo, Somos Doces, to welcome our new savior? I thought it was a good post, anyway. Bienvenido a casa mi amigo!

chris98251

Reaction score
massari":3or99b9k said:
chris98251":3or99b9k said:

I stopped walking on water years ago, Seattle environmentalists said they saw dog poo on one of my sandals and that it could affect Salmon spawning grounds.

olyfan63

Reaction score
chris98251":1vxyqw51 said:
massari":1vxyqw51 said:
chris98251":1vxyqw51 said:

I stopped walking on water years ago, Seattle environmentalists said they saw dog poo on one of my sandals and that it could affect Salmon spawning grounds.

I was gonna offer you use of a boat when you need to transit a waterway, but then, oh crap, it has a two-stroke motor and those are becoming outlawed on many lakes in the Northwest. So I guess now it's pedal boats from here on out?

I have just one request for your powers. When we play Tampa Bay in the playoffs, could you maybe use your God-like power to part the Red Sea of the Bucs defense a couple times, to clear a path to the end zone for DK, Tyler, and any Seahawk with the football in his hands?

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Was Olsen worth it? Not really, but I think it was done as a protection in the event Will Dissly was not ready. I think John was totally aware/convinced of how great DK Metcalf was going to be this year either, so there's that.

massari

Reaction score
chris98251":19ckl42p said:
massari":19ckl42p said:
chris98251":19ckl42p said:

Christopher, if Olsen's injury is serious enough to keep him out for a significant amount of time, can you enlighten us as to how this affects the team in terms of pass and run blocking with Dissly and Hollister as the top two now?

Which of the 3 would you say had the better game in this department against the Cards?

chris98251

Reaction score
massari":mgb6e3gg said:
chris98251":mgb6e3gg said:
massari":mgb6e3gg said:
chris98251":mgb6e3gg said:

Christopher, if Olsen's injury is serious enough to keep him out for a significant amount of time, can you enlighten us as to how this affects the team in terms of pass and run blocking with Dissly and Hollister as the top two now?

Which of the 3 would you say had the better game in this department against the Cards?

This is easy, Olsen is a leader we miss that a bit in the Position room, but at this point Dissly and Hollister and also now Parkinson all will be available. Dissly and Hollister will be the tandem most often that will play at this point.

Olsen was well rounded and can block and pass well, Dissly is in much that same mold, his issue has been major injury the last two seasons not talent, has surprised with very good hands also. He just has not seen as much, really with his two years of roster space he has not even had 16 games experience yet I don't think.

Hollister has very good hands and where has been willing to block he isn't good at it, now I am of the camp blocking is more about will rather then talent, a rock can block, you have to want to get between who you are protecting and the person wanting to take his head off and hold ground. Feet help but want to is more important, why Graham had issues.

Parkinson should be interesting very tall, supposedly great hands and a willing blocker just again not good at it, he is coming off a injury so lost a lot of time, not sure if he is on the 53 yet but we need depth now. Would be a great red zone addition to be sure, has almost a 33 in vertical and long arms 33 inch there also and is 6'7, there shouldn't be anyone that can get to a ball Wilson puts at 12 feet in the air except this kid in the End zone.

Latest posts