GIF Breakdown: Short vs Britt

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Hawks46":3eo43fki said:
Short is a top 5, maybe top 3 DT in the league this year. He had 11 sacks in the regular season, and 10 of them weren't on Britt.

Watching those gifs, yup Britt looks pretty bad against him, but it goes deeper than that. Lewis is there to help in the interior. The problem is, on the 2nd play (1st gif), Lewis helps over to Sweezy because Lotuleilei gets by Sweezy every bit as fast as Short gets by Britt.

On another play, Britt and Lewis double team Short and he gets both of them.

I can't stress enough that Britt is a 2nd year player, and last year was his first at Guard. Now you're putting him up against one of the very best 3 tech DT's in the league. And you can't give him DT help because your 4th year Guard on the other side can't hold his block in pass protection either. When Lewis had to block Short, he didn't do all that well either.

Our entire interior OL is crap when it comes to pass protection. I think it's a bit short sighted to blame it all on a first year player (at the posittion) without addressing facts as a whole. Sweezy is what he is. He's never going to get better in pass pro that he is right now, and he's not good. Lewis isn't a great fit for our scheme at Center, but he's average in pass pro and decent in the run game. Britt is largely an unknown; he wasn't allowed to progress at RT (where he was rated as one of the best run blocking RT's in the league as a rookie) because he had to slide inside to Guard, where he'd never played (I don't count high school as a valid NFL experience builder).

Yea, Britt looked bad this year, but we honestly don't know what we have in him. It's very similar to Deshawn Shead. We still don't know how good he can be at CB because he's a young player always switching between Safety and CB (both outside and Nickle) and not really allowed to settle in and concentrate on one spot.

Good points. I think fans are to quick to judge linemen, I remember when Unger was inserted at Guard as wasn't good, people thought he was a complete bust. Then they move him to Center and suddenly turns into a great player after several years in the league. I think next year will be telling for Britt, either he'll learn and grow from this year and be a significantly better player, or he won't. But it's premature to condemn him after his first year playing guard.

HawkGA

Reaction score
McGruff":d5mx4kij said:
FormerEvil":d5mx4kij said:
McGruff":d5mx4kij said:
FormerEvil":d5mx4kij said:
Man, that first clip is so amazingly bad. Britt has always been on my radar as being awful but that is just some Looney Toons stuff. He looks drunk.

The first clip was Okung getting beat. Or maybe Bailey. Either way it was the LT. Another one was Lewis getting beat.

At the end of the day, as bad as it was, we're talking about an All Pro DT and elite interior pass rusher.

No, it's Britt. Go back and watch it again. The "clip", meaning "video". Okung gets beat but Britt literally blocks no one and runs a loop out wide like he was expecting a bootleg or something. It comically bad and he looks like someone that's incapable of remembering his assignments or the plays.

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/puot.mp4 . . . first video . . . it's not Britt getting beat by Short. Britt is looping around by design because Wilson's #1 read was what looks like a screen to that side. Wihtout seeing the all-2 its hard to tell who was down there and why Wilson looks that way and clutches the throw, but it was obviously designed to go there.

But it's #76 that gets destroyed by Short.

Yep, that first play appears to be a screen to Willson.

There was another play there where there was a hand-off problem between Britt and Lewis. Now, maybe it was Britt's fault but I suspect it was Lewis's. But either way it was a communication issue rather than Britt getting blown up.

That said, there were few of those plays were I think I could have done a better job than Britt and that's only a slight exaggeration. I would have at least made Short throw me out of the way, which would have taken at least a moment longer than doing an ole with him (though not much longer!).

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Britt's the one guy I would say is replacement-level on this OL. Nobody else has stood out that poorly in pass protection, not even Sweezy.

The Hutch Curse continues.

Hawks46

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2nolno09 said:
Missing_Clink":2nolno09 said:
Britt is mind blowingly bad. Another wasted high pick on a Tom Cable handpicked garbage OL player. Why does he still have this job?

So what would you call Sweezy who got beat just as badly from that same article?

With much more experience at Guard in the NFL. That's been my entire point: people are ripping on Britt but Sweezy's pass pro is just as bad and he's been at it longer.

Britt was actually a college offensive lineman. He was also from Mizzou, where they ran a spread and linemen coming from the spread take a bit longer to adjust to the NFL. People don't seem to understand that, and the prevalence of the spread in the college game is one of the biggest reasons why so many teams are having a hard time finding good OL in the draft. Well, that and the new CBA.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2n85rkv2 said:
Funny how for 3 years in a row our biggest weakness in dominate DT's getting to Wilson and disrupting our run game.

I think this is the year we finally get a DT in the 1st.

We passed of Fletcher Cox, we didn't trade up for Aaron Donald, and we didn't get Kwame Short. All three were players this forum were pretty high on. I think there were a few others but I'm tired of watching other teams with dominate interiors get to Russ and us not be able to get pressure up the middle to pocket QB's consistently.

You watch those videos and think our big need is to find a DT???

It's crystal clear what they need to do -- rebuild that interior O-line. It's a total mess.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawks46":1aikxwqb said:
jlwaters1":1aikxwqb said:
Missing_Clink":1aikxwqb said:
Britt is mind blowingly bad. Another wasted high pick on a Tom Cable handpicked garbage OL player. Why does he still have this job?

So what would you call Sweezy who got beat just as badly from that same article?

With much more experience at Guard in the NFL. That's been my entire point: people are ripping on Britt but Sweezy's pass pro is just as bad and he's been at it longer.

Britt was actually a college offensive lineman. He was also from Mizzou, where they ran a spread and linemen coming from the spread take a bit longer to adjust to the NFL. People don't seem to understand that, and the prevalence of the spread in the college game is one of the biggest reasons why so many teams are having a hard time finding good OL in the draft. Well, that and the new CBA.

Neither are very valuable contributors on OL and only remain because they're cheap. If there was merely one broken OL on the entire line and every one else was at least average, it might work both in terms of performance and cap, but we have gaping holes in the interior and it's not by accident we wound up in this situation.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":33edlbuj said:
jlwaters1":33edlbuj said:
Missing_Clink":33edlbuj said:

Though Sweezy is in his 4th year, he came in having never played (converted DT). The fact that Britt is no better is a concern, considering he played OL in college.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Largent80":10klpw9t said:
The interior of BOTH lines was a weakness.

Truth! It was really cool to see Denver's defense collapse New Englands pocket with much ease yesterday. See Brady consistently pounded and man handled was a joy to see.

Greenhell

Reaction score
austinslater25":3udfsmf3 said:
http://nflbreakdowns.com/kawann-short-panthers-seahawks-divisional-2015/

Reddit shared this and I thought it was interesting. Cliff notes version is Britt got destroyed over and over. He's not starting next year.

After seeing this film as well as film of Britt from earlier in the year it's amazing to me what the coaches saw in that dude. He gets blown up a lot and gives very little effort or push.