Film Study: What went wrong against the Rams

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Samuel Gold criticized Wilson from the Giants game in his previous analysis. Here's his analysis for the Rams game:

[youtube]HMF3gB1MLvk[/youtube]

John63

Reaction score
Scorpion05":gde4vi4x said:
Samuel Gold criticized Wilson from the Giants game in his previous analysis. Here's his analysis for the Rams game:

[youtube]HMF3gB1MLvk[/youtube]

Pretty much the story of most of the losses' failure to adapt

keasley45

Reaction score
Great post and great study. Although I was lost a bit as to the summary that at the end of day the fault was schottenheimer's. Seems it was both being slow to adapt and simply not reading the defense quickly enough and hitting the open player. Seems to me if we had done that, we might be playing this weekend.

There's also a great piece in the Athletic on the Hawks offense this season by Schiel Kapadia. He points out via factual analysis and stats that contrary to popular belief the hawks didn't dial back the pass as much as is believed - that we still threw it around oretty frequently, particularly on early downs. Just nor as effectively. One notable decline was on deep attempts and completions. One other interesting tidbit was Wilson's rating while NOT under pressure/ aka a clean pocket with time to throw was worse in the second half of the season than the first. Also and this is even more glaring after watching this video - that Russell looked entirely confused for the entire game against the Rams.

So in a nutshell, we didn't go nearly full turtle overbtge second half, we still committed to passing but as in previous seasons when we start out hot over the first half and then collapse, the offense went mia.

Schiel makes no definitive assessment as to why the offense failed, but does state that so long as we don't crawl back into our conservative plodding, running game shell and rather, adopt a new attack that has a more dynamic ground game mixed with smart passing, that we should be able to fix what ails us. But going too vanilla likely won't work as well against contemporary defenses as it did even 5 years ago. It seems now to be the trend for defenses to do what was done to us and sit in high coverage and force offenses to settle for the short gains.

evergreen

Reaction score
Clearly Russ taking forever to process is the problem. I remember wondering earlier if he wasn't smart after a terrible grounding call. I love him but I can see warts too. Why would a future HOF QB need to take so freaking long in the huddle that's about two yards away from the line? And guess what happens when they hike with 10-15 seconds on the clock? Usually something good. I felt al little better about Russ sucking after that, but then maybe not. That one play where DK was open for 1/4 of the field and a 1st...

John63

Reaction score
evergreen":1gv5rt0f said:
Clearly Russ taking forever to process is the problem. I remember wondering earlier if he wasn't smart after a terrible grounding call. I love him but I can see warts too. Why would a future HOF QB need to take so freaking long in the huddle that's about two yards away from the line? And guess what happens when they hike with 10-15 seconds on the clock? Usually something good. I felt al little better about Russ sucking after that, but then maybe not. That one play where DK was open for 1/4 of the field and a 1st...

So the guy clearly saying adapting my oc was the main problem for u turns into Wilson is the main problem. Lol

Mizak

Reaction score
The Seahawks should adapt some of the Raiders offensive schemes into their offense. Ball control was top priority with Gruden when they were winning games.

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":2umdem3u said:
evergreen":2umdem3u said:

So the guy clearly saying adapting my oc was the main problem for u turns into Wilson is the main problem. Lol

Because it seems that us ' not adapting ' might not have ever been an issue if Russ completes a few easy passes as the plays were called. Seems like an odd assessment since had Russ made those several simple plays, we beat the defense, and the Rams, and there's no scrutiny over whether the pkaycalls were perfect. Seems they were good enough.

rsRyno

Reaction score
keasley45":2fc608tc said:
John63":2fc608tc said:
evergreen":2fc608tc said:

Because it seems that us ' not adapting ' might not have ever been an issue if Russ completes a few easy passes as the plays were called. Seems like an odd assessment since had Russ made those several simple plays, we beat the defense, and the Rams, and there's no scrutiny over whether the pkaycalls were perfect. Seems they were good enough.
When we win a lot of people like to pretend the issues don’t exist and simply say “but we won”. Issues eventually catch up, and they did this season.

OP
OP
Scorpion05

Scorpion05

Reaction score
keasley45":1c6pd0nq said:
John63":1c6pd0nq said:
evergreen":1c6pd0nq said:

I’m sorry, but it would be nice if the goal of these discussions was to evaluate the facts as they are.

The Rams were running a Cover 6 defense. Because of Schotty’s simplistic formation, which usually puts a single receiver (Metcalf) to the right and 3 receivers to the left, it was easy for the Rams to dictate Wilson’s reads. Metcalf would be immediately taken away because he was double or triple covered. And the defense would shift the rest of the coverage to the other side. Zero creativity. This, combined with pressure essentially meant Wilson would have to be EXTREMELY perfect to have below average success.

Unless we’re committed to criticizing Wilson at all costs. Which, again makes it seem like some of you have a personal problem with Wilson.

Fade

Reaction score
Film study? People on here have no interest in that, based on the views. They have their narrative, and they are going to die on that hill no matter what. :shock:

But yeah, it was so bad the Rams DBs were running the routes better than the Seahawks WRs. = Wilson's fault. When people come to those conclusions it makes it easier to know who not to take serious when they post. :2thumbs:

hawk45

Reaction score
I felt he emphasize the predictable backside DK route from trips formation and failed to deal at all with Wilson’s near interceptions to open routes in short/intermediate middle. Wilson’s limitations with the latter has been the story all year as to why we couldn’t beat 2 high looks (like brees is able to) and is why our only option now is to run more.

A masterful passing OC can absolutely help, but Pete won’t allow that. So any analysis predicted on the fix being to run a more complex and varied passing offense is a null program.

Schotty may have been part of the problem in that game, but his failure was to keep scheming open receivers short middle instead of accepting Wilson can’t or won’t hit them, and that we needed to run the ball more.

And yeah, don’t be so predictable with DK out of trips.

Also gold failed to observe that WR screens are typically most successful with a CB cushion. Wilson should have seen close quarters coverage on that play and adjusted.

hawk45

Reaction score
What gold did get right is the rams killing our OL with just four was the biggest factor by far.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks offensive issues were greatly exaggerated.

They played five top 5 defenses in their last 9 games. The only truly inexcusable clunker was to the Giants - but the rest, their offense was fine. It's kind of crazy that this needs to be said out loud, but offenses are going to struggle against the number one defense in the NFL, and Seattle happened to play that defense three times in their last 9 games.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The Rams' defense is only the best because it got to play the Seahawks offense.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
evergreen":fxm4l8o6 said:

It's easy to say russ should have thrown the ball to open Metcalf in the middle of the field. Even the film study guy said that play frustrated him. Hard to focus on your recievers with dlineman in your face. Watch that play again. I mean you can choice one or the other, but clearly the rams were getting to wilson and the oline
Wasnt really doing anything about it. The guy who made the video even said 20 pressures out of 36 pass attempts. With just 4 man rush against 5 blockers. Jeez

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I’ve said it before and I will say it again, 0-8
0-8 to start the game on 3rd down. Virtually impossible to get any offense going no matter what the philosophy is when you are walking off the field after every 3rd down. Hawks ran 14 fewer plays than the Rams and only had 1 less possession.

Latest posts