Has Greg Olsen been worth the $7 mil. contract?

massari

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3fc1k640 said:
Basis4day":3fc1k640 said:
Make sure to frame this in proper context. He was signed before they drafted Parkinson and when Will Dissly was only a couple months into rehabbing his 2nd season ending injury.

ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Another hindsight thread, just like the BJ Finney thread from last week. Olsen was a dependable veteran that was available for a good price to come in and anchor a healing thin TE group.

Sure now that Dissly is healthy, Parkinson's back and Hollister's played well, Olsen is probably expendable. But he sure wasn't in March.
C1d07e7a2af7a0c98adc37db20dc7e4f0d151r1 466 480 00

The offense was fine last season despite having Hunt, Hollister/Willson starting, and not letting Wilson cook in the first half of games. They should've prioritized signing defenders, and hoped Dissly and Pocic could actually stay healthy.

Would Schottenheimer be saying "we are in an urgent situation right now" if Hollister and Luke Willson were the top two TEs like they were last season?
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1321598102537605120[/tweet]

KinesProf

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":3dcwbd6i said:
Grown men concerned with another mans earnings.

Yep. Pocket watching someone else is such a weird aspect of some people's approach towards life.

DJrmb

Reaction score
If you're looking at just his receiving numbers, you're choosing to be ignorant.

TypeSly

Reaction score
DJrmb":3an5ksbq said:
If you're looking at just his receiving numbers, you're choosing to be ignorant.

Well, not necessarily. I highly doubt that Seattle brought him in at 7M for his "veteran leadership" to go along with mediocre receiving numbers.

DJrmb

Reaction score
We've been running a ton of max protect so far this year. That means having a TE in to mainly block. A lot of those long developing plays for TDs are a result of extra protection. It's not just "veteran leadership" they brought him in for, look again.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
KinesProf":3qz2fn4d said:
Flyingsquad23":3qz2fn4d said:

Yep. Pocket watching someone else is such a weird aspect of some people's approach towards life.

We don't care what he earns . It's more than obvious that his salary is brought up as a discussion on where they could have or should have spent their CAP $. Now if you'd like for everyone to explain how that works then we are going to have to start another thread. or

Now I am being a little tongue in cheek but I think you know why numbers are being discussed.

themunn

Reaction score
Looking at headline stats doesn't tell the full story.

Of his 17 catches 12 have gone for a 1st. Wilson trusts him to get the yardage when it's needed. He's converted 80% of his catches on 3rd/4th down for 1st downs.
The 49ers game has skewed his stats somewhat because coming into it he had 17 catches on 22 targets - and I thought at least 2/3 of the throws sent his way on Sunday were poorly thrown by Wilson rather than being poor attempts at catching by Olsen.

Is he worth $7m? It's tough to say yes, but is he worth $5m? I say absolutely. Given we're paying Hollister nearly $3.5m but he has nowhere near 50% of the production Olsen has, if I was pointing an overpaid finger at any TE it would be there.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
seabowl":305q8yuk said:
KinesProf":305q8yuk said:
Flyingsquad23":305q8yuk said:

We don't care what he earns . It's more than obvious that his salary is brought up as a discussion on where they could have or should have spent their CAP $. Now if you'd like for everyone to explain how that works then we are going to have to start another thread. or

Now I am being a little tongue in cheek but I think you know why numbers are being discussed.

I certainly don’t need you to explain anything, the mans value is whatever he was able to negotiate. If no one knew what any player made how would you then judge their play, probably far less harshly. I would prefer if the salaries were private but I get it the players often use it for shine and the owners use it for leverage. Fans just use it to hate...

By years end Olsen will have given all he has and most likely contribute numerous clutch plays.

It’s funny because fans here thought Jimmy Graham wasn’t worth his money yet he left the Hawks as the all time leader in TE TD’s, catches and yards...all while tearing his patella tendon.

What I do know is Schneider is brilliant at his job, he has been able to not only come up with some amazing trades but also managed to give damn near every player of relevance 2nd contracts and a lot of them third deals and winning every year. If he thinks Olsen is worth 7 mil I’m in.

AirStrike

Reaction score
KinesProf":1sgk1jhb said:
Flyingsquad23":1sgk1jhb said:

When there's such thing as a salary cap, it's integral to watch salaries. You should stick to the MLB if you're looking for inflated salaries with no drawbacks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, he has been healthy. And I think it's a very nice option to have, especially down the stretch. He has proven to be a very clutch player when it counts. He's already had some huge 3rd down plays this year. He got 7 mil, so be it. Point being I don't think after 7 games it can just automatically be a bad signing. Just my opinion. I'm glad he's here, and I think he'll continue to contribute. Also, you can't put a price on the leadership he clearly brings to the team.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
AirStrike":36d0zllc said:
KinesProf":36d0zllc said:
Flyingsquad23":36d0zllc said:

When there's such thing as a salary cap, it's integral to watch salaries. You should stick to the MLB if you're looking for inflated salaries with no drawbacks.

It’s “integral” to the Seahawks organization but not to me. And “inflated salaries” compared to what...yours? MLB pays market value and the “drawbacks” fall on the owners who agreed to the contract, They’re signing players to huge deals because they are making huge money. The NFL has just convinced the very people that produce the product that makes billions of dollars that a salary cap is for “competitive balance”...

Fade

Reaction score
He was a luxury signing. At the time, Seattle had $60M in cap space and they wanted to make sure they had a sure fire starter at the position as Dissly had suffered back 2 back injuries. I was shocked by the price then, and I'm still shocked by the price they paid now, given Hollister was on the roster, and Olsen is 37 years old.

NO, he hasn't been worth the money so far, but he can do some things in the red zone, and 3rd down, that could be what decides the game for the Hawks in a big divisional game or the playoffs. Then he will be worth it. If Dissly gets hurt once again, then he will be really worth it.

I think I gave the signing a C+ I want to say, in his signing thread. I'm sticking with that grade, though it looks bad right now, I'm thinking he is going to make a big play on 3rd down that wins them a game or two upcoming.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Fade":4mbjm5xt said:
He was a luxury signing. At the time, Seattle had $60M in cap space and they wanted to make sure they had a sure fire starter at the position as Dissly had suffered back 2 back injuries. I was shocked by the price then, and I'm still shocked by the price they paid now, given Hollister was on the roster, and Olsen is 37 years old.

NO, he hasn't been worth the money so far, but he can do some things in the red zone, and 3rd down, that could be what decides the game for the Hawks in a big divisional game or the playoffs. Then he will be worth it. If Dissly gets hurt once again, then he will be really worth it.

I think I gave the signing a C+ I want to say, in his signing thread. I'm sticking with that grade, though it looks bad right now, I'm thinking he is going to make a big play on 3rd down that wins them a game or two upcoming.

TY for writing what my lazy butt couldn't get around to. Just been waiting around for a post like this so I could do this. :ditto:

Phew! That wore me out... :les:

Fade

Reaction score
ivotuk":3s3vfsz6 said:
Fade":3s3vfsz6 said:

TY for writing what my lazy butt couldn't get around to. Just been waiting around for a post like this so I could do this. :ditto:

Phew! That wore me out... :les:

Rest up ol' timer, you'll be as good as new before you know it. :D :2thumbs:

rcaido

Reaction score
Here are some stats for the top 5 TE salary wise

$15million
George Kittles (out for the season i think)
37/49 474yrds 2ds 25 first downs

$14,312,500
Travis kelce
48/68 610yrds 6tds 34 first downs

$10,607,00
Hunter Henry
29/46 324yrds 1td 16 first downs

$10,500,00
Austin Hooper
22/32 205yrds 1td 12 first downs

$9,025,000
Kyle Rudolph
11/15 135yrds 1td 7 first downs

$7,000,00
Greg Olsen
17/26 158yrds 1td 12st downs

As another poster mention, 12 first down in 17 catches. Im not sure what everyone's expectations for his salary is worth.

AirStrike

Reaction score
rcaido":11547ue9 said:

$15million

$14,312,500
Travis kelce

$10,607,00
Hunter Henry

$10,500,00
Austin Hooper

$9,025,000
Kyle Rudolph

$7,000,00
Greg Olsen

As another poster mention, 12 first down in 17 catches. Im not sure what everyone's expectations for his salary is worth.

Seems like he's performing quite well when you break it down like that.

sutz

Reaction score
rcaido":1fgubw0u said:

$15million

$14,312,500
Travis kelce

$10,607,00
Hunter Henry

$10,500,00
Austin Hooper

$9,025,000
Kyle Rudolph

$7,000,00
Greg Olsen

Not to mention, our offense is just now starting realize what TEs are for. :twisted:

Fade

Reaction score
The Seahawks have good players at TE without Olsen so he isn't needed is the thinking for some, and they feel like the money could've been allocated elsewhere to improve weaker areas of the team.

I'm really on the fence with this signing because I see both sides of it. Olsen needs that signature moment that wins the team a game, before people warm up to him, classic Seattle freeze.

massari

Reaction score
Fade":34z0knyx said:
The Seahawks have good players at TE without Olsen so he isn't needed is the thinking for some, and they feel like the money could've been allocated elsewhere to improve weaker areas of the team.
He's also a huge injury risk with one ok season since 2016 (600 yards 2 TDs).

Never a highly regarded blocker coming here, but PFF has graded him decently so far.