Formations you hate the most

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Formations/schemes where you see pre-snap and say “oh $&@%!, this isn’t going to end well.

Offense: the empty set (no RB) on 3rd down. You are telegraphing to the defense “we are passing”, and opposing defenses pin their ears back and blitz, which usually amounts to an epic failure and a punt. A low percentage play.

Honorable mention offense:

The “and long” draw play. Usually happens after a penalty or a sack when you are behind the sticks. It usually gets 4 yards or less which isn’t good enough of a chunk when you need 20 yards for a first down. A wasted play.

Defense:

Soft Zone. Minimal pressure on QB. Takes near perfect coverage to make the scheme/formation to work. Always seems to be a player or 2 wide open.

D

DomeHawk

Sports Hernia":179fjmz1 said:
Defense:

Soft Zone. Minimal pressure on QB. Takes near perfect coverage to make the scheme/formation to work. Always seems to be a player or 2 wide open.

This is something that usually happens at the end of games when you are leading by multiple scores. The object is to prevent a big play and keep them in bounds. It isn't really a defense per se.

McGruff

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":29q521v3 said:
Formations/schemes where you see pre-snap and say “oh $&@%!, this isn’t going to end well.

Offense: the empty set (no RB) on 3rd down. You are telegraphing to the defense “we are passing”, and opposing defenses pin their ears back and blitz, which usually amounts to an epic failure and a punt. A low percentage play.

Honorable mention offense:

The “and long” draw play. Usually happens after a penalty or a sack when you are behind the sticks. It usually gets 4 yards or less which isn’t good enough of a chunk when you need 20 yards for a first down. A wasted play.

Defense:

I dont mind empty on 3rd at all, except when they motion to stupid fullback out of the backfield as the 5th WR.

But empty set before on short yardage?

That one gives me brain bleeds.

McGruff

Reaction score
And Holmgren was the master of the 3rd and long draw. Usually to Mack Strong of peoplr.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Victory formation by the other team is my least favorite.

chris98251

Reaction score
Prevent defense, a team is going to get chunks of underneath yards, done too early and they score and typically just need a second score to be in striking distance.

Now you ask the defense to go back to their normal defense and they have lost the momentum, the defense is pissed because you had them in prevent when what they were doing was working.

Just kills the whole attitude the defense was spending all game inflicting on the offense now that they thijk they can score.

Also is why Wilson has had a lot of come from behind victories.

Fade

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2dgiegzs said:
Sports Hernia":2dgiegzs said:
Defense:

This is something that usually happens at the end of games when you are leading by multiple scores. The object is to prevent a big play and keep them in bounds. It isn't really a defense per se.

You are right Dome Hawk on how it should be used, but Gus Bradley turned it into an art form of how to blow a 4th qtr lead.

Gus would routinely go soft zone while nursing a 1 score lead, he loved it.

@ Hernia

On Offense going empty on 3rd and short is inexcusable. With Bevell gone I thought those days were over, and then it still happened, multiple times, it is a Pete Carroll thing I guess.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":37if9wxc said:
Offense: the empty set (no RB) on 3rd down. You are telegraphing to the defense “we are passing”, and opposing defenses pin their ears back and blitz, which usually amounts to an epic failure and a punt. A low percentage play.........

This X1000

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The pistol formation on offense.

Outside the final play of the 2015 NFCCG, that formation typically leads to failure.

Another: 3rd or 4th down, 2 or less to go, and the running back is 7 yards behind the LOS in the I formation, and you give him the ball, risking a loss. The lack of QB sneaks with Wilson is frustrating.

On defense, playing off coverage on 3rd and 5 or less. Basically giving the opposition an easy pitch and catch to move the chains. I hate that.
Play some bump and run and mess up the timing.

McGruff

Reaction score
Jerhawk":5safp6ic said:

Outside the final play of the 2015 NFCCG, that formation typically leads to failure.

Another: 3rd or 4th down, 2 or less to go, and the running back is 7 yards behind the LOS in the I formation, and you give him the ball, risking a loss. The lack of QB sneaks with Wilson is frustrating.

On defense, playing off coverage on 3rd and 5 or less. Basically giving the opposition an easy pitch and catch to move the chains. I hate that.

In order to get 2 yards on a sneak, you have to be at least 2 yards tall.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":29xb501a said:
Jerhawk":29xb501a said:

Lol, good point.

Too bad Wilson can't just jump and reach like Brees does all the time

Maulbert

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1fzfa47l said:
McGruff":1fzfa47l said:
Jerhawk":1fzfa47l said:

Lol, good point.

Too bad Wilson can't just jump and reach like Brees does all the time

Hasselbeck was 6'4" and Holmgren never called for a sneak. He treated QB's like they were delicate little flowers.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Actually he did. He called a sneak from the 1 yard line and kept Alexander from tying for the rushing title that year.

xray

Reaction score
HawkGA":1ho796hm said:
xray":1ho796hm said:
The punt formation .

No way. Dickson is awesome and fun to watch!

Not what I meant....when we are forced to punt...I don't like that...get it ?

AgentDib

Reaction score
An easy insight is that when you have a QB who is a threat to run, opposing defenses must at least respect that and cannot simply ignore gap control like posters here have suggested.

McGruff

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":14pk7oqo said:
https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/212229/how-russell-wilson-seahawks-destroy-defenses-with-empty-set

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat- ... backfields

It's a myth that empty backfield is a low percentage play. Just because it telegraphs something to the defense doesn't mean it makes things simple for the defense.

Empty backfield has a place for sure.

Pretty certain 3rd and short isnt it though.