Going for 2 up 12-7

pehawk

Reaction score
I loved that call. I love Pete for making those types of calls.

Did anyone not agree at the time?

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Pretty common thing for coaches to do in that situation. I was all for it.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
I liked the call and thought the points were certain. I really thought it was the call to make so the game would be tied if Carolina happend to score again.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
The call was a no brainer. Not gutsy at all.

Being up 6 gets you nothing but being up 7 does. I don't see where Pete was unique in making this call. It's one the 100 percent of the coaches would have made.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I liked it, if we give up a TD then we still lose, 13 isn't anything we didn't already have with the TD.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Well, it should be common, but I'm not sure how comon it is. Or, we're just used to Holmgren's style? I doubt he does that. I know conventional wisdom says you do that on the road, but, IMO, a lot of coaches only do that at home.

Or, I'm wrong...which I am a lot.

themunn

Reaction score
If we lost because Carolina scored 2 field goals he'd be crucified

Kind of like how people aren't happy that Pete went for a 63 yard field goal against Atlanta in 2011, but they're also not happy that he went for a Hail Mary instead of attempt a 61 yard field goal in 2012.

But I think it's the right call every single time

Scottemojo

Reaction score
10 minutes left? If the Panthers get two FG, Pete wears egg. Of course, we ended the game in FG range anyway.

But yeah, I like it. I wish Okung would have tried to block on the play, but good call.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
its a no-brainer call.

This team has depth which means they have solid special teams. Chances of getting an onside kick against us to beat us with a pair of FGs are slim to none.

Chances of Carolina scoring a TD to go up by 2 and RW not getting us in field goal range to win are slim.

We left two TD's on the field ..the fumble before the half, and the drive at the end of the game where we just ran out the clock.

To be fair carolina left one out there too when they fumbled away the game.

This game could have easily been 24-14. Don't let the ugly final score fool you.

minormillikin

Reaction score
It was the right call in that situation, for sure. That late in the game, a 5 or 6 point lead meant the same thing (chance of losing if the panthers respond with a 7 point drive). Getting the 2 would have been some great insurance.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Yes, it makes sense and all that but I think we're taking for granted how common it is.

TyrantHawk

Reaction score
Since nobody else has, I will admit that I questioned the call at the time.

I completely understand the reasoning behind it, and know it's usually an automatic call in that position. I get it.

But I just felt that the way that game was going... our D wasn't going to allow a TD, our running game stuffed (till that last drive), Cam always a threat to pickup yards for FGs... that the bigger threat was for Carolina to get a FG and then the cheese binds only being up two.

I just thought taking the point and trusting the D to keep 'em out of the endzone was perhaps a call worth making.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
TyrantHawk":17ym3ji0 said:
Since nobody else has, I will admit that I questioned the call at the time.

I completely understand the reasoning behind it, and know it's usually an automatic call in that position. I get it.

But I just felt that the way that game was going... our D wasn't going to allow a TD, our running game stuffed (till that last drive), Cam always a threat to pickup yards for FGs... that the bigger threat was for Carolina to get a FG and then the cheese binds only being up two.

I just thought taking the point and trusting the D to keep 'em out of the endzone was perhaps a call worth making.

Totally. That's a VERY fair argument.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Seemed like a straightforward call to me.

What I'd really like is for Pete to do things like go for 2 on the first TD if we're trying to erase a 14-point deficit. Now that would show that he's ahead of his colleagues on these decisions.

(Or preferably we just never fall behind by 14 to begin with. That's fine too.)

Cartire

Reaction score
For everyone calling it a no-brainer. Thats not using your brain....

10 minutes were still on the clock. More then enough time for 2 Carolina drives that could have given them the lead with 2 FG's. It was a 50/50 call, but there is no way you can just say it was a no-brainer. Like others had said, had Carolina got 2 FG's (which with 10 minutes, wasnt out of the realm of possibilities) PC would have been hung up and flogged.

And lets not forget that it failed, there by making it that Carolina takes the lead with 2 fgs, instead of what would be a tie had we just gone for the EP.

No Brainer.... Cmon ... use that brain.

Latest posts