DK's Value

Own The West

Reaction score
McLaurin gets 3yr $70M
Kupp gets 3yr $80M

DK's catches/yards were similar to McLaurin's, but his TDs we top-5. Kupp of course had twice as many catches and yards and more TDs. I see these guys as DK's contract floor and ceiling.

Guaranteed money is everything, so perhaps we could get a better deal if went 5 yr $125M, $70M guaranteed. But I'm expecting more like 3yr $78M.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think we are waiting on Baker to land before we pull the trigger on DK. We can then either front load or backload his contract. I could see a 3 year $75 mil, or 4 year $100 would be good to just get this done.

sdog1981

Reaction score
He is much closer to McLaurin than Kupp. Three years 75 million would be a good deal.

QWERTY

Reaction score
IF AJ Brown had 4 years 100mill, then theres no way DK should get 25million average.

It's gonna be more like Tyreke's contract

4 years 120mill.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Baker Mayfield is where star wide receivers go to die. If Metcalf has had contact with either OBJ or Jarvis Landry, he's hoping for Drew Lock or Geno Smith.

OP
OP
Own The West

Own The West

Reaction score
I'd expect him to get more than $25M/per, but not more than Kupp's $27. Tyreke's contract is silly because the Dolphins have to overpay to get anyone to play there.

Back to McLaurin/Kupp, DK's homerun threat makes him more valuable than McLaurin even though their production has been similar, but he's not at Kupp's level yet.

Kupp went from a 100 catch, 1000 yd performer like DK; to a 150 catch, 2000 yd performer. That's a huge jump. DK's going to have to improve his route running and hands/concentration to reach that -- which is totally doable -- but he's not there yet.

QWERTY

Reaction score
I'd expect him to get more than $25M/per, but not more than Kupp's $27. Tyreke's contract is silly because the Dolphins have to overpay to get anyone to play there.

Back to McLaurin/Kupp, DK's homerun threat makes him more valuable than McLaurin even though their production has been similar, but he's not at Kupp's level yet.

Kupp went from a 100 catch, 1000 yd performer like DK; to a 150 catch, 2000 yd performer. That's a huge jump. DK's going to have to improve his route running and hands/concentration to reach that -- which is totally doable -- but he's not there yet.
The real reason why DK is so valuable is that QB's can actually throw the middle of the field. DK can catch the ball and Tuck the Secondary, just like how he did against the Niners.

sutz

Reaction score
Some good reading: https://www.fieldgulls.com/2022/6/2...dly-seattle-seahawks-washington-football-team

I still think it was fairly moronic to not get a deal done back before Tyreek's deal. But this isn't the first time. It's what led to Frank Clark getting traded and the Hawks having a talent void at pass rush for several years.
You do realize that there are two sides to this negotiation, right? There was no reason for DK's agent to cut a deal that favors the team before the market value is set, which requires seeing what other guys are getting. Both sides have reasons for what they done and why they've waited.

QWERTY

Reaction score
You do realize that there are two sides to this negotiation, right? There was no reason for DK's agent to cut a deal that favors the team before the market value is set, which requires seeing what other guys are getting. Both sides have reasons for what they done and why they've waited.

If the player wants a new contract, he will hold out just like how he is doing right now. DK wants a new contract, and if he doesn't get one he won't attend to any practices or camps.

nanomoz

Reaction score
They were supposedly close months ago. Weren't they? I could be wrong. But hasn't the timbre totally changed?
The price has gone up because they didn't get this done. It's irrefutable. They could have made him the highest-paid WR in the NFL February and it would look like a bargain right now.

You think DK and his agent wouldn't have taken that deal? I think that is mighty suspect.

Of course there's two sides. Of course there's obstacles.

There's also a lot of evidence to suggest a lack of foresight.

sutz

Reaction score
If the player wants a new contract, he will hold out just like how he is doing right now. DK wants a new contract, and if he doesn't get one he won't attend to any practices or camps.
We have no way of knowing he'll do that. And under the new CBA, he can't really. He may try to "hold in" like Wags did last year, but we'll see.

CDN_C_Hawk

Reaction score
If
McLaurin gets 3yr $70M
Kupp gets 3yr $80M

DK's catches/yards were similar to McLaurin's, but his TDs we top-5. Kupp of course had twice as many catches and yards and more TDs. I see these guys as DK's contract floor and ceiling.

Guaranteed money is everything, so perhaps we could get a better deal if went 5 yr $125M, $70M guaranteed. But I'm expecting more like 3yr $78M.

Extending 5 yrs after 2022 yr and 80 mil guaranteed will be good...means 21mil per yr for the next 6 years, but could mean a cap issue in 2027 if Hawks draft a franchise QB next year.

OP
OP
Own The West

Own The West

Reaction score
I doubt he'll play on his rookie salary this year (~$4M) that's leaving WAY too much money on the table. So expect an extension with a huge signing bonus before the season. Being young and cocky he might only go 1-2 years too in order to get Tyreke money sooner than later.

2027 seems like a million years off but assuming we grab a 1st round QB, we'd have 5 years of control which would put that off until 2028. Not that that means much other than we'll be looking at $90M/year instead of 85...

Latest posts