Deadspin article on the seahawks cheating

Will the officials let them play?

• Yes. It's the playoffs, refs know their role.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • No. Refs won't let the hawks control the game.

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • I'm oblivious to all of this.

Votes: 7 9.2%

• Total voters

Popeyejones

Reaction score
REALLY not trying to troll at all (sincerely), but just for clarity, do Hawks fans think:

a) This is not true

or

b) It is true but they just don't like people talking about it before a playoff game because they fear it will change the refs' behavior?

Big difference between those two. Again, not trying to debate if it's true or not and have no intention of doing so, I'm just sincerely curious.

OP
OP
Cartire

Cartire

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2c7dk7ir said:
REALLY not trying to troll at all (sincerely), but just for clarity, do Hawks fans think:

a) This is not true

or

b) It is true but they just don't like people talking about it before a playoff game because they fear it will change the refs' behavior?

Big difference between those two. Again, not trying to debate if it's true or not and have no intention of doing so, I'm just sincerely curious.

It's a smear campaign that so happens to be reported on just prior to our first playoff game.

And so everyone knows, you can have a hand on a WR after 5 yards as long as your not pulling or tugging. I wouldn't expect any journalist to know this though.

This whole thing smells of a tactic by the saints to influence the refs, aka just like Harbaugh.

NINEster

Reaction score
The timing of the article is suspect.

But can there now be acknowledgment that this isn't just a Harbaugh/49er thing? (as if that was such a big deal in the first place given that many around the league feel the same way)

Even taking a generic stance, one has to ask how in a pass happy league there can be a secondary full of high round draft picks that are suffocating receiver production? We're talking 1980s type shutdown secondaries.

The Seahawk front 7 is not a whole lot different in talent from SF, CAR, early season KC, CIN, etc. Nobody in that category is leaps and bounds better than the other.

Maybe Carroll is a genius and this is the new prototype for CB physical traits and play. In that case, teams will eventually adjust.

Over the next 2-3 years I suspect teams around the league will be coaching receivers on how to deal with the Hawks physical play and/or drafting different types of receivers altogether.

This is a league that adjusts very fast in the offseason. Should be interesting.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Popeyejones":30227ua0 said:
I'm just sincerely curious.

Nobody likes any pervasive attempt to create a negative narrative about their team. That's not terribly difficult to understand.

If there were suddenly 5 major media outlet stories today about how the 9ers D-line holds on every play because it's just their style and everyone is wondering if the playoff refs will let it go or call it... hopefully you get the point.

formido

Reaction score
NINEster":3p8ah2he said:
The timing of the article is suspect.

But can there now be acknowledgment that this isn't just a Harbaugh/49er thing? (as if that was such a big deal in the first place given that many around the league feel the same way)

Even taking a generic stance, one has to ask how in a pass happy league there can be a secondary full of high round draft picks that are suffocating receiver production? We're talking 1980s type shutdown secondaries.

The Seahawk front 7 is not a whole lot different in talent from SF, CAR, early season KC, CIN, etc. Nobody in that category is leaps and bounds better than the other.

Maybe Carroll is a genius and this is the new prototype for CB physical traits and play. In that case, teams will eventually adjust.

Over the next 2-3 years I suspect teams around the league will be coaching receivers on how to deal with the Hawks physical play and/or drafting different types of receivers altogether.

This is a league that adjusts very fast in the offseason. Should be interesting.

No one ever said it was just a Harbaugh thing. No one likes to admit another team is better than them. When a team gets good, people will always find a way to rationalize why they're not really that good, from Spygate to Bountygate to tactics like Justin Smith's holding. That's just the way it is. Harbaugh is particularly annoying because he's such a hypocritical whiner. We well remember his complaining when the Giants made a comment in the media about Smith's holding.

Decimation

Reaction score
Cheating? Seriously? That's just flat out pathetic and they need to quit reaching so hard.

Show respect to the 13-3 NFC West champ Hawks. Enough with the dumb excuses, we're a good team because we are talented and clutch.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":255dh51g said:
Popeyejones":255dh51g said:
I'm just sincerely curious.

If there were suddenly 5 major media outlet stories today about how the 9ers D-line holds on every play because it's just their style and everyone is wondering if the playoff refs will let it go or call it... hopefully you get the point.

Yeah, I definitely get the point, not least of which because that's a great example. :)
Right in time for the playoffs the national media had a field day on the 9ers holding over and over again on tha twist to generate pass rush.

FWIW for that I was personally in the "B" category: I knew it was true, I just didn't like everyone talking about it. :)

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I believe seahawks.net needs an entire section dedicated to the paranoia/slighted threads.

Primo

Reaction score
Once the Packers get eliminated from the playoffs then the refs can start calling games the way they should.

I've never seen a team in my entire life get away with the crap that the Packers do. And god forbid when they get burned like last year vs Seattle, it's Main Stream News and the end of the world.