Could you Imagine Pete Carroll doing this?

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Mike Pettine as the Head Coach suggests to Kyle Shanahan what to call and the look Shanahan gives is priceless. Pettine gets the Idea and let’s Shanahan call his play. I would’ve loved to be a fly on the wall for those 3 minutes Carroll and Schotty were going at each other for 3 minutes on a 4th and 1 play which resulted in a penalty. This is why I hate having defense minded head coaches. They meddle too much in the offense. I prefer offense minded head coaches because they hire defensive coordinators and give them free reigns to do whatever the heck they want. Look at our division. Brandon Staley from the Rams, Robert Saleh from the Niners and Vance Joseph from the Cardinals.

[youtube]9Dkjb-QAcu8[/youtube]

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ludakrishna":3cx1eu53 said:
Mike Pettine as the Head Coach suggests to Kyle Shanahan what to call and the look Shanahan gives is priceless. Pettine gets the Idea and let’s Shanahan call his play. I would’ve loved to be a fly on the wall for those 3 minutes Carroll and Schotty were going at each other for 3 minutes on a 4th and 1 play which resulted in a penalty. This is why I hate having defense minded head coaches. They meddle too much in the offense. I prefer offense minded head coaches because they hire defensive coordinators and give them free reigns to do whatever the heck they want. Look at our division. Brandon Staley from the Rams, Robert Saleh from the Niners and Vance Joseph from the Cardinals.

I don’t know how much Pete “interferes”, as I’m not there, but....

I’d rather have a defensive minded head coach as long as they don’t have their hands in the offensive cookie jar.

You hired your coordinators, trust that decision, and delegate the play calling authority. Doesn’t mean you can’t step in at times, but don’t micromanage.

If you as a HC wants to call the plays, then don’t have a coordinator for that side of the ball.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm sure he does at times. I'm sure Pettine overruled Shanahan many times during their time together as well.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
ludakrishna":1ycoueqd said:

Defensive coaches can be great head coaches.

Belichick is a defensive minded coach and largely stays away from McDaniel’s play calls.

The key is trusting your OC and giving them the respect that they know how to call situational football.

Pete Carroll just wants total control, 100 percent of the time, especially crucial times.

Latest posts