Former Seahawk John Moffitt feels for Brandon Browner

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
ivotuk":2vzsndk3 said:
Zebulon Dak":2vzsndk3 said:
I like Moffitt. I agree with him and the OP and I'm glad this is it's own thread because I'm not reading through that other goddam monstrosity.

Hear hear! I like you Zeb, always so on it. Appreciate it sir.

I think it's B.S. that the NFL is allowed to test for cannabis. Couldn't the union have done something useful during the negotiations and got that booted out? DeMaurice Smith failed.

Love moffitt, hope he becomes a radio host.

:thirishdrinkers:

The Radish

Reaction score
H4WKSF4N":2cp7oosd said:
E.C. Laloosh":2cp7oosd said:
Could have simply posted this in either Browner thread, no?

Didn't know you were a moderator?

Well I can solve that problem.....entirely to many of our posters don't have the courtesy to read the page before posting something that is already there. Or decides their post is much more important than someone elses.

:141847_bnono:

Spiderdan

Reaction score
I just realized the 2 states that Moffitt played pro homegames in were the 2 states that legalized marijuana for recreational use.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2wie1vij said:
These dudes are smokin and drinkin. Football players, basketball players, baseball players, golfers, tennis players, chess players. It's time for us to get past this crap.
Amen! I have witnessed this crap at various social gatherings since I was 15 years old. I have indulged but tend to
drink more often. Mary Jane just isn't the kind of buzz I like because it makes me so damned quiet and I like to talk
to people. It often makes me sleepy too. So, it's not my thing. However, many of my social cohorts have smoked it
and I have never ever witnessed a fight with people who are stoned. Drunk people;CONSTANTLY. Oh, and for the
record, quite a few of my friends still toke up(some more than others) and we are all closing in on 50yrs of age.
It's a GREAT pain killer. I have used it medicinally more than anything else.

It's time to legalize the shit in this country. Seriously.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I'm on the BB right now, and I'm not harming anyone. If I decided to drive down to the market, I could do so without any problems at all.

On the other hand, If I were to drink that Wild Turkey in the corner, then drive to the mark...we might have so problems.

The NFL (and this country), needs to accept that marijuana isn't the monster it's been portrayed as. I was an active member of NORMAL for a long time, and helped the WA branch prepare for their run to make it legal. I know how people that smoke weed look to the general public, thanks to movies and propaganda. However, if anyone simply looks at the facts and weighs the benefits and risks, it becomes clear that marijuana is no more of a health risk than alcohol and cigarettes (which I think are far worse for users and bystanders). Sidenote - I'm glad everything worked out for them in the end, as I had to focus more of my time on personal enrichment (college).

A few weeks ago, they did a quick one on one with Jerome Bettis (ugh) and he even came out and said at least 70 percent of NFL players in the locker room smoke. Then someone chimed in about the NBA and said the number is even higher. So, there appear to be double standards all over the place in American sports in regards to marijuana usage. I think it's time those in charge of putting the rules in place re-evaluate their stance.

Then again, they would miss out of getting their fines from players that get caught toking. They would need to find another way to make up for the loss of cash they would usually get, I could see them doing this and then calling more players out for other infractions (ie - helmet to helmet).

At the same time, I can't helped but be a little pissed at players that do things knowing full well it's against the rules. Sometime, players just need to suck it up and be smarter than they are (just play the game TPTB have set up). I'm sure so many players smoke that it's almost a non-issue within the Pro Sports Culture, and if getting in trouble is brought up..I'm sure it's shrugged off as no big deal. If that's the case, the rules should be adjusted to something that is fair for both players and the league. People would never even know, it's not like anyone can really see their faces under those helmets. Hell, what is it going to hurt if players get stoned on game day?

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
vanhawk":1ydjgw9b said:
I love this man!:
http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=292&sid=2417865

"Moffitt says based on his observation in the locker room, at least 50 percent of players use marijuana, and he wouldn't be surprised if that number was much higher. "

Time for the people in denial to face it. Marijuana use is through the roof in humanity. If you don't think so -- you're only fooling yourself. It's time for them to update their backwards rules and let players use it during off practice/playing hours.

Browner smokes marijuana and gets suspended yet hundreds of players get charged with DUI and play the next day. What is wrong here?

fixed it.

jblaze

Reaction score
50% is very likely low. Most of these guys do and do regularly.

However, you have to be pretty dumb to get caught in the NFL. They call them stupidity tests for a reason. They get tested once a year, usually at the end of the preseason and unless you get caught, you don't get tested again for the rest of the year. So really, just lay off a month before your test and then you're fine to do whatever you want the rest of the year. Many, many players have come forward stating this after their playing days and say the veterans teach the rookies this stuff year one.

Drugs and alcohol are everywhere. I just wish these guys would realize the risk they're taking while doing this. They've worked so hard to get here and have the ability to make a lot of money to set their families up for life that I would hope they wouldn't take the risk. It's just not worth it.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Ultimately, it's up to the players to get the ban on marijuana dropped from the CBA. They're the ones who signed the CBA that specified the regulation. Which means, they voted on it and that's what they wanted.

The NFL itself doesn't really care and would drop the ban from the CBA in a heartbeat if that was the last remaining issue in the next CBA talks.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
I am not one who is for pot use, but I do find it stupid that a player can be caught committing a crime (illegal weapons) and be able to play the next week. You have players who have shot themselves in the foot and played after healing, ones who have more than one DUI which has potential of killing someone. Reevaluate the rules is definitely needed.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Kixkahn":27msz56f said:
I am not one who is for pot use, but I do find it stupid that a player can be caught committing a crime (illegal weapons) and be able to play the next week. You have players who have shot themselves in the foot and played after healing, ones who have more than one DUI which has potential of killing someone. Reevaluate the rules is definitely needed.

While I understand your point, it's impossible for me to get on board simply because there is a very good reason for the distinction between punishing players for the outcome of league testing versus matters that were not a direct result of league managed tests and have not been adjudicated.

You shouldn't be able to suspend a guy now, only to have a case thrown out or won by the defendant after they've served their suspension and lost their pay.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Kixkahn":85voynng said:

NFL players do get suspended for crimes, but not until after the legal process is finished, which can take years. Here's a list of the more famous suspensions for crimes like you're talking about;

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1326 ... violations

Basis4day

Reaction score
HansGruber":1xdcuhna said:
Ultimately, it's up to the players to get the ban on marijuana dropped from the CBA. They're the ones who signed the CBA that specified the regulation. Which means, they voted on it and that's what they wanted.

The NFL itself doesn't really care and would drop the ban from the CBA in a heartbeat if that was the last remaining issue in the next CBA talks.

I'm sorry, but that's a false conclusion. It's a negotiation. The entire document is full of issues that they don't favor. Because they passed it doesn't mean they agree with every clause. It means there is enough issues in totality that they favor to pass it.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I can't really think of a better use for pot than chilling out and numbing the pain of spending 3+ hours every week getting the crap knocked out you by the strongest, biggest, fastest athletes in the world, personally.

I guarantee that weed is as or less harmful than many of the legal supplements and prescribed "legal" drugs they end up using.

All that being said it doesn't change the fact that the rules were violated, as dumb as the rules may be.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Basis4day":mt9veve5 said:
HansGruber":mt9veve5 said:

I'm sorry, but that's a false conclusion. It's a negotiation. The entire document is full of issues that they don't favor. Because they passed it doesn't mean they agree with every clause. It means there is enough issues in totality that they favor to pass it.

Well the NFL player's association could have made a hardline stance about weed like the NBA players did. But the owners offered up a big ol' pot of money, and the player's took it.

Bottom line is weed isn't allowed, so don't smoke it. Next time the CBA comes around, if this issue is so important, fight for it.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3luq1zo1 said:
Basis4day":3luq1zo1 said:
HansGruber":3luq1zo1 said:

Well the NFL player's association could have made a hardline stance about weed like the NBA players did. But the owners offered up a big ol' pot of money, and the player's took it.

Bottom line is weed isn't allowed, so don't smoke it. Next time the CBA comes around, if this issue is so important, fight for it.

While I'd be fine w/ eliminating testing for weed, how about simply eliminating testing of players who are not in the league (for any non-PED related substances).

Seriously, someone explain why the league should care if a non-employee is smoking anything that's not performance enhancing.

kearly

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":22fmw88w said:
Could have simply posted this in either Browner thread, no?

I'm glad he didn't. Lumping every tangentially related topic into 25 page megathreads is killing .net.