Good SI article on Bruce Irvin by Doug Farrar

-The Glove-

Reaction score
http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/09/the-all-22-bruce-irvins-spin-doctors-and-finding-the-next-von-miller/

How will they get the four best rushers on the field considering only one (Michael Bennett) is really suited for the inside over a guard? Look for Cliff Avril at left end, Bennett inside over the center or a guard, Chris Clemons at the right end and Bruce Irvin playing the “spinner” role. The “spinner” stands up and moves during the snap count, meaning he could rush from anywhere.
Most NFL teams know Pete Carroll has run this scheme before, [and] one head coach is taking special notice: “That Seattle spinner package will be a major problem for teams visiting Seattle,” the coach said. “The O-line has to constantly communicate about where the spinner is and where he might cross the line of scrimmage. It won’t be easy up in that stadium and it’s going to put a lot of stress on the offensive line.”

After watching him for a year, he showed tremendous versatility,” Carroll told me about Irvin’s ability to potentially present the entire package. “We were wondering if he would be able to move around a little bit and he’s doing it really well. He’s had no problem. He had a really good off season, he’s studied and he did really well on the OTAs, and he looks really comfortable. It allows us to still use him as an outside rusher, just like we had done before. Use him in coverage sometimes, and try to put him in position to really take advantage of his overall ability. So we are really excited about this transition. It’s just a matter of growing and encompassing more responsibility, and he’s doing that really well.”

SDHawk

Reaction score
“The O-line has to constantly communicate about where the spinner is and where he might cross the line of scrimmage. It won’t be easy up in that stadium and it’s going to put a lot of stress on the offensive line.”

Good point.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
We saw Schofield a little bit in the Nickle SAM role yesterday, but I am really eager to see Irvin. I hope he gets healthy.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Fuzzman55":2170ypu8 said:
We saw Schofield a little bit in the Nickle SAM role yesterday, but I am really eager to see Irvin. I hope he gets healthy.

He'll have 4 weeks to get healthy sitting on his couch when he's suspended.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
A really good explanation of what the role of Irvin will be when he returns.