ET III ( in his own words)

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It isn’t as if Earl lives in the real world. These guys have lost perspective.

mikeak

Reaction score
I love how some argue that the teams can break a contract but a player can’t sit out

They are both options under how the CBA and contracts are structured. They are both part of the business options that the NFL is. One can say that the team should NOT give Earl money while at the same time understand his position. It becomes a game of chicken. To me the likely outcome is he comes back a few games into the season to keep eligibility for this year. The losers will be Seahawks if this happens. Pay him most of he money, get a player not ready and lose games.

One way around it is to tell Earl that if he doesn’t report the team will Franchise him. Thereby forcing him to play two one to one year deals increasing the risk for no long term contract. Now you combine getting older with the injury risk. If he reports now then he limits his exposure. He may not be happy but may still realize he is out of options

lobohawk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":82d83brl said:
GeekHawk":82d83brl said:
So, people (famous rich people, that is) get ridiculous insurance policies all the time - why can't a team put an injury insurance in a contract? Then not be liable against the salary cap for the insurance payout in case it's needed? Seems like a win-win-win to me (gotta throw Lloyd's of London in the win column too since I imagine they don't actually lose $$ on those aforementioned ridiculous insurance policies...)

Insurance policies are based on % of chance the event insured happens. The likelihood of an injury in the NFL that ends a career is probably quite high (as opposed to life insurance when you're 35 or 40), thus the insurance would cost nearly the same amount as the actual settlement.

From this article...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...d-the-unregulated-world-of-player-protection/

“The policies bought by his parents cover him for $10 million in total disability in the event of a career-ending injury and $10 million for circumstances that would lead to him falling from his projected NFL draft spot.
These days, you cannot typically purchase one without the other even if you wanted to. And when premiums run approximately $8,000 per $1 million of coverage, there's a lot of money going around even if the covered player finishes his career with no more than a hangnail.”

If that note is close to accurate for this case, at that rate it’d be $400,000 for $50,000,000.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
There is nothing he can say to legally validate his argument. You signed a FRONT loaded contract for which you have been paid! At this juncture I don't even want him on this team anymore.

kf3339

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2vc5g0bg said:
Earl, I’m not buying it.

Feed the kids? Security? Whatever?

You are just another self important, self entitled, egotistical athlete. Yes you have genuine talent, and of course you have a contract that would have paid you $8.5 million for the year, you agreed to that deal. Likely you would have got a new deal until you got lame advice from your agent, or your ego got in the way of your thinking. The Cowboys ain’t buying, and I think you can feed the kids on that not so inconsequential annual income. Of course that now will be decreased by the amount of the fines the team should take from it and your bonus money.

Hope the fines bite, have fun not playing. No team would be stupid enough to trade for you with your me, me, me attitude. Further, face it, the market has changed for your position and you have seen what happens to the cap of your team when large guaranteed contracts have to be paid to an injured player.

If you are actually worried about your security due to the injury risk of playing a violent sport, buy some insurance, but stop the BS b/c it’s nonsense.

I will be disappointed if the team gives in to you, they’ve honoured their side of your deal with them and treated you with respect, you on the other hand haven’t. At this stage I wouldn’t want you here until you are ‘all in’ and you certainly aren’t.

The point about buying his own injury insurance is the one part you "DON'T" hear players stating when these things come up. It would be so easy for them to take a small part of "THEIR" signing bonus and protect themselves during that contract. As for the future contract it's simple.

HONOR YOUR WHOLE CONTRACT.

The team did by paying the entire part of the quaranteed amount on their end. But of course players like ET have blinders on with that point, which is why I will never side with these childish tantrums from players.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think it is understandably frustrating to be told by the team they aren't interested in extending his deal. The only option the team gave him is to come and play the final year of his deal.

But he refuses to come to grips that the only real option he has is to show up and play ball.

Consider that Aaron Donald might be the best non-QB player in the league, and he's being told to come to camp and play for $1.8M. Things could be worse.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I think its safe to say this letter that was suppose to win over the fans and elicit some sympathy, didn't work.

toffee

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":14jl0j45 said:
I think its safe to say this letter that was suppose to win over the fans and elicit some sympathy, didn't work.

This!

TwilightError

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":lp5zvfok said:

No it did not work. He has signed a contract that includes this season, he is not being done anything wrong by not extending the contract right now. Even if the Seahawks would have wanted to sign him up for one more year, they can't do that now knowing full well this same show would be on their doorstep next year. And giving a multi year extension for a 30 year old (soon) whose game relies on speed is just not smart business, unless the contract has very low guarantees and that is not going to sit well with Earl. Whining in the press for only getting 8.5 mil this year is not something that elicits any sympathy from many. It just makes it look like the player has lost his sense of reality by having been paid so much already.

Thomas is one of those players, who are so much better than almost anyone at his position that teams can take a risk by making a 'too long' contract, but that only makes sense if they feel they will compete right now. I dont think the Seahawks are in a position to risk anything from the future for an aging player, just for being able to fantasize about win now in the middle of a rebuild.

And its not the Seahawks who are to blame for the fact that Thomas does not have the trade value which would make the trade a reasonable option. Although that might change if one of the contenders lose a starting free safety to injury during preseason. If they get good value, a trade could be the best option for both sides. But right now the value is clearly not there. And this whining does not make Earl a more desirable player in the eyes of other teams.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2ar4opq6 said:

Players will never learn that when push comes to shove fans are going to take their team's side.

Love Earl, but he's just another player in a long line of players that are under the illusion that they're part of the working class fighting against The Man............when in reality no working class fan will ever be sympathetic to millionaires fighting with billionaires over more millions.

12thbrah

Reaction score
His beef really should be with the CBA and NFLPA who put the players and teams in these situations. No wonder teams can't hang onto their stars anymore.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
12thbrah":2z0emp6t said:
His beef really should be with the CBA and NFLPA who put the players and teams in these situations. No wonder teams can't hang onto their stars anymore.
Care to elaborate?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
12thbrah":3mdhm3o4 said:

Earl wasn't beefing when he signed his 40M contract in 2015 with 25M guaranteed, 10M bonus and would see every penny of the 40M if he showed up to camp and played the entire season.

But HE'S chosen to go the holdout route demanding a new contract..............when all he has to do is come in, ball out and show the rest of the league that he's healthy and productive.

THAT'S how he can squeeze another extension out of the league. It's sure as hell not by holding out, not playing and keeping all the injury prone and age/production questions in eternal limbo.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep. ET needs to get his ass into camp and show the world he still has it. Then after this season let the chips fall how they may.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What Largent said.........
He wasn't complaining one bit when he got that huge contract. Now a few years later, he's being "disrespected"
I love me some Earl, but enough already. Get back to work.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2q1at4mq said:
12thbrah":2q1at4mq said:

Earl wasn't beefing when he signed his 40M contract in 2015 with 25M guaranteed, 10M bonus and would see every penny of the 40M if he showed up to camp and played the entire season.

But HE'S chosen to go the holdout route demanding a new contract..............when all he has to do is come in, ball out and show the rest of the league that he's healthy and productive.

THAT'S how he can squeeze another extension out of the league. It's sure as hell not by holding out, not playing and keeping all the injury prone and age/production questions in eternal limbo.

Not good enough for Earl! He needs security for his family. What if he gets injured this year? How is he going to collect millions of $$ for sitting in the tub rehabing and crying in his drink about retirement?

That is his mentality, he wants to know he can rape the team (any team...money all spends the same) for $$ if he gets injured this season. :pukeface:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":ynaa0bz9 said:
Sgt. Largent":ynaa0bz9 said:
12thbrah":ynaa0bz9 said:

Not good enough for Earl! He needs security for his family. What if he gets injured this year? How is he going to collect millions of $$ for sitting in the tub rehabing and crying in his drink about retirement?

That is his mentality, he wants to know he can rape the team (any team...money all spends the same) for $$ if he gets injured this season. :pukeface:

I get that, and it's a common refrain from players when looking for another extension in their last year.

The problem for Earl is he has no leverage, and that's what it takes to force a team's hand on giving in to your contract demands.

Look around the league, all the great defensive stars aren't getting what they want. If guys in their prime like Mack and Donald can't get extensions, why the hell would Earl and his agent think he can?

It's insanity to me. Get your ass in camp, have an all pro year, and then there absolutely will be teams interested in giving you an extension............maybe not an Eric Berry-esque extension, but certainly better than losing half your 2018 salary in holdout fines and missed game checks.

rcaido

Reaction score
I get why ET is doing this, this will be pretty much his last contract. Cant fault the guy, its his last year not like Kam's holdout.

I would love for him to play one more year for us but its not looking like it. Im also torn if he does come back whatever week should he get his starting job back? If not, do we just trade him then. Do we play him to ball out and get a nice comp pick or do we franchise him....

I really feel sorry for Earl in such a bad timing on his contract situation. His agent should know better.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Holding out, under the current rules, is irrational behavior. He is hurting himself, racking up fines and degrading his own stock, and hurting his team. You can count on one hand the number of players who have continued a holdout into the season, under the current CBA.

He says “extend me or trade me,” but both things become less likely with a holdout. Seahawks are not going to set the bad precedent that would encourage future players to hold the team hostage for the unlikely possibility of greater financial gain. It also means he is not on the field proving he is as good, and as committed to football, as he ever has been. Duane Brown rocked it during the workouts and practices — and ended up with an extension.

No team will trade for him because they know he could continue his holdout after the trade. That means not only do the Seahawks have to accomplish the hard task of agreeing to terms with a trade partner, but Earl would also need to come to terms on an extension with that trade partner for a trade to make sense. That is a high bar with a minuscule chance of actually happening. Seahawks are forced to sit on his contractual rights (and continue to fine him) until he decides to show up.

AgentDib

Reaction score
You have to factor personal ego and feelings into these decisions. Few people are rational about separating past performance from future pay in their own careers and athletes have the same blind spot.

Hutch felt slighted by us and opted to play elsewhere for the exact same contract even though he had been successful here. Okung felt slighted and took a cheap one year deal elsewhere that was likely not better than what we were offering. Duane Brown held out last season but then not only showed up to play under the same contract when the Hawks traded for him, but continued to show up this off-season without a single word about holding out. His animosity was with the Texans because he felt he deserved a big contract based on a long and successful career, and that animosity usually sticks to a player's existing team or an employee's existing company.

Reading between the lines, Earl has been mentally on his way out for a while now. The way that he says in this article that many of the LoB did not end well in Seattle, the way that he was expecting Seattle to "kick him to the curb" with 1.5 years still on his contract, his comments about previous Seahawks but not current Seahawks. I think it started about money when his camp probably asked about an extension last off-season and were turned down, but at this point Earl really does want to be elsewhere and wouldn't sign for a similar deal here if a more desirable team was offering the same.

Latest posts