Greetings 12th Man

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":v32zrrkk said:
NJSeaHawk":v32zrrkk said:
BlackandGolden":v32zrrkk said:
RolandDeschain":v32zrrkk said:
Welcome to .NET, Black. Question - do you really want to see us win this game, and if so, is it only because our opponent is the Patriots?

I would like to Seattle win it since it's been such a long time any team has repeated. Your roster is stacked, and it's as close to a "Dream Team" as we ever will see in a salary capped era.

Gets my vote! Welcome to .Net, where the price of admission is a hand grenade and a shrimp po' boy hand delivered to yours truly.

Hard to drink 2, if they are made correctly.

The Nectar of the Gods! :th2thumbs:

soje

Reaction score
Phteven":2bba3asx said:
BlackandGolden":2bba3asx said:
You dont have to shove roses up our asses just speak your true feelings and have a great time!
I don't know. The occasional rose... wait. No. Of course, you're right... hehe. No roses in any asses around here. That would be ridiculous.
Definitely nothing up anybody's asses.

camdawg

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":2cxlpih5 said:
Seahawks fans...how's it going? Your forum seems like great place for football talk, and I'm just a Saints fan dropping by. Your defense has the potential of being reaching legendary status as a result of good drafting and good developing. If only we had a defense like this to go with our offense...one can dream. :3-1:

If you have any questions about us, I'd be happy to chat. Good luck in the SB, I hope the Hawks win it again. :D

Welcome!

From a Saints fan's perspective, what led to your struggles this year? I think many of us would've predicted another playoff berth for the Saints before the season started. You had a pretty good defense in 2013, was Ryan just a really bad fit as a coordinator? Jimmy Graham didn't have a crazy good year, but 800 yards and 10 TDs suggest that he was still playing pretty well.

OP
OP
BlackandGolden

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
camdawg":19s3ds90 said:
BlackandGolden":19s3ds90 said:
Seahawks fans...how's it going? Your forum seems like great place for football talk, and I'm just a Saints fan dropping by. Your defense has the potential of being reaching legendary status as a result of good drafting and good developing. If only we had a defense like this to go with our offense...one can dream. :3-1:

If you have any questions about us, I'd be happy to chat. Good luck in the SB, I hope the Hawks win it again. :D

Welcome!

From a Saints fan's perspective, what led to your struggles this year? I think many of us would've predicted another playoff berth for the Saints before the season started. You had a pretty good defense in 2013, was Ryan just a really bad fit as a coordinator? Jimmy Graham didn't have a crazy good year, but 800 yards and 10 TDs suggest that he was still playing pretty well.

Here's the deal. On paper, mostly everyone looked at our team's roster headed into the 2014 season and immediately thought "Super Bowl," "Playoffs," "facing Seattle in the NFC Championship", etc. Even Archie Manning called it "the most talented Saints roster" he's ever seen. I drank the same kool-aid and thought that too.

And wouldn't you know it...we trot out starting at 0-2, began losing games by 1 or 2 points, Brees throwing the most asinine interceptions at key moments of the game, the lose column pile up, and finish the year 0-5 at home. Headed into the season, Coach Payton hasn't lost a home game in 4 years.

First thing that went wrong this year was not filling the void at the #2 Cornerback position. One reason our defense was so great in 2013 was because we had decent CB's (Jabari Greer & Keenan Lewis) on both sides as our starters. In 2013, Greer was lost to a season-ending foot injury. The injury was so bad that he never played in the NFL again, and retired earlier this year. We took a chance at replacing him with Champ Bailey, but that signing pan out, and was cut after preseason. So we were stuck with Patrick Robinson and Corey White as our #2. Both of those guys suck hard and blow lots of coverage assignments...when opposing teams QB's play our defense, especially on 3rd down, they're usually aiming at those two instead of Lewis. We took a chance on a rookie project player in the 2nd round, Stanley-Jean Baptiste, who is a CB but the coaches never gave him any playing time. Baptiste is pretty much a tall receiver turned CB, like Richard Sherman.

That brings me to the next problem....drafting. Go back and look at our 2014 draft class, it was spectacularly bad. Our first-rounder Brandin Cooks was no problem. Could have had a 1000 yard season like the other 1st round rookie receivers but ended up hurt. 2nd round pick Stanley Jean-Baptiste, never got much playing time and spent most of the season inactive. Had no 3rd rounder, since it was used to trade up for Cooks. 4th round pick LB Khiri Fortt was waived midseason, 5th round safety Vinnie Sunseri and 6th round MLB Ronald Powell were special teamers, and OT Tavon Rooks spent the season inactive and was later claimed by the Cardinals. That's right, just 1 one guy out of that whole class that played any meaningful snap that wasn't related to special teams. I wasn't surprised that some of our college scouting staff has already been let go after that draft. Lack of depth can really hurt a ball club, great depth due to great drafting is what makes your team competitive.

The OL play was not very good. In past years, Brees always had a competent OL that allows him to move freely in the pocket. We brought Johnathan Goodwin back from SF to start at Center, but he was way past his prime and not the same Pro Bowl player that helped us to the SB. So Brees forced throws that lead to Favre-like interecptions since the pocket was collapsing on him a lot. Bad OL play is what partly lost us the game 34-7 in 2013, Seattle won that game starting in the trenches.

Didn't help that our biggest FA signing, Jairus Byrd, was on IR by week 2. Also, we finished the year again on a negative turnover ratio. Last time we were the plus end of that we won a SB.

I don't necessarily think that Rob Ryan's a bad fit as a D-coordinator, it was mainly a lot of miscommunication and lack of leadership on our defense. All of those vets, Will Smith, Lance Moore, Roman Harper, Malcolm Jenkins, and Johnthan Vilma were all let go in this past offseason. Jonathan Vilma was one of those leaders on our defense that would make defensive audibles and get his players in the right positions on the field. RR adjust his schemes with the players he has, and our guys love him. So I'm willing to give him a mulligan.

Graham played most of the year hurt, even had a game or two with 0 receptions/0 yards/0 TDs and still put up numbers better than most TE's in the league.

We still were #1 in offense, but defense still wins championships.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
BlackandGolden":2c74ihu4 said:
camdawg":2c74ihu4 said:
BlackandGolden":2c74ihu4 said:

Welcome!

Here's the deal. On paper, mostly everyone looked at our team's roster headed into the 2014 season and immediately thought "Super Bowl," "Playoffs," "facing Seattle in the NFC Championship", etc. Even Archie Manning called it "the most talented Saints roster" he's ever seen. I drank the same kool-aid and thought that too.

And wouldn't you know it...we trot out starting at 0-2, began losing games by 1 or 2 points, Brees throwing the most asinine interceptions at key moments of the game, the lose column pile up, and finish the year 0-5 at home. Headed into the season, Coach Payton hasn't lost a home game in 4 years.

First thing that went wrong this year was not filling the void at the #2 Cornerback position. One reason our defense was so great in 2013 was because we had decent CB's (Jabari Greer & Keenan Lewis) on both sides as our starters. In 2013, Greer was lost to a season-ending foot injury. The injury was so bad that he never played in the NFL again, and retired earlier this year. We took a chance at replacing him with Champ Bailey, but that signing pan out, and was cut after preseason. So we were stuck with Patrick Robinson and Corey White as our #2. Both of those guys suck hard and blow lots of coverage assignments...when opposing teams QB's play our defense, especially on 3rd down, they're usually aiming at those two instead of Lewis. We took a chance on a rookie project player in the 2nd round, Stanley-Jean Baptiste, who is a CB but the coaches never gave him any playing time. Baptiste is pretty much a tall receiver turned CB, like Richard Sherman.

That brings me to the next problem....drafting. Go back and look at our 2014 draft class, it was spectacularly bad. Our first-rounder Brandin Cooks was no problem. Could have had a 1000 yard season like the other 1st round rookie receivers but ended up hurt. 2nd round pick Stanley Jean-Baptiste, never got much playing time and spent most of the season inactive. Had no 3rd rounder, since it was used to trade up for Cooks. 4th round pick LB Khiri Fortt was waived midseason, 5th round safety Vinnie Sunseri and 6th round MLB Ronald Powell were special teamers, and OT Tavon Rooks spent the season inactive and was later claimed by the Cardinals. That's right, just 1 one guy out of that whole class that played any meaningful snap that wasn't related to special teams. I wasn't surprised that some of our college scouting staff has already been let go after that draft. Lack of depth can really hurt a ball club, great depth due to great drafting is what makes your team competitive.

The OL play was not very good. In past years, Brees always had a competent OL that allows him to move freely in the pocket. We brought Johnathan Goodwin back from SF to start at Center, but he was way past his prime and not the same Pro Bowl player that helped us to the SB. So Brees forced throws that lead to Favre-like interecptions since the pocket was collapsing on him a lot. Bad OL play is what partly lost us the game 34-7 in 2013, Seattle won that game starting in the trenches.

Didn't help that our biggest FA signing, Jairus Byrd, was on IR by week 2. Also, we finished the year again on a negative turnover ratio. Last time we were the plus end of that we won a SB.

I don't necessarily think that Rob Ryan's a bad fit as a D-coordinator, it was mainly a lot of miscommunication and lack of leadership on our defense. All of those vets, Will Smith, Lance Moore, Roman Harper, Malcolm Jenkins, and Johnthan Vilma were all let go in this past offseason. Jonathan Vilma was one of those leaders on our defense that would make defensive audibles and get his players in the right positions on the field. RR adjust his schemes with the players he has, and our guys love him. So I'm willing to give him a mulligan.

Graham played most of the year hurt, even had a game or two with 0 receptions/0 yards/0 TDs and still put up numbers better than most TE's in the league.

:th2thumbs: Welcome and great post..People need to heed the very last part which is true..Please stay around you do know your football.. :thirishdrinkers:

LTH

Reaction score
BlueBlood":2oehpqfl said:
:2:

You dont have to shove roses up our asses just speak your true feelings and have a great time!

:lol:

original poster

Reaction score
Welcome along, buddy.

The Saints are one of the few teams in the NFL I don't mind at all.

OP
OP
BlackandGolden

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3r84l1az said:
BlackandGolden":3r84l1az said:
camdawg":3r84l1az said:
BlackandGolden":3r84l1az said:

Welcome!

:th2thumbs: Welcome and great post..People need to heed the very last part which is true..Please stay around you do know your football.. :thirishdrinkers:

Offense is fun to watch and will win you fantasy points, but run game, defense, and ST's keep you in games in all kinds of weather. :)

purpleneer

Reaction score
One more example that a hole at corner is pretty insurmountable. Byrd was a bad signing. Hard to call a draft where the first pick was a good one "spectacularly bad." The lack of contributions from the other picks is only an issue because the veteran personnel moves weren't good. Dropoff in play from a previously good OL really didn't help.
At least you're not a team or fan wearing yellow and calling it gold.