FieldGulls write up on 2014 defense cap and decisions

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I don't think Earl or Sherm are going to try to go for the highest paid in NFL history contracts. I think they're both smarter than the average bear and if they want to continue winning they can't break the team financially. They'll get big contracts sure, but I don't think they'll outright try to bury the Hawks as a team with their own contracts.

I actually believe the same to be true with RW. He'll be one of the higher paid QBs, but not the highest.

I don't know, I've been watching the NFL for a long time now and I just haven't seen the same level of team atmosphere and intelligence from really any other team. I hope I'm right anyway. Sort of like the Kam contract.

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
The team mentality is one thing, your own salary and earning potential in a fairly short window is another. This is a job and a business first and foremost.

Sherman and Thomas will be the highest paid at their positions. That doesn't mean that they won't sign deals that are "cap friendly" when considering front loading them, signing bonuses or guaranteed money, etc.

Russell won't be the highest paid QB because he doesn't produce like one. That honor is bestowed upon guys like Rodgers and Manning who are the sole reason their team wins and they rely on them a lot more than we rely on Russell. RW will still probably get 15-17m a year though is my guess.

A lot has been said on here about guys taking less to be on winning teams but I don't see it. Also the players union has some influence in this as it affects things like franchise tags and other players contracts because it's all about comparables and what your contemporaries make in regards to the market setting prices, etc.

We'll have to tighten our belts quite a bit more in the next few years but it's a good place to be in to have QB, FS (defensive leader and engine) and a lockdown CB secured for many years to come. First world problems, lol...

vin.couve12

Reaction score
jblaze":t5r05r30 said:
The team mentality is one thing, your own salary and earning potential in a fairly short window is another. This is a job and a business first and foremost.

Sherman and Thomas will be the highest paid at their positions. That doesn't mean that they won't sign deals that are "cap friendly" when considering front loading them, signing bonuses or guaranteed money, etc.

Russell won't be the highest paid QB because he doesn't produce like one. That honor is bestowed upon guys like Rodgers and Manning who are the sole reason their team wins and they rely on them a lot more than we rely on Russell. RW will still probably get 15-17m a year though is my guess.

A lot has been said on here about guys taking less to be on winning teams but I don't see it. Also the players union has some influence in this as it affects things like franchise tags and other players contracts because it's all about comparables and what your contemporaries make in regards to the market setting prices, etc.

We'll have to tighten our belts quite a bit more in the next few years but it's a good place to be in to have QB, FS (defensive leader and engine) and a lockdown CB secured for many years to come. First world problems, lol...

I don't necessarily disagree, but as you stated I do see more cap friendly contracts. I've never been a fool about the business side of football, but I don't see them trying to kill the team. I just don't. If you want to call if cap friendly I can go with that, but highest paid at their positions? I'm really not so sure. Could be, but I don't think it's a given.

JMHO with these particular players. This group of DBs is something I've never seen before. Not in overall play and not in terms of camaraderie either. They're even stronger because of each other and I think they're aware of it.

ivotuk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":pqyt8lls said:
Call me crazy, but I don't think Earl or Sherm are going to try to go for the highest paid in NFL history contracts. I think they're both smarter than the average bear and if they want to continue winning they can't break the team financially. They'll get big contracts sure, but I don't think they'll outright try to bury the Hawks as a team with their own contracts.

I actually believe the same to be true with RW. He'll be one of the higher paid QBs, but not the highest.

I don't know, I've been watching the NFL for a long time now and I just haven't seen the same level of team atmosphere and intelligence from really any other team. I hope I'm right anyway. Sort of like the Kam contract.

I think you're spot on. These guys are having too much fun to try and hamstring the party. That, and they know how PC & JS operate, they reward you when you earn it, but you can be replaced.

Now they could go to a team like Tampa Bay and get paid a ton of money, but then life would suck. It takes more than money to be happy, just ask the rich guy/gal who is married to a shrew.

Besides, the IRS and State take so much out in taxes that there is probably a point of diminishing return. If you get an extra 2 million per year, how much of that will you actually see?

themunn

Reaction score
Financial future is one thing, but these guys are likely aware that their financial future is set with just 1 year of a big contract. After that it's just a bonus.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I enjoyed the other two articles in this series as well but was really looking forward to seeing what he had to say about the defense. Reasonable predictions in my mind though I wonder if they might be willing to let Zack go on offense in order to sign and keep Sherm happy. That, or franchise Zack who they probably will look to replace with a high draft pick in 2015?

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
The only reason Rookies coming out of their first contracts will have a hard time getting the "biggest ever" is due to the prospect of either playing year 4 for their rookie salary, or taking less than the "biggest ever" in order to make 10 million more that season. If they turn down that big of a pay raise for more the following year, it would take several years just to break even. I expect it to be a big bargaining chip for the teams, but it will also be great for players since they get paid a year earlier.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":2ma6e0ks said:
I enjoyed the other two articles in this series as well but was really looking forward to seeing what he had to say about the defense. Reasonable predictions in my mind though I wonder if they might be willing to let Zack go on offense in order to sign and keep Sherm happy. That, or franchise Zack who they probably will look to replace with a high draft pick in 2015?

There's a college TE in Seattle that could replace Zach. Obviously not outright right away in terms of assignment correct and superior blocking, but he's built to be that all around primary TE.

If you let Zach go you draft one and have Willson, McCoy (who I thought would really contribute this year), draft pick, and possibly even Davis duke it out for spots 1-3 and tell them what they do is what hey earn.

It's not the security blanket that is Zach Miller, but he's far too expensive.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Actually, I don't want to get too far into this line of thinking right now so I'm out. It's not offseason.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
vin.couve12":18srpa7t said:

My last recollection regarding team "intelligence" had the Patriots ahead of the pack. That is why they have remained one of the best consistently in the NFL. Now, the Hawks have some smart players, lets hope that an "understanding" can be arranged after the season closes.

Jville

Reaction score
Three points

#1 Unfortunately, there is the possibility of the "Hutchinson Effect" possibly wrecking the signing of both Thomas and Sherman.

#2 When the team signed Chris Clemons to his current contract, he was a full time player on the field for about 98% of defensive snaps. That has changed. This year there are no full time defensive linemen and that includes Cliff Avril and Chris Clemons. Contrast that with cap numbers of $9.25 mil for 53% of snaps and $9.67 mil for 55% of snaps which seem excessive (to me) for a couple of rotational defensive ends.

#3 The Field Gulls articles are a bit premature.

Cartire

Reaction score
I think in the next few years, your gonna see the average contract of star players drop unless the cap is significantly increased. It's becoming more and more apparent to GM's and owners that you just can't introduce these toxic cap killing contracts and have a legitimate shot at a title. Do I think that ET, Sherman and Wilson will bend over and take it up the rear all in the name of team dynamics, no. But I don't think Sherman and ET will be getting $12+/yr. And I defiantly don't think Wilson will get anymore then $15-16.