Dumbest Non-Futch moves that Ruskell made in Hawks history

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Where is Ruskell these days? Anybody know?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Aros":dyd0v2oc said:

I know he was with the Bears and lost out for their new GM job when they had all their turnover. According to Wikipedia, he was hired as a scout with the Titans last year.

sc85sis

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3h8dibwn said:
Aros":3h8dibwn said:
I know he was with the Bears and lost out for their new GM job when they had all their turnover. According to Wikipedia, he was hired as a scout with the Titans last year.
Poor Titans.

seatownboy

Reaction score
Ruskell was building the right way brick by brick, we just didn't get too see it finally work out. He just needed another 15 years and a plague to wipe out the rest of the teams.

rastahawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":pnz3aw8g said:
HawkFan72":pnz3aw8g said:
Aros":pnz3aw8g said:
Poor Titans.

No kidding. Not only did they have Peyton Manning in their division for a decade. Then along comes Andrew Luck. Now Timmay is scouting for them.

Sturm

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2wgf96gq said:
In the first round, he was notoriously horrible: Chris Spencer, Kelly Jennings, Josh Wilson, Laurence Jackson, and Aaron Curry, none of whom lasted long after his tenure, and arguably none of whom would make the 53-man roster. And those are FIRST ROUNDERS!

Josh Wilson was a 2nd round pick.

blue 22

Reaction score
If i ever see ruskall I am going to give him one of these...

Wwe flairlowblow display image

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Sturm":23ma88lw said:
Seahawk Sailor":23ma88lw said:
In the first round, he was notoriously horrible: Chris Spencer, Kelly Jennings, Josh Wilson, Laurence Jackson, and Aaron Curry, none of whom lasted long after his tenure, and arguably none of whom would make the 53-man roster. And those are FIRST ROUNDERS!

Josh Wilson was a 2nd round pick.

Ah yea, I skimmed the chart too quickly. Either way, he was our first pick that year, and the first round pick was that Seattle touchdown machine known as Deion Branch. Stellar move for Ruskell no matter how you slice it.

legend38

Reaction score
Ruskell was a douche but I always liked Josh Wilson and thought he would make a great safety.

Snohomie

Reaction score
Hard not to look at the Curry pick. Even if he was the player Ruskell hoped he would be, it was an awful pick with nightmarish salary cap ramifications. But, everyone makes dumb draft picks from time to time.

Julius Jones was one of those moves that looked incredibly stupid at the time, and was indeed incredibly stupid.

I'll also throw Deon Grant. Not the dumbest, because he was actually a decent player, but we paid a shitload for a player with a very average skillset.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Snohomie":2scukuf7 said:
Hard not to look at the Curry pick. Even if he was the player Ruskell hoped he would be, it was an awful pick with nightmarish salary cap ramifications. But, everyone makes dumb draft picks from time to time.

Julius Jones was one of those moves that looked incredibly stupid at the time, and was indeed incredibly stupid.

I'll also throw Deon Grant. Not the dumbest, because he was actually a decent player, but we paid a shitload for a player with a very average skillset.
Curry gave us the most expensive LB group in the NFL. In a 4-3. That is alot of money for no sacks.

But for the worst pick from Ruskell, I have to go with the long snapper Schmitt. A long snapper with a degenerative back in the 5th round. Holy shit.

bigcc

Reaction score
Everyone who didn't mention Branch is wrong..... we gave a good 1st for him, while the pats acquired Moss for a late 4th, who ended up putting up 1493/23..... no biggie

it was one of the worst trades when you look at the move made the same year in all of sporting history

HawkWow

Reaction score
Not tagging Hutch should have cost him his job...instantly. Caving into (probable) pressure of the fanbase, by re-signing Alexander, ranks high as well. Those two examples crippled us (IMO).

BadGuy711

Reaction score
There needs to be an article ranking these all. In hindsight, so many epic failures!

Agreed with everything on this list, and it is far from his worst move, but the way he signed Burleson to the immature poison pill with stupid numbers. He did it to look clever, but outside of Seattle no one paid attention to the contract getting adjusted and it just looked like he was completely overpaid in retaliation. Good one Tim.

kearly

Reaction score
I actually don't think Julius Jones was all that bad. From 2006 to 2010, our run blocking was steaming dog shit. Football Outsiders basically had it around the same ranking (near the very bottom of the league) each of those years. Shaun had 3.6 yards per carry behind it from 2006 to 2007 (and that was with a good passing attack). Marshawn Lynch had a woeful 3.5 yards per carry behind that line in 2010. Over two seasons, Jones had a 4.0 YPC behind that line, and that was during 2008 and 2009 when our passing offense was a complete joke. He wasn't great, but he was able maximize yardage in sub-optimal conditions, though he did struggle to produce in the red zone. His contract wasn't cheap but it didn't break the bank either. Really the worst thing about Jones was that it prevented Seattle from drafting a RB early in the draft, though they did get Forsett in the 6th round (2008) and very nearly drafted Arian Foster in the 7th round of 2009.

Which leads me to my nomination*: not drafting Arian Foster because he seemed less than enthused to be a Seahawk. Sure, that was more of a Jim Mora mistake, but TR could have over-ruled him, and didn't.

*(Hutch and Curry were the worst. Foster is just the worst one that hadn't been named yet. The long snapper is the dumbest looking screw up he had.)

I'm glad that I don't have to walk on eggshells talking about Tim Ruskell anymore. He really was terrible, but for a few years, that was a touchy subject. It probably still is a touchy subject in one particular neck of the woods.

Latest posts