Do you want Bevell gone?

The Outfield

Reaction score
I definitely don't want him gone before the season is over. But honestly, as long as we keep winning with him, I say keep him. Don't want to mess with success.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Sounds like Greg Roman may be available soon, hopefully we can land him if Bevell leaves.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
He is not as bad as this board makes him out to be. I don't want him gone. He isn't amazing but he doesn't suck either.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Yes. Darrell Bevell is a middle of the road offensive coordinator. Despite his meek presence his play calling is extreme. In some areas he looks like a genius, an innovator, in other areas he looks mediocre and flatout clueless. There is no inbetween with Darrell Bevell.

Bevell is a big picture guy, and this is why I think he might be okay as a head coach. I think his game plans are imaginative, and filled with outside of the box thinking. He's a chess player, he understands the opposing defenses weakness and if need be he'll spend the whole game setting up certain plays that take maximum advantage of the opposing teams nature. You can just tell that he spends a lot of time watching game film, he is able to exploit even the most mundane behavior tendencies of certain teams. That is not a quality that you see in many offensive coordinators.

Unfortunately the fact that he is a chess player is also his most glaring weakness. Like a chess game, his play calling is slow developing. His goal is to control the middle of the board so to speak, and he places his pieces very carefully, and very deliberately like any chess player would so that he will set himself up for the mid game phase of chess. This translates to an offense that sputters for the first half, sometimes for three quarters. He spends too much time setting up his gambets, implementing his plots, and plans -- this translates to an offense that can't get out of its own way for at least one quarter.

What Bevell will do is call the same plays over, and over again, give very obvious looks and run with a tepid, predictable bland offense, then he'll start to capitalize around the second half. He will lull the defense into complacency, and then suddenly his offense will spring to life almost miraculously when the defense finally decides to take his gambit. That is what this offense is; a giant gambit.

Darrell Bevell sticks to the game plan even when it doesn't work. He doesn't know how or flat out refuses to adapt to the situation. This also means that his situational awareness is almost non existent. His play calling becomes hilariously bad on third and short, and goal line situations. He tries to use a scalpel when the situation requires a meat cleaver or visa versa. This leads to a middle of the road offensive coordinator.

Bevell is a genius in some aspects of the game, but sadly that is also his greatest shortcoming as an offensive coordinator. Strictly as in game planning he is one of the best there is, but when his desktop theories get tested in the real world they lead to mediocre results. Real games involve adjustments and situational awareness, both qualities he doesn't have. If Bevell was not the chess player that he is, he would be one of the worst offensive coordinators in the league. This is why he is a mediocre offensive coordinator and why he could possibly be a great head coach.

Mojambo

Reaction score
I'm afraid that a new offensive coordinator would come in and try and change Russell Wilson into something he's not.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Mojambo":p8j4tu08 said:
I'm afraid that a new offensive coordinator would come in and try and change Russell Wilson into something he's not.
Pete wouldn't allow that

12thManNorth

Reaction score
When you're the #1 running team in the league, and your fanbase is terrified when it's 3rd or 4th and short, it's time to get a new OC

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is Pete's team. Period.

Every facet of the offense, defense and special teams is run how Pete wants it run. If Pete wanted a high flying throw the ball 50 times a game offense, then that's what Bevell would call.

But Pete doesn't want that, he wants a ball control misdirection high completion percentage eat up as much clock as possible and then take a couple shots per game type of offense that suits his RB and QB..........so that's what Bevell calls.

So do I want Bevell gone? He's fine, he works well with Russell and Pete. So I'd prefer he stay because we just won the SB and I'd rather not rock the boat on an offense that works well within what Pete wants to do.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
I'm conflicted on him right now. Pretty much the only time I've been consistently disappointed with his calls was this year when Percy was on the field. Getting rid of percy, they had to change their entire offense that they worked on in training camp, mid season. So I'm not sure what to think about the offense we see today.

That said, I do think he is underrated (by the people that think he absolutely sucks), and I think he fits in Pete's system/philosophy well.

Hard to say

SonicHawk

Reaction score
He always seems at his worst early in a season and absolute *tilts* in the last part of the season and playoffs. So yes, sad to see him go.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Yep. Not a hater, but I don't think there's much to lose by getting in a new OC.

Though, at the same time, there probably wouldn't be a whole lot to gain either.

Meh.

pehawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":heqkjgkd said:
Yep. Not a hater, but I don't think there's much to lose by getting in a new OC.

Though, at the same time, there probably wouldn't be a whole lot to gain either.

Meh.

"Not bad enough to fire yet not good enough to ever be hired as an OC...Darrell Bevell is the Andy Dalton of OC's" ~ Kearly (aka Chip Tardybeer). Perfect god damn analogy.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I want him to go.. but not to Wisconsin. That means we'd be handing the OC reins over to Carl Smith or Cable for the most important part of the year.

Let Bevell sucker some poor NFL team into a job after we repeat.

rastahawk

Reaction score
There's a lot of ambivalence about Bevell. Every now and again a lot of our fan base settles for mediocrity because of the fear of complete failure. Those who do like him also admit he's just okay. In order to become a dynasty we have to think above just okay. I could sound of on a dozen things I don't like about Bevell but I want to keep this short. He is a recurring theme on losses, Wilson and our offensive play is stagnant, we get stood up goal line plays a bit too much, and we can't live off field goals forever. The O needs a new injection of life Bevell needs to go.

Latest posts