Crap. I completely forgot about Earl Thomas being a Raven...

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
HawkStrong":11zmla8z said:
Aros":11zmla8z said:
Pretty sure I haven't seen Earl lighting up the highlight reel this season other than the shot that knocked out the Steelers backup QB. This is 2019 Earl, not 2014 Earl. Not. At. All. Worried.

Now Jackson? Yeah, we had better clamp down on that young man or there will be problems.

The best highlight Earl was in this year is Chubb's long TD, when Earl pulled up short so he didn't pull a hammy.

Wait until Sunday!

Guess who knows Earl's weaknesses better than anyone? RW3. GO HAWKS.

getnasty

Reaction score
ivotuk":342owpvn said:
Clowney has as many INTs as Earl, and more yards/Touchdowns.

Early Thomas 2019 1 INT 2 Passes Defended 19 Tackles

Now, have they been avoiding him?

Tedric Thompson 2019 2 INTs 2 Passes Defended 16 Tackles.

Earl's good, but is he $7 Million dollars for 2019 good? ($32 million dead cap)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-r ... omas-6523/

Tedric on the other hand is costing us $633,001 for 2019 ($672,004 Dead cap)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-sea ... son-21853/

Let's not compare TT to Earl, that might be more disrespectful then flipping someone off.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, Earl is one of the best safeties in the history of the game. Thompson is a below average player who has made a couple plays recently. But he still has a LONG way to go til I trust him overall.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":12ud6seh said:
I’m in Perry Hall. Grew up in Parkville/Towson.

You?

Dang it, just saw this thread and was hoping I could guess before you responded. FWIW, I was going to say, "He a Towson boy, for sure!"

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Speaking of Earl, it was amazing how hard that guy could hit at his size. Gronk basically said that was the hardest hit he's ever taken. Earl could blow guys up in his prime. And the range was ridiculous.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":uwhemzy1 said:
bmorepunk":uwhemzy1 said:
MD5eahawks":uwhemzy1 said:
I live in Baltimore.

What neighborhood?
I’m in Perry Hall. Grew up in Parkville/Towson.

You?

Used to live in Locust Point, then Glen Burnie (ugh). I'm in Colorado now; I don't miss MD across the board but Baltimore City is the best place I've ever lived.

bigskydoc":uwhemzy1 said:
Dang it, just saw this thread and was hoping I could guess before you responded. FWIW, I was going to say, "He a Towson boy, for sure!"

Those fancy north county people talk like normals. I understand the weird Baltimore accents, but some of those south county people start talking about drinking wooder out of the zinc then going downie ocean and I get lost.

HawkStrong

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":ewygoywc said:
Speaking of Earl, it was amazing how hard that guy could hit at his size. Gronk basically said that was the hardest hit he's ever taken. Earl could blow guys up in his prime. And the range was ridiculous.

Sports Science did a show on this few years ago, that type of hit (speedy DB hitting a receiver across the middle of the field) generated the most force of any hit on the field.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/advent ... 4/4212171/

allblackraven

Reaction score
There are some misconceptions around Earl's play as a Raven.

So far, he's been very good and reliable. Lack of stats is due to two main reasons - sub par play by the rest of secondary, except Humphrey and no help in coverage from any of linebackers. Ravens are also not able to pressure quarterbacks from inside, so pass rush is not working, forcing the back end to cover for extended time.

Weddle and Mosley used to command the D and with them signing elsewhere, communication has become real issue - Onwuasor and Jefferson get overwhelmed when they have a mic. Looks a bit better now that Clark took over that duty.

All that said, Earl is taking care of his third and isn't targeted at all, resulting in just one INT so far (2nd vs Pittsburgh he got robbed by bad refs call).

Hope is that Peters will be big help, compared to Averett and Canady (Jimmy Smith injured week 1, Tavon Young in training camp, now Jefferson and Elliott also lost for season). How much Peters can do after 2 practices is a big question but I'll take him over any other Ravens corner not named Humphrey.

Russell is playing out of his mind for quite some time now and I'm not holding my breath but the weather looks to be on the Ravens side on Sunday. We'll fight.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
allblackraven":28xx3y67 said:

So far, he's been very good and reliable. Lack of stats is due to two main reasons - sub par play by the rest of secondary, except Humphrey and no help in coverage from any of linebackers. Ravens are also not able to pressure quarterbacks from inside, so pass rush is not working, forcing the back end to cover for extended time.

Weddle and Mosley used to command the D and with them signing elsewhere, communication has become real issue - Onwuasor and Jefferson get overwhelmed when they have a mic. Looks a bit better now that Clark took over that duty.

All that said, Earl is taking care of his third and isn't targeted at all, resulting in just one INT so far (2nd vs Pittsburgh he got robbed by bad refs call).

Hope is that Peters will be big help, compared to Averett and Canady (Jimmy Smith injured week 1, Tavon Young in training camp, now Jefferson and Elliott also lost for season). How much Peters can do after 2 practices is a big question but I'll take him over any other Ravens corner not named Humphrey.

Russell is playing out of his mind for quite some time now and I'm not holding my breath but the weather looks to be on the Ravens side on Sunday. We'll fight.
Thanks for bringing a little insight from the opponent and welcome to .NET. Lots of very informed posters here and a few DEformed posters (which may or may not include me ;)). Informative opponents are always welcome.

olyfan63

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":18nlfdab said:
allblackraven":18nlfdab said:
<snip>
<snip>
Thanks for bringing a little insight from the opponent and welcome to .NET. Lots of very informed posters here and a few DEformed posters (which may or may not include me ;)). Informative opponents are always welcome.

AllBlackRaven, Seconded, thank you for the insight, and win or lose, do come back and give the Ravens perspective on what went down in a couple post-game threads here.

This has that feeling of one of those games where a LOT of wild plays can happen on both sides. I have a hunch that Carroll and our OC Schotty realize we will have to OUTSCORE your Ravens in order to win this thing, because our D hasn't been nearly good enough this year to keep it a low-20-point game. One thing for sure, our special teams will have to do better than give up all the big plays, TDs and short fields they've given up this year, and word is Ravens special teams have played very well this year. Anyway, I'm hoping for a beat down by the Ravens---against the Rams and 49ers, that is!

olyfan63

Reaction score
Rat":1gwe0877 said:
I want to see Lockett or DK burn him, and then flip him off on the way to the end zone. I'd gladly accept the 15-yard penalty.
I don't even hate Earl, I just think it would be funny.

I'm waiting to see if the Seattle fans flip off Earl every time he exits or enters the tunnel.

allblackraven

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":zu4cbq9c said:
allblackraven":zu4cbq9c said:

Thank you.

The situation is pretty much identical over at my house ( https://purpleflock.com ) and we always welcome fans of other teams to some real football talk.

I must say, feels weird being welcomed to Seahawks board by a guy from Baltimore :p

John63

Reaction score
allblackraven":265wlc6j said:

Lol were back to the does not play well in the rain? Ahh he has had to this year and played great so I think that myth has been debunked.

allblackraven

Reaction score
olyfan63":3es1snze said:
MD5eahawks":3es1snze said:
allblackraven":3es1snze said:
<snip>
<snip>

AllBlackRaven, Seconded, thank you for the insight, and win or lose, do come back and give the Ravens perspective on what went down in a couple post-game threads here.

This has that feeling of one of those games where a LOT of wild plays can happen on both sides. I have a hunch that Carroll and our OC Schotty realize we will have to OUTSCORE your Ravens in order to win this thing, because our D hasn't been nearly good enough this year to keep it a low-20-point game. One thing for sure, our special teams will have to do better than give up all the big plays, TDs and short fields they've given up this year, and word is Ravens special teams have played very well this year. Anyway, I'm hoping for a beat down by the Ravens---against the Rams and 49ers, that is!

I never thought I'll see Seahawks-Ravens game in which both teams place all their hopes on offense and pray their D won't screw up too much.

BTW, thanks for beating the rest of AFC North, I really enjoyed it!

allblackraven

Reaction score
John63":11doeii5 said:
allblackraven":11doeii5 said:

Lol were back to the does not play well in the rain? Ahh he has had to this year and played great so I think that myth has been debunked.
That's not what I meant - just that the rainy weather is conducive to running game, which should favor my Ravens.