Clowney? Yes Please.

Chawker

Reaction score
At what price ? Sure he has talent and can be a difference maker. I question his influence on a team down the stretch. At his age Clowney needs to be more outspoken with his team, in a good way.

toffee

Reaction score
He was great, just not consistently great.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I'm sure he'll somehow manage to miss all training camp before signing with whoever.

massari

Reaction score
If they lose out on Chandler Jones and Von Miller, Clowney or Harold Landry should be the priority.

Speculation is that Frank Clark and Za’Darius Smith are possible cap casualties. More good options.

Not that Carroll will ever be willing to spend enough money on the DL to get these kind of guys though

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
massari":2rpzf42u said:
If they lose out on Chandler Jones and Von Miller, Clowney or Harold Landry should be the priority.

Speculation is that Frank Clark and Za’Darius Smith are possible cap casualties. More good options.

Not that Carroll will ever be willing to spend enough money on the DL to get these kind of guys though

I was thinking about ALL those names. Frank Clark (cap issues potentially that i might not understand) shouldn't have been let go - when i see him play, i'm like 'damn'.

The other thing that I was thinking is your comment about enough money. Agreed. Can we run the team like a football squad, and not a DIY soap scrub recipie on pinterest? Someone should tell Pete that you don't have to 'make' everything. You don't have to make an edge rusher. You can buy them too!

You don't have to make an Olineman - you can buy those too!!!

Maybe he just doesn't know!

Cyrus12

Reaction score
We should bring back Cj Procise..Earl Thomas..Golden Tate...Sidney Rice too...

What is with this place wanting to bring back guys that were never that good to begin with? How about looking at someone new??

olyfan63

Reaction score
Clowney probably has some tread left on his tires. Let's just not mortgage the farm for him. He was a one-man wrecking crew vs. SF that one Monday or Thursday or whatever night game. And that was while he was nursing an abdominal issue IIRC. If only he could bring that type of impact every game...

massari

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1f9nz2ep said:

What is with this place wanting to bring back guys that were never that good to begin with? How about looking at someone new??
Clowney had zero help when he was here. Despite getting doubled so often, and sometimes triple teamed, he still managed a pressure % of 13% to go with being elite run defender, and being as versatile as he is.

He was even doubled a decent amount last season despite playing alongside Garrett

FJFpR4ZXwDoaxluformatjpgnamesmall

Having Dunlap and Taylor this time around will help his sack numbers.

He's an injury risk, and lacks bend, but obviously would be a great addition for the right price.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
massari":2p2d8a36 said:

Yes it's just not in Pete and John's DNA to go out and spend 18-20M a year on a free agent Edge rusher like Jones or Miller. Which is probably what it'll take once the bidding war begins for the top tier guys.

I'd be OK with bringing Clowney back in the 10M a year range. He had 9 sacks last year, which would have led the Hawks. Maybe a little skewed because he played on a VERY good D-line front, so probably shouldn't expect that kind of output from him here with our K-Mart D-line we keep rolling out.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If the price is right? Hell yes. Go get the guy. He has plenty left on the tank.
Clearly, injuries have always been an issue. Throw in some incentives for games played, sacks etc.

A-Dog

Reaction score
I think the fact that we will be doubling down on Bear fronts (call it 3-4 or 5-2) on mixed downs makes Clowney interesting because he can be effective at multiple positions. He played as both a 3-4 OLB and 3-4 DE in Houston and has been effective. He's maybe not heavy enough to play a ton of snaps at Big End or 3-Technique DT in base but certainly can be effective at those spots with his length and strength/explosion in vs the run. I don't know how much he's been asked to drop in to coverage in recent years but his athleticism, length and awareness would be assets in that regard.

[youtube]hpauvMhqBzs[/youtube]

I think he'd be a good and versatile fit depending on the $$$ - especially if we try to upgrade Leo/OLB via the draft.

massari

Reaction score
Only 3 sacks! Clowney is a bum.
[youtube]FmR_o8DJVg4[/youtube]

Own The West

Reaction score
massari":3rsol6b6 said:
Cyrus12":3rsol6b6 said:

Clowney had zero help when he was here. Despite getting doubled so often, and sometimes triple teamed, he still managed a pressure % of 13% to go with being elite run defender, and being as versatile as he is.

He was even doubled a decent amount last season despite playing alongside Garrett

FJFpR4ZXwDoaxluformatjpgnamesmall

Having Dunlap and Taylor this time around will help his sack numbers.

He's an injury risk, and lacks bend, but obviously would be a great addition for the right price.

Interesting that Taylor and Von Miller have such similar stats. Makes me think we should stay out of the Miller market.

Chandler Jones and Dunlap are very similar players as well. Do you go after Jones and then platoon him?

Every year we are looking for help at the 3 and 5 tech. I'd be more inclined to go after Calais Campbell and/or Akiem Hicks. Bilal Nichols could fit a role here too.

I don't trust Clowney. And I'm not convinced that his success last year wasn't heavily predicated on Miles Garrett's presence.

massari

Reaction score
Own The West":1qjv7vyh said:
I don't trust Clowney. And I'm not convinced that his success last year wasn't heavily predicated on Miles Garrett's presence.
Garrett had a career high in pressure % and sacks playing next to Clowney last season. Clowney was doubled as much as Garrett, so they both likely benefited from each other. With the Hawks, he didn't have a guy like that to help him. Now he'd have Dunlap and Taylor, who would both have easier jobs with Clowney around.

2019 with Hawks:
ENDfrOZW4AARu7Qformatjpgnamesmall

2019 Hawks: 13 games, 3 sacks, 13% Pressure
playoffs: 2 games, 1.5 sacks

2021 Browns: 14 games, 9 sacks, 14% Pressure

Latest posts