Graham versus Unger and Anthony

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think it won't be clear if we can overcome the loss of our Probowl center until a few weeks into the season.

So we won't know if the ProBowl TE is worth it, unless we can keep our QB clean enough to throw the ball and unless we can get good blocking for Lynch.

I think there were a few games where losing Unger made a big difference in the rushing last year. So I am skeptical but hopeful.

(By the way, I am really excited about Kikaha for you guys. He looks like a perfect fit to give you a little bit of pass rush, I was kinda hoping he would fall further and the Hawks could pick him up)

hawknation2015

Reaction score
One other point that I forget to mention about the trade is the fact that Graham's salary, when you deduct the $12 million signing bonus that New Orleans paid to him last year, is actually quite reasonable.

The Saints essentially paid him like a top receiver, rather than a TE. His cap hit this season, for example, would have been $11 million had he stayed in New Orleans. That's not something they were in a position to afford when you consider Drew Brees's insanely structured deal -- $26.4 million this year, $27.4 million next year (unless he restructures as part of an extension).

With New Orleans absorbing that $12 million cap hit, Graham's contract becomes much more in-line with some of the other top TEs in the league. Just $8 million this year, with no more guaranteed money going forward.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Good to see you on here, again Guido!

I'm hoping the trade helps both of our teams this year. Jimmy is going to greatly improve our RedZone Offense, which has been probably our biggest weakness the last two seasons since we lost Sidney Rice to injury.

You guys seem to be stacked at receiver this season with the emergence of Cooks last year, and Unger should give you a great presence in the middle of your O-line so Brees can continue to get the ball to his guys. When Unger's in the game, he makes a difference.

El Caliente

Reaction score
Guido, as a fellow Saints fan, and one not to see things blindly, I think this will be a wash (win/win), both short and long term. Sure Max Unger has missed time over the last two years, and (from a source with the training staff) we pushed the deal through despite his lack of health, we also sent out a player, who missed games in teh sense that he disappeared. He has only missed one game, but having watched him since he entered the league, he was good for disappearing in 3-4 games a season. And for a man of his size, and his reputation to miss games...Brees really forced the ball to him over the last few years, so when he disappeared it hurt quite a lot.

But I think both teams won in this deal. Seattle got a great receiver to match their great running game. This acquisition will remove any questions regarding how Wilson would be with a legit receiving option. Wilsons passing numbers will go up, and I can totally see Graham getting his normal 80-90 receptions, and 10-12 tds this season. Having him in the Super Bowl would have led to a different outcome thats for sure. Also, the Lockett move is great. I like what we have in Murphey, but you can tell why he was only considered the 2nd best returner after Lockett. That guy is going to give your offense some great field position.

As to the guy asking about Coleman, don't think about him. He is an afterthought. In that same game where Cooks caught the 45 yard bomb from Brees, Coleman dropped a few passes, and he let one bounce out of his hands in the end zone. He is still a work in progress. The guy you want to look at is Willie Sneed. He will be our next Lance Moore, or your Doug Baldwin. He wasn't drafted, and he isn't the best player on the field, but he has heart, and runs routes like nobody else. He will be our #3 wr.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Hey Guido!!! :2:
I want you to know that I drafted Anthony in my IDP fantasy league. I expect big things from him this season. I have been reading that he is a beast. Wish me luck!
Anyways, good to see you back here.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Right now I am not sure that I wouldn't prefer Nowak to Unger (I might be the only one on the Net that feels this way). Ungers snaps drove me nut, has he fixed those? I also thought he was injury prone but assuming the best for all parties involved (meaning all parties stay 100% healthy this year), I don't think the loss of Unger impacts our team as his gain does for you. The Saints need to get tougher up front and he gives this coupled with his leadership, I will be curious to see the new product down there. There is something about Drew Nowak (our guy) that is special. He is highly intelligent (Cable says he is way ahead where he should be in his mental development) and as you know, center is a two tier job. At this point he is now just focusing on the blocking part instead of worrying about calls. He comes early and stays late and is taking the reigns.

Jimmy Graham's true value will come if he learns how to block, so far the results have been putrid. He needs to get his pad level down and drive, stop using his arms so much. His value will be far greater if Linebackers are covering as opposed to DB's. Lets just say it is a work in progress. But regardless, having his presence in the redzone will be the true indicating factor of his worth.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This looks like a deal that will work for both team but it is early and while Unger is a quality OLineman he's near the end of his career and has been hurt a lot over the past few seasons, and it is too soon to know about a rookie. There is no doubt the Hawks have been looking for quality player like Graham for a while, let's hope our blockhead OC can figure out how to use him effectively, if so his presence will positively change the O and make the Hawks a better team and harder to defend.

Time will tell who won or lost on this deal.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
As it sits now, and with the trade as described in the OP, I would call it a wash.

With the addition of the 4th rd pick from the Saints, which everyone seems to forget, and which was instrumental in drafting Tyler Lockett, I think the 'Hawks come out ahead.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
If Russ and Jimmy work together even close to as well as Drew and Jimmy did we killed this deal. Russ has never had a true superstar to throw the ball to. This is the type of move that could lead to his next big step up.