Fieldgulls - new angle on Wilson talks (multiple sources)

erik2690

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3ehvje1t said:
Whats wrong with asking? Honest question.....

Guys it's not even July 1 yet. We're still months away from the season.

This is a super important point that is somehow underplayed. Why in the world would he accept anything right now even if they were really close? I see why reports would indicate they aren't close, but let's play hypothetical. Even if they were his incentive to sign before training camp is almost nothing. The offer can only really go up. It makes any hand wringing before then kinda pointless because we won't get any true new info I don't think until he either doesn't or does sign by the beginning or end of camp. Maybe I'm thinking about it too narrowly, but I think it should at least be considered that 'Why hasn't he signed yet' for at least a little bit seems pointless. His caving or not caving or the teams doing the same isn't put to any test until camp and the season is an even more solid "deadline", not a true deadline but as close as we get this year.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
I love Russell Wilson but this off season is making me hate hearing/seeing his name, unless it's attached to the words "DEAL COMPLETE" :smilie=angry016.gif:

HommyHawk

Reaction score
The irony is that if he makes history as a player it could cost him when he is a future owner....(mind blown) :shock:

kearly

Reaction score
For starters, nobody really knows what the negotiations are like, it's all hearsay. Having it come from 'multiple sources' doesn't change the fact that everyone is guessing.

I call BS on this. Most high end quarterbacks sign deals with HUGE signing bonuses, that are 100% guaranteed without condition. Big Ben just signed a deal like that a few months ago ($31 million signing bonus). It is more likely than not that Seattle is offering Wilson a deal with a big signing bonus, and if they are not, that is their mistake.

And when was the last time an elite QB cared about guaranteed money? If you are Jay Cutler or maybe a gimpy Tony Romo, you'd care obviously, but most QBs know that they have massive job security and really have little reason to care about guaranteed dollars.

Now if for some reason Wilson is taking crazy pills and he's asking for a deal that's mostly or fully guaranteed, then that's on him. But Wilson doesn't strike me as an idiot. He has to know that for QBs quaranteed money means very little, it's all about pay per year and how much of it is a mirage and how much isn't.

I find it very hard to believe that AYP isn't the sticking point. If theoretically Wilson was willing to take $20 million AYP in exchange for a high percentage of guaranteed dollars, Seattle would be nuts to pass on that.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":16hplbmg said:
People should be mad at the agent, not Russ, but oh well.

The agent works for Wilson. To think Wilson isn't aware of what is going on involving his agent and the negotiations then to say not to be mad at Wilson is amusing.

erik2690

Reaction score
I have no evidence of this and reports don't indicate they are super close to a deal, but from RW's side it makes total sense to wait until the last minute (beginning of camp, end of camp, beginning of season) because the deal can only really go up. Part of the leverage he has is them not really wanting to use a tag if possible next year and the idea that demands would only rise with another good season. That's part of his leverage, so you play that card for as long as possible to up the deal and then sign right before taking on the risk of playing with little guaranteed money. I'm not saying this is a true scenario, in fact reports would make it sound more like RW's side has a number and aren't budging, but it seems to me like a plausible scenario and reports are just that, not necessarily 100% true. I guess my point is no matter what is truly happening signing until at least right before camp seems unlikely as the deal likely can't do anything but go up from here. Just something consider over the next few weeks of worrying lol

BadgerVid

Reaction score
kearly":1m8ibzpx said:
For starters, nobody really knows what the negotiations are like, it's all hearsay. Having it come from 'multiple sources' doesn't change the fact that everyone is guessing.

I call BS on this. Most high end quarterbacks sign deals with HUGE signing bonuses, that are 100% guaranteed without condition. Big Ben just signed a deal like that a few months ago ($31 million signing bonus). It is more likely than not that Seattle is offering Wilson a deal with a big signing bonus, and if they are not, that is their mistake.

And when was the last time an elite QB cared about guaranteed money? If you are Jay Cutler or maybe a gimpy Tony Romo, you'd care obviously, but most QBs know that they have massive job security and really have little reason to care about guaranteed dollars.

Now if for some reason Wilson is taking crazy pills and he's asking for a deal that's mostly or fully guaranteed, then that's on him. But Wilson doesn't strike me as an idiot. He has to know that for QBs quaranteed money means very little, it's all about pay per year and how much of it is a mirage and how much isn't.

I find it very hard to believe that AYP isn't the sticking point. If theoretically Wilson was willing to take $20 million AYP in exchange for a high percentage of guaranteed dollars, Seattle would be nuts to pass on that.

With the O line he plays behind, I wouldn't blame him for wanting a sizable amount guaranteed for injury...

Tical21

Reaction score
kearly":uotk6ony said:

Yep, I fully agree that there is no way this is about the guarantees. Russell is going to see every dime unless he chooses to restructure, and everybody in the room knows it. This is all about total dollars. And the wheelhouse shouldn't be difficult to figure out. The only way this continues to linger is if one side is being unreasonable. If I'm the Seahawks, I feel absolutely sick to my stomach breaking my mold for one player, and 20 APY is a really tough pill to swallow, but I probably have to go there, or up to 22 to get it done. If I'm Russell, I'm trying to get 22/23. Any more than that is just being a burrito. I don't see what the possible holdup is at this point.

Schadie001

Reaction score
First off, the Seahawks have a plan and a system for signing and paying players. Pete and John have been nothing but consistent on this issue. They are NOT going to break that system and in essence mortgage the entire team into a Russell Wilson contract and they don't have to. Wilson is essentially under contract for three more years. He plays out this year and then can be exclusively franchise tagged for 2 more. They would be complete idiots to give him what he is asking for knowing that he can't go anywhere for 3 more years. Pete and John are not idiots. There is a reason they haven't caved and won't cave; because it would be a rookie move to do so.

This is a business and you don't get to the top of any business by completely scrapping your model the second someone tries to demand this or that. The Seahawks have the complete upper hand in this, they know Russell is there for at least 3 years. Those who are in panic mode already need not be. Wilson is going no where.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Also, if a RW deal doesn't get done this year, the $10 million (-BWagz signing bonus) cap space will get rolled over to next year as well to cushion the $20 mill hit of the franchise tag. We've got nothing but time, folks, and I don't think there's hard feelings on either side. Russ wants to be an owner someday, so he's getting a great look at the business side of things right now.