Darrell Bevell OTA Press Conference 6/2/15

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
jammerhawk":20gin101 said:
He's our OC, personally think he's a blockhead, and am not especially fond of his calls on O and think he's not really as capable as the players he has make him look from time to time. Then there are moments when he should be axed as fast as he could be, and the team moves on to an OC who knows what he's doing situationally and knows the percentages of success, because there are times when it appears he sure doesn't.

For the record the call from the 1 in XLIX, was so galactically stupid it should have got him fired right after the game or shortly around then, and Bevell is lucky that PC took it on himself. I can't believe he got away with throwing one of him players under the bus when he called the play that ended the team's chances to win a consecutive SB, that move reflected his real character to me and isn't very flattering to him. I believe the team could do better.
This!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":29nqef0e said:
In any event, just glad Pete, who knows a little more than you geniuses, realizes that Bevell is an important part of his coaching staff and trusts him with the offense. That's all that really matters.
:34853_doh:
He is SO important that when he interviews for HC jobs he never gets them, UNLIKE his last 2 cohorts on the other side of the ball who have both landed HC gigs.

I guess every team that interviewed DB for a HC gig and didn't hire him are flaming morons in your eyes? You think maybe they know more than you possibly?

kearly

Reaction score
I've seen the last play of the Super Bowl probably 10 times now. It doesn't hurt anymore... it's like watching a piece of NFL history that just happened to involve the Seahawks. When that last play shows up on ESPN or NFL Network, I needn't look away.

But I couldn't bring myself to click that link. I can't help but feel that no real lesson was learned from that play, and that hurts way worse than the play itself. It's like the sports equivalent of losing a loved one to a senseless crime, and never getting justice for it.

Fade

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":17x35ud8 said:
In any event, just glad Pete, who knows a little more than you geniuses, realizes that Bevell is an important part of his coaching staff and trusts him with the offense. That's all that really matters.

anchorman-escalate.jpg

Pete keeps Bevell around because he is a yes man. BUT if he struggles this year with Lynch, Wilson, & Graham. He won't be here next year.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kearly":1465wxl4 said:
I've seen the last play of the Super Bowl probably 10 times now. It doesn't hurt anymore... it's like watching a piece of NFL history that just happened to involve the Seahawks. When that last play shows up on ESPN or NFL Network, I needn't look away.

But I couldn't bring myself to click that link. I can't help but feel that no real lesson was learned from that play, and that hurts way worse than the play itself. It's like the sports equivalent of losing a loved one to a senseless crime, and never getting justice for it.
I agree in the nothing learned part when it comes to that play and DB.
It's like Lloyd bringing in Fernando Rodney night after night and he keeps blowing leads, but he expects different results.
For the sake of all Hawks fans I hope DB DID learn from the 2nd and wrong, I would love to be wrong about that..

Fade

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch flippin' Bevell the bird is all you need to know about Bevell's playcalling.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1i9clbz4 said:
.........And it's convenient you point out last year's Super Bowl, but totally discount the offensive pounding we put on Denver in 48. That was Bevell too..........
Hey Darrell, you had little to do with the 48 the Hawks put up on Denver. A huge chunk of that was courtesy of one of the greatest defenses of all-time either directly or through setting up the O on short fields by creating turnovers.

PackerNation

Reaction score
Keep in mind, it was Darrell Bevell who brought Wilson to the Seahawks. Without him, you'd still be looking for a starting QB and most likely a trophy.

1 yard away from back to back Super Bowl victories. You don't fire guys like that. Especially given the talent on offense isn't all that stellar.

Fade

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2v56k995 said:
Siouxhawk":2v56k995 said:
.........And it's convenient you point out last year's Super Bowl, but totally discount the offensive pounding we put on Denver in 48. That was Bevell too..........
Hey Darrell, you had little to do with the 48 the Hawks put up on Denver. A huge chunk of that was courtesy of one of the greatest defenses of all-time either directly or through setting up the O on short fields by creating turnovers.

lol

Fade

Reaction score
PackerNation":3rnkda50 said:
Keep in mind, it was Darrell Bevell who brought Wilson to the Seahawks. Without him, you'd still be looking for a starting QB and most likely a trophy.

1 yard away from back to back Super Bowl victories. You don't fire guys like that. Especially given the talent on offense isn't all that stellar.

4DGkN

Schneider?

Bevell had nothing to do with it.

[youtube]HWB1QlEofuU[/youtube]

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
What's funny is that you all think you know much more than your really do. That is what is hilarious.

As far as Bevell getting a head coaching job .... What makes you think he was not the one who declined the job? Perhaps he wanted to stay with the Seahawks because he felt it was a good situation at his juncture of his career. Crazy thought ... maybe he likes it here ...

Lynch flipping the bird could have been anything. For starters, it's Marshawn, who beats to his own drummer about pretty much everything. If you think you're in the head of Marshawn, he'd be the first one to kick you out.

All I know is that I see some pretty fareweather Seahawk fans on here. I watched the Minnesota Vikings ship crumble because of unintelligent fans who whined and then got their way because the owner wanted to build a new stadium. How did that work out for them?

Luckily I know that the majority of true 12s don't stoop to the low level of taking snipes at any member of their coaching staff. They believe in the leadership assembled and have been treated to a pretty nice ride as of late. And the team as a whole is confident enough that they wouldn't buckle to this kind of knee-jerk pettiness.

PackerNation

Reaction score
Fade":327r1o4b said:
Schneider?

Bevell scouted him and brought it to their attention about how good Wilson was.

In 2012 off-season, Bevell was scouting quarterback Russell Wilson, who attended Wisconsin, his alma mater. Bevell attended Wilson's pro-day which very few NFL scouts attended. Through the off-season, the Seahawks obtained Green Bay Packers back-up quarterback Matt Flynn who experts thought was Bevell's choice of quarterback. Going into the 2012 NFL Draft it was thought Seattle was set at the quarterback position since they had Flynn and Tarvaris Jackson, but for whatever reason Seahawks decided to add one more, drafting Russell Wilson out of University of Wisconsin-Madison in the third round. Thoughts on selecting Wilson, Pete Carroll stated, "It was Bevell's project". In training camp the quarterback competition was thinned out between two, after Jackson was traded to the Buffalo Bills.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":93bbzsnm said:
..........Luckily I know that the majority of true 12s don't stoop to the low level of taking snipes at any member of their coaching staff. They believe in the leadership assembled and have been treated to a pretty nice ride as of late. And the team as a whole is confident enough that they wouldn't buckle to this kind of knee-jerk pettiness.
Aaaaaaaaand there's the "we're better fans than you card". Why don't you say what you really mean, that you think YOU are a better fan than most of the rest of us on this site?

Listen dude, this site is a very good representative cross section of the Hawks fans I know. In fact, outside of this site not ONE SINGLE Hawks fan I know, most of which have been hard core fans of the team since its its first season in 1976, has described that call as anything but "stupid" or "ridiculous" or the like.

Fade

Reaction score
PackerNation":17wgs8zk said:
Fade":17wgs8zk said:
Schneider?

Bevell scouted him and brought it to their attention about how good Wilson was.

In 2012 off-season, Bevell was scouting quarterback Russell Wilson, who attended Wisconsin, his alma mater. Bevell attended Wilson's pro-day which very few NFL scouts attended. Through the off-season, the Seahawks obtained Green Bay Packers back-up quarterback Matt Flynn who experts thought was Bevell's choice of quarterback. Going into the 2012 NFL Draft it was thought Seattle was set at the quarterback position since they had Flynn and Tarvaris Jackson, but for whatever reason Seahawks decided to add one more, drafting Russell Wilson out of University of Wisconsin-Madison in the third round. Thoughts on selecting Wilson, Pete Carroll stated, "It was Bevell's project". In training camp the quarterback competition was thinned out between two, after Jackson was traded to the Buffalo Bills.

nope. Schneider.

Pete Carroll has said so on many occasions.

[youtube]ZDyezKK59aA[/youtube]
3:45 mark

If the Waiting for Wilson doc wasn't enough.

Furthermore Schneider was scouting Wilson in 2011 during the season. Which predates your 2012 offseason claim.

Fade

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2xlp0ky8 said:
What's funny is that you all think you know much more than your really do. That is what is hilarious.

As far as Bevell getting a head coaching job .... What makes you think he was not the one who declined the job? Perhaps he wanted to stay with the Seahawks because he felt it was a good situation at his juncture of his career. Crazy thought ... maybe he likes it here ...

Lynch flipping the bird could have been anything. For starters, it's Marshawn, who beats to his own drummer about pretty much everything. If you think you're in the head of Marshawn, he'd be the first one to kick you out.

All I know is that I see some pretty fareweather Seahawk fans on here. I watched the Minnesota Vikings ship crumble because of unintelligent fans who whined and then got their way because the owner wanted to build a new stadium. How did that work out for them?

Luckily I know that the majority of true 12s don't stoop to the low level of taking snipes at any member of their coaching staff. They believe in the leadership assembled and have been treated to a pretty nice ride as of late. And the team as a whole is confident enough that they wouldn't buckle to this kind of knee-jerk pettiness.

marshawn-lynch-flips-off-the-OC.gif

Marshawn Lynch hears playcall, stands there shocked for second, turns to bench and flips the bird.

hmm..I wonder who it was at? LOL

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":34mt0x3f said:
Siouxhawk":34mt0x3f said:
..........Luckily I know that the majority of true 12s don't stoop to the low level of taking snipes at any member of their coaching staff. They believe in the leadership assembled and have been treated to a pretty nice ride as of late. And the team as a whole is confident enough that they wouldn't buckle to this kind of knee-jerk pettiness.
Aaaaaaaaand there's the "we're better fans than you card". Why don't you say what you really mean, that you think YOU are a better fan than most of the rest of us on this site?

Listen dude, this site is a very good representative cross section of the Hawks fans I know. In fact, outside of this site not ONE SINGLE Hawks fan I know, most of which have been hard core fans of the team since its its first season in 1976, has described that call as anything but "stupid" or "ridiculous" or the like.

Look Dude, I never, ever said anything about being a better fan than anyone else. If you want to internalize that yourself, go ahead and knock yourself out.

The end of SB 49 was a harsh one, no doubt. I think the team as a whole would tell you that. But to single out one person for the entire loss is completely ignorant. None of us have a Crystal Ball to find out what would have happened if Marshawn had been given the ball. We will never know that. Obviously Pete wanted to go with a pass there. He felt it was a good choice. As has been repeated on this site over and over again, a touchdown was there for the taking if things had been executed properly. But it wasn't meant to be. But damnit, the Hawks can still hang their hat on winning two straight NFC championships and the 48 Super Bowl. And that was an effort that took the combined efforts of our coaching staff and roster.

I think most 12s appreciate the fact that we're the team on top right now and everyone else is looking up to us.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Fade":3pd8qhxo said:
Siouxhawk":3pd8qhxo said:

marshawn-lynch-flips-off-the-OC.gif

Marshawn Lynch hears playcall, stands there shocked for second, turns to bench and flips the bird.

hmm..I wonder who it was at? LOL

Yes, exactly ... you wonder, because you don't know. Maybe he was looking at the bench in general. Maybe he was doing it as a decoy against the Cards. Who the heck knows? Certainly not you.

Did we win this game?

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":6tkx9z2e said:

so because we have had 3 good years we now can not critique things? we have been good because of the defense, last time I looked, DB plays no part in that.... as good as we are, I think plenty of hawk fans think we could be better with a better OC..... but your right, lets just be happy that ours literally called the dumbest F*&^%$# play in the history of ever.... and forget the fact he is not creative, could not use a weapon like harvin correctly ( his 2nd time w him) etc etc..... a little bit of winning gets you a pass and the You are not a real 12 card.... that is BS.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Ambrose83":1sbr0lm8 said:
Siouxhawk":1sbr0lm8 said:

so because we have had 3 good years we now can not critique things? we have been good because of the defense, last time I looked, DB plays no part in that.... as good as we are, I think plenty of hawk fans think we could be better with a better OC..... but your right, lets just be happy that ours literally called the dumbest F*&^%$# play in the history of ever.... and forget the fact he is not creative, could not use a weapon like harvin correctly ( his 2nd time w him) etc etc..... a little bit of winning gets you a pass and the You are not a real 12 card.... that is BS.
Because the idea of taking the field is to win the game. And last I looked, we've been doing a lot of that.

Our defense is amazing as you pointed out. Don't you see that that figures into our offensive strategies as well? Pete has laid the ground rules that we will run an offense that minimizes turnovers while maximizing our ground game. He's the boss and Bev designs safe plays within the context of Pete's wishes. Someone called Bevell a 'yes man' Well, what's he supposed to do when your boss believes in this system. A system, by the way, that works.
Another thing to mention is all the good grooming Bev has done to help Russell elevate his game. Ever see them on the sideline? They're constantly dialing up and discussing plays to capitalize on the looks the opposing defense is giving us.
Yeah, I'll stick with Bevell and couldn't be happier that he is employing his knowledge to my favorite team.