Former Saint Darren Sharper charged with rape--Update

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Largent80":a032hovc said:
9 years for all those incidents is unreal.

There seems to be some plea bargaining going on, as from what I am reading Sharper is not alone in these acts. It's apparently he and two other guys. (which makes it just that much worse)

kidhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1ppciing said:

It's likely to get him to testify against the others and strengthen the state's case. I believe they others have made not guilty pleas.

9 years is a light sentence IMO, but if he can get a few more of those tacked on in other jurisdictions, plus get the other guys put away for a long time, then it's an understandable tactic, especially with how difficult these types of cases are to prove in court.

The whole thing just sickens and disgusts me

rideaducati

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ph9s4tw said:
Largent80":3ph9s4tw said:

There seems to be some plea bargaining going on, as from what I am reading Sharper is not alone in these acts. It's apparently he and two other guys. (which makes it just that much worse)

I bet the other guys don't get this sweetheart deal that Sharper just got.

kidhawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":15235afz said:
Uncle Si":15235afz said:
Largent80":15235afz said:

And they shouldn't. In cases that prosecutors need more evidence, they give one deal and one deal only. The rest of the group gets full punishment. One would hope they did their due diligence to insure that the one who was most likely to be the least involved gets the deal.

I haven't seen enough of the actual evidence in this case to make that determination, but I do understand that these types of cases are difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt and get the conviction, so getting one of the group to become a witness against the others would likely be very important in getting convictions for all.

rideaducati

Reaction score
kidhawk":2z34rjuy said:
rideaducati":2z34rjuy said:
Uncle Si":2z34rjuy said:
Largent80":2z34rjuy said:

And they shouldn't. In cases that prosecutors need more evidence, they give one deal and one deal only. The rest of the group gets full punishment. One would hope they did their due diligence to insure that the one who was most likely to be the least involved gets the deal.

I haven't seen enough of the actual evidence in this case to make that determination, but I do understand that these types of cases are difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt and get the conviction, so getting one of the group to become a witness against the others would likely be very important in getting convictions for all.

Sharper being the first to roll over and testify against the others doesn't surprise me at all.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Looks like his time is starting to add up. This article seems to be saying that all the deals are already in place with prosecutors.

[urltargetblank]http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com/news/11920705-123/darren-sharper-takes-20-year-deal[/urltargetblank]

Former New Orleans Saints safety Darren Sharper will receive a 20-year prison sentence for drugging and raping a series of women in New Orleans, part of a global deal that was playing out with guilty pleas by Sharper in various states on Monday, according to a source familiar with deal.

The 20-year term is part of a package deal Sharper reached in the four states where he was charged with drugging and raping women: Louisiana, California, Nevada and Arizona. Among his pleas in three states on Monday, Sharper pleaded no contest to sex assault charges in Los Angeles, agreeing to a 20-year sentence for which he could serve as little as half, minus the year he already has spent in a Los Angeles County jail.

Just how much the 20-year Louisiana sentence will add to Sharper’s time behind bars, beyond the net minimum sentence of nine years in the California case, was unclear. He will be formally sentenced in the California case in July.

On Monday morning, he pleaded guilty via teleconference to sexual assault and attempted sexual assault in Tempe, and was immediately sentenced to 9 years in prison, according to the Associated Press. Meanwhile, TMZ reported that Sharper will serve a maximum of 8 years in Nevada jail for allegedly sexually assaulting two women in Las Vegas in January 2014.

Under the global deal, he will serve the sentences concurrently — at the same time — rather than one after the next.

[urltargetblank]http://theadvocate.com/news/neworleans/11898147-148/ex-saints-safety-darren-sharper-strikes[/urltargetblank]

Uncle Si

Reaction score
And I imagine he will serve them all in the same place (ie.. Federal prison)?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":5s6oho7c said:

One of the articles I linked said he starts his sentence in federal prison, but will be moved to state prison after that, but it's yet to be determined which state(s)

Subzero717

Reaction score
kidhawk":3nk85a5e said:
Uncle Si":3nk85a5e said:

One of the articles I linked said he starts his sentence in federal prison, but will be moved to state prison after that, but it's yet to be determined which state(s)

As far as I know Louisianas sentence was the big kicker so it would likely be there.

titan3131

Reaction score
kobebryant":1lj8z0l3 said:
titan3131":1lj8z0l3 said:
SPEECHLESS.

How do you need to rape anyone in LAS VEGAS?

What do you mean?

I'm not sure how location matters.

I mean you can legally buy sex in las vegas.

Its more then likely this is a power thing for him.

Chapow

Reaction score
titan3131":12t8ehz1 said:
kobebryant":12t8ehz1 said:
titan3131":12t8ehz1 said:
SPEECHLESS.

How do you need to rape anyone in LAS VEGAS?

What do you mean?

I'm not sure how location matters.

I mean you can legally buy sex in las vegas.

Its more then likely this is a power thing for him.

Prostitution is legal in some counties in Nevada. Clark County, where Las Vegas is, is not one of them.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It seems rape will continue to be a big part of Sharper's life.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3azj8tww said:
It seems rape will continue to be a big part of Sharper's life.

I hope he remembers to take his zolpidem.

drdiags

Reaction score
I wonder what Freeman (Bleacher Report) was alluding to about the NFL worried that Sharper would implicate several others?

Remember this same line of talk when the whole PEDs Dr. working with the Feds. Not sure what the Sharper rumor is all about.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...dium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-league

3. Sharper heads to prison

I wrote about Darren Sharper last year in what has been a remarkable case. At least part of that horrible case is coming to an end as he makes plea deals. The fear, however, is even more bad news might come.

In speaking to team officials who have followed the case, I can tell you there is great fear that Sharper will implicate other NFL players. That has been the fear since Sharper was first arrested, but now that fear is bigger than ever. Maybe Sharper will lie to save his own butt or maybe not. But that is the concern. He will say something that could make this already sad and disturbing case even worse.

Latest posts